Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Portland, Oregon, or PDX restaurants" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2004, 4:12 pm

Programs: delta airlines
Great Thai

Originally Posted by Jassy-50
We are going to be in Portland this weekend. Unfortunately, with travel times, we will only have one full day, Saturday, for being tourists. However, we will have Friday and Saturday nights for dining, and so I am looking for any suggestions for delicious restaurants in downtown Portland (we will be staying at the downtown Hilton).

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Thai Orchid...located on Burnside...the Hilton can direct you....has great Thai....it is owned by a Delta Flight Attendent....#93 Basil Fried Rice...and #21...Spicy Beef Salad are excellent....Morton's in Portland is horrible...sorry if you are a Morton's fan....also...in the Pearl District...The Blue Hour is a great place.....the Brazen Bean for Martini's on NW Glisan and 21or 23rd....have a great time and bring a jacket...it is chilly and we are expecting rain! undefined
Old Oct 26, 2004, 4:13 pm

Programs: delta airlines
Genoa

Have heard amazing reviews...has anyone else ever been?
Old Oct 26, 2004, 4:25 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Smile

Papa Haydn for dessert

http://portland.citysearch.com/profile/8465203/
Old Oct 31, 2004, 3:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
I'm going to Andina tonight and will report back.

I've heard too many really awful reports about clarklewis. It's so freaking dark in there they give you a flashlight just to read the menu. Not dining friendly in my book. It's just one of those hip restaurants that will probably die on the vine in a couple of years. <yawn.> I don't think it's terribly cheap either.

Hurley's ^^^ Carafe ^^^

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Gourmet Mag’s (Oct 04) “Big Deal / Good Deal” restaurants in Portland

Big Deal = Gourmet, Elegant food
Good Deal = “cheap” local’s spots

Big Deal Restaurants:

Hurley's
1987 Northwest Kearney Street

Andina
1314 Northwest Glisan Street

Good Deal Restaurants:

Clarklewis
1001 Southeast Water Avenue

Carafe
200 Southwest Market Street
Yeah, I've been about 4 times, but not in the last 10 years or so. It was infamous for year for being deathly dark inside, but with a recent change in chef-owner they've lightened up the dining room by uncovering the windows. I'm not sure if they still offer it anymore but they do have a 4-course option in addition to the 7-course. If you go, see if the lounge room in the back is still open. Nice place to sip an appertif.

Have heard amazing reviews...has anyone else ever been (to Genoa)?

Last edited by essxjay; Oct 31, 2004 at 3:26 pm
Old Nov 2, 2004, 6:23 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Genoa

Genoa is and, has been, for thirty years, our favorite splurge (special occasion) restaurant. It has been consistent over the years, even with the ownership change. Great food, great wine list, great constitency are all hallmarks of Genoa. Essx is right that one must partake of an apperifif prior to sitting down to the seven course dinner. Fortunately portions are small, so that one has room for the outstanding deserts and fruit. Don't misunderstand, one will not go away hungry.

The lightening up of the dining room certainly, IMHO, has improved the ambiance of the interior. Yet, I liked the historical darkness as well.

Expect to pay top end of the scale prices for this excellent restaurant. Be sure to reserve early because of the limited seating especially if you have more than 4.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
<sigh>

The aforementioned Hurley's as well as the venerable Higgins has excised foie gras from their menus to do "animal welfare rights" pressure.

<sigh>
Old Dec 22, 2004, 4:18 pm

2 Great Portland Restaurants

Here are two Portland restaurants that I rave about every time I go:

Oba! www.obarestaurant.com
A favorite Pearl District destination that blends fresh northwest ingredients with a Latin theme. I was there two weeks ago, and had the crab cake entree, generous portion size and amazing flavor. The margaritas are regarded as one of the best if not THE best in town. If you want a great deal, get there for happy hour and sample all the different flavors Oba has to offer. The service is usually very good, and the atmosphere is lively and upscale. I recently had a private business banquet there and it was a huge success. If you are looking for a dining experience with a little more zest than the normal Northwest cuisine, you can't go wrong at Oba!

