Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Restaurants in/near Seattle/SEA - suggestions & questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2007, 1:17 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by cbd_sea
A lot of good suggestions; Met. Grill, Ray's Boathouse, Tamarind Tree are all great, if you live here or have multiple nights. Since the OP asked for what sounds like only ONE nice spot in the downtown area, i'd recommend wild ginger.

Last time i was there the editor of a major national wine magazine was there dining and chatting it up with the sommelier... It is uniquely Seattle and I've had some nice meals there.
See - this is what's great about Seattle and its food. . .I hate Wild Ginger except for having excellent mojitos at theri bar I find it overpriced, major attitudey, and the antithesis of what Seattle is really all about.

I would do an Argosy boat cruise but their food is fair at best imo. The Spirit of Washington train goes out to Woodinville, has a dinner portion, and is fun as well.

Salish Lodge has excellent food and views as well but isn't in the downtown corridor. I enjoy Place Pigalle and Cafe Campagne which haven't been mentioned either. Pink Door is a nice place during the summer to sit on the terrace and have a drink while enjoying the view outdoors.
Old May 13, 2007, 10:23 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by ldsant
See - this is what's great about Seattle and its food. . .I hate Wild Ginger except for having excellent mojitos at theri bar I find it overpriced, major attitudey, and the antithesis of what Seattle is really all about.
Completely agree. How it continues to draw people in is a mystery to me. Niche marketing I guess.
I would do an Argosy boat cruise but their food is fair at best imo. The Spirit of Washington train goes out to Woodinville, has a dinner portion, and is fun as well.
Provided the train makes the trip without running over somebody, which is an ongoing problem.
Salish Lodge has excellent food and views as well but isn't in the downtown corridor. I enjoy Place Pigalle and Cafe Campagne which haven't been mentioned either. Pink Door is a nice place during the summer to sit on the terrace and have a drink while enjoying the view outdoors.
And "big" Campagne upstairs is still one of the best places in town IMO.

I'd also recommend Sazerac in the Hotel Monaco. Great NW/Cajun fusion; good breakfasts too.
Old May 17, 2007, 11:17 pm

Programs: Delta SM
Chez Shea--by far, the best dinner I have ever had in Seattle. Great view, too.
http://www.chezshea.com/
Old May 18, 2007, 1:02 am

Some of the suggestions here are solid - Dahlia Lounge, Chez Shea, and Tamarind Tree should all be at or near the top of anyone's list - but there are dozens of truly excellent restaurants in Seattle. (And, unfortunately, a lot of ho-hum and outright bad places.) It's definitely a city that punches above its weight with respect to food (consider that it's about the same size as Jacksonville, FL.)

I really recommend reading and searching the Pacific Northwest Chowhound boards for more complete recommendations based on what's really important to you. (i.e. cuisine, ingredients, atmosphere, location, view, etc.)

I do not recommend Wild Ginger. It's fine for what it is, but it's not in the same league as the Dahlia. Likewise, the Met - most cities have a decent steakhouse (and a lot of people could grill a fine steak at home). If you only have a night in a new place, why go to a pretty generic (if excellent) steakhouse?

Last edited by terrier; May 18, 2007 at 1:08 am
Old Jun 12, 2007, 6:17 pm

Programs: American, United
Returned from Seattle

Thanks, all, for the tips here. I had some good dining experiences, including the Salish Lodge, recommended earlier in this thread. I've posted a surprise (to me, anyway!) tip as a new thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=703486
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? The Space Needle?

Originally Posted by JohnMcG
Thanks, all, for the tips here. I had some good dining experiences, including the Salish Lodge, recommended earlier in this thread.
Out of curiosity, where else did you go?
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:00 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
I know, I just read his posting about the Space Needle food. I think it was a fluke or something. I've never had good service and/or food there.

On another hand, I did eat at Kingfish Cafe on 19th and Mercer last night. Cute place, soild service DELICIOUS yam fries but my catfish crab cakes were so so. I would go back for the yam fries but I don't know about anything else.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:19 pm

Programs: American, United
chexfan...was only there for the weekend...had hoped to go to the Metropolitan Grill, but had a harbor-facing room at the Edgewater, so room service and enjoying our balcony won out.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 9:56 am

Programs: Lifetime Hilton Diamond; UA 1K; Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JohnMcG
I'm going to Seattle next month and hoping to get a good recommendation for a nice dinner spot in the downtown area...any suggestions? Thanks!
Saltys on Alki is decent but you really go for the killer view of Seattle.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 11:40 pm

Any recommendations for a good Indian restaurant in the Bellevue/Redmond, WA area?

Something that has good curries and tandoori cooking. Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 2:58 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I like Moghul Palace.

Here is what citysearch brought back

http://seattle.citysearch.com/search...0&searchOpt=cs

please let us know what you find!
Old Jun 20, 2007, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Any recommendations for a place serving Tamil food (south Indian) anywhere in Western Washington? Do they serve it on a banana leaf?
Old Jun 21, 2007, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
please let us know what you find!
http://seattle.citysearch.com/review/10728476

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 4, 2008, 5:23 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Wow, I hadn't been back to this thread since i posted it, and had no idea they were ever shut down at any point.

This is still one of my favorite places to eat in Seattle. I've hosted 2 Sea Doo dinners there, as well as several smaller FT dinners. I had lunch there today and got all my co-workers hooked on the grilled banana cake

But I digress...

The owners are opening a new place downtown!! I'm SO there!

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.co...nches_out.html
Old Dec 4, 2008, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by missydarlin
The owners are opening a new place downtown!! I'm SO there!

+1 ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.