Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Portland, Oregon, or PDX restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA, WN, IC AMB
Portland Restaurants

Off to Portland this Thursday to Monday. Hitting up Willamette on Friday. Doing hiking Saturday evening and Sunday morning. Any suggestions on must eat restaurants? Otherwise we'll probably just hit up winebars a majority of the time. Oh, we're staying at The Nines.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Dundee Bistro, Genoa & Higgins are three good choices.....
Genoa is a bit north of DT, Higgins is right DT and DB is out in the wine country.
Have fun!
Old Jun 15, 2009, 3:55 pm

Genoa closed last November.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Higgins is *fantastic* - one of my favorite places in the USA. I like to go to the pub side of the place. Reservations needed for a table Sat night (or you can sit at the bar). With drinks, you can easily spend $75-100 or more for two - can't remember if this matters. Get some of the house cured meats and fish. Try one of the Hair of the Dog beers if you aren't absolutely set on drinking wine. I am not a religious person, but if I were, I am pretty sure God can be found in this place ... did I mention I like it?

If you are in town for breakfast, Mother's (right downtown) is really worth a visit (expect a 20 min wait on weekends, esp. Sunday).

Some Stumptown coffee and Voodoo donuts (a block apart on 3rd - I think) is another option for breakfast.

Andina in the Pearl district is quite good (Peruvian).

Cheapo Mexican on Hawthorne is Porque No -- not bad.

Typhoon is OK in my opinion, but I don't make a point to go there.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Boardroom, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Meixner007
Off to Portland this Thursday to Monday. Hitting up Willamette on Friday. Doing hiking Saturday evening and Sunday morning. Any suggestions on must eat restaurants? Otherwise we'll probably just hit up winebars a majority of the time. Oh, we're staying at The Nines.
Dundee Bistro is ok, limited choices in wine country, but you may want to check out the Joel Palmer house. Be forewarned, you must like mushrooms. It's a fantastic treat.

As for Portland Itself, where to start: Andina (YES), Blue Hour (YES) in the Pearl, Le Pigeon (I love it, but not everyone does) just over the river.

Pizza: Ken's Artisan, but you're going to wait a while......

Indian: East India Company near the Governor Hotel

All dinner places for sure. You can check out Lovely Hula Hands and Equinox, both in North Portland in Mississippi. There's just too much to say, ohh and try Pok Pok.

Breakfast for me is down to two places, Tin Shed on Alberta and in Hawthorne check out Bread and Ink Cafe. However, I'll likely get flamed for that one, since so many take it seriously.

And for Beer........

Last edited by PDXOutbound; Jun 16, 2009 at 1:39 pm
Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:40 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by PDXOutbound
There's just too much to say, ohh and try Pok Pok.
Pok Pok = Yes Yes!! http://pokpokpdx.com/
Old Jun 16, 2009, 1:55 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by kdis
Genoa closed last November.
OH NO!! A favorite Italian spot for us. Any suggestions on comparable food and atmosphere? We had several special occasion meals over the years there. It will be greatly missed in our household....
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Boardroom, HH Diamond, National Executive
I never went to Genoa, but Giorgio's in the Pearl was good. My wife is in the wine industry so I get to tag along for the events.....but PLEASE stay away from Moma Mia (Mothers sister bistro). NO, no....no.

I think Italian and good Indian in PDX is rough.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite; SPG Platinum
Visiting Portland - best restaurants?

My spouse and I will be visiting Portland from Vancouver, B.C. for at least two nights. We are looking for suggestions about where to eat.

We prefer organic/free-range meats and generally stick to healthy foods - nothing deep-fried for us. My spouse is lactose-intolerant so that is a consideration too.

While we would consider going for a high-end meal, I think we would prefer something delicious and cheap to something delicious and expensive. Atmosphere is not important and we are not big drinkers.

Ideas? We're going to check out Pok Pok for sure, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the choices, especially when it comes to food carts.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 9:06 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I love Pok Pok, I go there every time I'm in Portland. I also like Typhoon, a Thai restaurant in the Hotel Lucia in downtown Portland. http://www.typhoonrestaurants.com/typhoon/

You might also check out this recent thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...rant-help.html
Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:33 am

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Travel and Leisure just published an article on PDX restaurants:
http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...edge-cuisine/1. You can't go wrong with their suggestions.

Portland Monthly magazine also did a cover a story on food carts one month ago.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:27 pm

I liked Vertiable Quandary. The location is nice, near Waterfront Park.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
I too am a Pok Pok fan - super!

Here's a link to the Portlandfood.org site for restaurants

Here's a link to the Portlandfood.org site for food carts
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Daawgon
I too am a Pok Pok fan - super!

Here's a link to the Portlandfood.org site for restaurants

Here's a link to the Portlandfood.org site for food carts
Just ate at Pok Pok. The food was fine but not outstanding. service was excellent.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Originally Posted by PIONEER
Just ate at Pok Pok. The food was fine but not outstanding. service was excellent.
Next time try the Vietnamese Wings!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.