Portland City Grill www.portlandcitygrill.com
If you're visiting Portland, and want the best view in the city, this is the place to go. Located on the 30th floor of "big pink," there isn't a better place to eat great food and see Portland (if it's not raining!). Like OBA, PCG has an amazing happy hour menu, and if you get there before 5pm, you have a great shot at a window view overlooking the city, and views of Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens. PCG specializes in seafood with various Pacific Rim influences. The mahi mahi and halibut are always very good. I haven't eaten steak there yet, but I've heard nothing but good things.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 11, 2005, 7:25 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Cheap Eats according to City Search
http://portland.citysearch.com/besto...005/cheap_eats

1. Nicholas' Restaurant
318 SE Grand Ave, Portland, OR
Where shabby isn't chic, but the prices let you nosh it up for pennies.

2. The Cheerful Tortoise
1939 SW 6th Ave, Portland, OR
This college bar is a study in nightly specials and televised sports.

3. Cha! Cha! Cha!
1208 NW Glisan St, Portland, OR
Festive taqueria in the Pearl offers a variety of tacos and other traditional dishes.

4. Pho Van
1919 SE 82ND Ave, Portland, OR
A noodle house that brings a bit of trendiness to 82nd Avenue.

5. Helvetia Tavern
10275 NW Helvetia Rd, Hillsboro, OR
A lovely pastoral setting makes this burger joint a perfect country-ride destination.

6. El Burrito Loco
1942 N Portland Blvd, Portland, OR
Fresh, first-rate Mexican food served up in plentiful portions.

7. Le Bistro Montage
301 SE Morrison St, Portland, OR
Inexpensive Cajun-style fare in a place where you never know who you'll share a table with.

8. Pizzicato Gourmet Pizza
705 SW Alder St, Portland, OR
This Portland-based mini-chain serves up sophisticated slices.

9. Hoda's Middle Eastern Cuisine
3401 SE Belmont St, Portland, OR
Middle Eastern food done right, with prices and setting to match.

10. Escape From New York Pizza
622 NW 23RD Ave, Portland, OR
A slice to satisfy a true New Yorker.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Portland OR - Thxgvng Day - Restaurants

Hi Folks:

I'm going to be arriving in Portland, OR, at about 6:30pm, staying downtown (Hilton Portland).

Any suggestions for somewhere to get some evening food on Thanksgiving Day? I am NOT looking for turkey etc, or to spend a fortune (it's an MR trip!) - and anyway it looks like the hotel/finer restaurants doing a turkey dinner buffet will be closed by evening time.

I'd read somewhere that Chinese restaurants might be open. Anything else walkable from the Hilton? A bit of local flavor and character would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:18 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Typhoon is four or five blocks down the street from the Hilton on Broadway and is attached to the Hotel Lucia so it may be open. Give them a call.

http://www.typhoonrestaurants.com/locbroadway.htm

Typhoon! on Broadway
410 SW Broadway (at Hotel Lucia), Portland, OR 97205
Ph: 503.224-8285 • Fax: 503.224-3468
E-mail: [email protected]
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:20 am

Thanks - they're open!
Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by hangpilot
Thanks - they're open!
Great, I think you'll enjoy it. Try the Lemongrass Clam Chowder, it's delicious.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by hangpilot
Thanks - they're open!
So, how was dinner?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL 1.3MM/SM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum
I am going to have to pop in there next time I am in PDX and try the Lemongrass Clam Chowder! Sounds Amazing, I always stay at The Westin downtown, doesnt sound too far from there.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 8:32 pm

It was.....

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
So, how was dinner?
I never made it to Typhoon! LOTS of restaurants were open - so it seems I was worrying about nothing. On the train from the airport I spotted a McCormick & Schmicks, and after checking into the hotel, seafood sounded better than Thai, so i made my way back to M&S a bit tired and happy to have seen somewhere easy to get to. Some excellent oysters and razor clams later I was happy!

Thanks so much for the suggestion anyway - next time I'm there I'll try to do Typhoon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.