Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Parking at DEN" thread

Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz 5*

Am I the only one who enters the DIA parking garage even though the signs say all levels are "FULL"??? I have always found a spot...always.
Usually within 10-15 min of searching.

Last edited by JLaw725; Apr 12, 2006 at 10:40 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K; F9 Summit
Originally Posted by JLaw725
Am I the only one who enters the DIA parking garage even though the sings say all levels are "FULL"??? I have always found a spot...always.
Usually within 10-15 min of searching.
FULL is the best time to enter. That means there's a good spot up close because everyone else believes the signs.

Btw, this isn't really UA-specific and should prob go to the Western USA forum.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz 5*
DIA Parking

Originally Posted by ozweepay
FULL is the best time to enter. That means there's a good spot up close because everyone else believes the signs.

Btw, this isn't really UA-specific and should prob go to the Western USA forum.
LOL, true. Is it UAL specific if I mention that the WEST side is always full and I still go in?
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Omni Gold, Hilton Gold, *Wood Gold
I always go in as well. There is only one time I had to drive around for more than 10 minutes to find a spot.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:35 am

Programs: UA/*A nobody, Bonvoy Plat, SW A-list, Hertz 5* (but who isn't???)
Denver area/DEN airport long term parking for a 'part time' resident

I live in Omaha currently but my job is in Colorado (small town 3 hrs SW of DEN). I am considering taking a second residence in Colorado so I would go between OMA and DEN every few weeks (more frequently than I do now).

Part of the planning involves whether to own a second cheaper used car in Colorado vs. renting a car every time I come. Hertz 5-Star has been great but the highly variable rental rates would be tough to predict. Sure, work pays for a rental car when I infrequently go to the office, but if I take a residence there they are less willing to shoulder costs of a rental car for so many trips. Owning would mean a more predictable car budget in CO but I'd need to find cheap/secure long term parking either near DEN airport or along the AF SkyRide route somewhere away from the airport. The remoteness of the job location pretty much necessitates a personal vehicle - no public transport exists to this town (however, happily I would be able to bike to work once in CO and the car could stay parked the majority of the week - I just need a way to get from DIA<>this town each trip).

Has anyone ever worked out a long-term arrangement for keeping a car at a hotel or other business parking lot for 2-3 weeks at a time ? Do the Denver RTD park-n-ride lots allow moderately long term parking?

I don't know anyone directly in the Denver area where I could use a residence to leave a car, besides it would need to be convenient enough to get to/from when transiting DEN airport.

Any ideas for where I might cheaply park my Colorado car when not in town would be appreciated. Not sure I really want to put up with Pikes Peak long term parking lot, any other ideas?

(and to preemptively head off an expected question - no, I am unable to just simply move permanently to Colorado at this time. As a divorcee I still have family obligations in Omaha but wish to begin spending more time in Colorado).

Last edited by omahajim; Jun 4, 2008 at 1:03 am
Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:30 am

Programs: CO, HH, LH, F9
RTD is no good

RTD Park-and-Rides have a loose no overnight parking policy. I say loose as I've known people who work in Downtown Denver and have parked their car at a Park-and-Ride, went for drinks after work and couldn't drive home. They didn't get towed but they did get the car the next day. For your purposes, I think your car would get impounded if you used one.

I'm not sure if a parking garage in downtown or in the DTC would have an average daily cost of $5/day which is what Pikes Peak charges. I agree with your consternation about Pikes as I've waited over an hour at DIA waiting for the bus and no longer use Pikes unless I'm departing and arriving during a weekday. The bus' seem to run more consistently during the work week than weekends.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by omahajim
Do the Denver RTD park-n-ride lots allow moderately long term parking?
I've left my car at the Stapleton park-and-ride for as long as 10 days. It seems to be actively encouraged by RTD.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 5:02 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Choice, Avis, Hertz
Check out rtd-denver.com for more details, but on there they encourage long-term parkers that are using Skyride to park at either Stapleton or 40th/Airport Blvd.

An off-site option would be FastTrack airport parking, formerly PCA. They've cut their prices recently to $6.75/day plus $2 one-time fee. They also have a punch card and after 30 days paid you get a 10-day stay free.

For what you are looking for, I might look on Craigslist and see if you can find somebody located convenient to RTD that has a garage for rent.

When you add it all up (insurance, registration, maintenance, parking) you might be better off renting with Priceline or something.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k
RTD Park-and-Rides have a loose no overnight parking policy. I say loose as I've known people who work in Downtown Denver and have parked their car at a Park-and-Ride, went for drinks after work and couldn't drive home. They didn't get towed but they did get the car the next day. For your purposes, I think your car would get impounded if you used one.

I'm not sure if a parking garage in downtown or in the DTC would have an average daily cost of $5/day which is what Pikes Peak charges. I agree with your consternation about Pikes as I've waited over an hour at DIA waiting for the bus and no longer use Pikes unless I'm departing and arriving during a weekday. The bus' seem to run more consistently during the work week than weekends.
Huh???

My fiance has left her car at the Park N Ride for up to two weeks, even during the Christmas Blizzard of 2006! No issues at all. I did tell her to hide the shovel in the trunk, less some poor soul break in to her car in search of a shovel!

As has been said, the RTD encourages the practice. They run a bus to these lots from the airport, for like $5. It's a heckuva deal. Far better public transit options than COS, which can't even seem to run a public bus to the airport!
Old Jun 10, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: F9 Ascent, UA, AA, AS, ICH PA, Hertz PC.....
Hmmmm

3 hrs SW DEN...Canon City? Fort Carson?

What about flying in/out of COS or PUB or EGE? (depending on where) A smaller airport might have better opportunities for creative car parking...?

RFTraveler
Old Jun 10, 2008, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RFTraveler
Hmmmm

3 hrs SW DEN...Canon City? Fort Carson?

What about flying in/out of COS
Was thinking the same thing. A colleague of mine used to leave the car @ COS long-term airport parking for 1-3 weeks all the time. She also used to do "mini-leases" through hertz which, though not sure they still exist, worked out to about $10-15/day and parking @ Hertz lot was free (including a wash).

@ $5/day (30day max) I think Pike's peak is the best you'll find without "bending" a rule or two.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
I've had pretty good success with US Airport Parking. When I when to grab the link to paste here, I saw that they have prepaid monthly and annual parking.

For normal parking there, there are a lot of 10% discounts to be had; if you have AAA, then the discount is 15%, though I don't know if it applies to the prepaid options.

http://www.usairportparking.com/rates.asp
Old Mar 25, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
RTD-Denver now charges for parking at their Park n Rides. It seems to be money down the drain for $250,000 projected revenue vs hassling customers. The only one coming ahead of this is the private parking enforcers.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat
Wow there's a lot of misinformation here.

http://www2.rtd-denver.com/RTDNews/N...0NR%202009.pdf

You can park at the park-n-ride for up to 15 days, or up to 30 if you have written permission. The cost for the 40th and Pena (Airport Blvd.) lot is $1/day if your vehicle is registered in the Denver metro or $2/day registered outside the Denver metro. If you sign up for an automated account, you get a 15% discount.

Even with the per-day charges, this is still by far the best deal in airport parking pretty much anywhere, except for trips <4 days. (The bus fare to/from the airport from the 40th & Pena stop is $8 each way.)

COS has *heinous* options for long term parking compared to DEN.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 11:15 am

Airport Parking Deals - Denver?

wondering if anyone knows of a site with deals for airport parking (particularly Denver)... I know this isnt necessarily related to miles, but thought someone here might be able to point me in the right direction, please?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.