Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Restaurants in/near Seattle/SEA - suggestions & questions" thread

Consolidated "Restaurants in/near Seattle/SEA - suggestions & questions" thread

Old Jan 9, 2011, 5:54 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by CWAnderson
There's so many nice places in Bellevue in the Lincoln Square area - I like Joey's Restaurant or Earls Restaurant. You can't go wrong with either of these in my opionion. Also, there is one of my favorite Comedy Clubs in the nation there which is called The Parlor Live...they have some outstanding comedians just about every week. I think Kevin Nealon is there this weekend for example.
If you are expecting to have any kind of conversation, I wouldn't recommend any of these places listed above (the noise level is really high). Daniel's has uneven food/service imo.

I agree with others who say John Howie and Seastar. Two of my favorites.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:32 pm

Seattle Restaurant.com Reccomendations

I found these Seattle restaurants on restaurant.com

Could let me know if you recommend any of these?I don't want to bother with discounted restaurants if kids won't eat the food! We typically love pizza, chinese food and burgers.

China Harbour - near Space Needle

Japanese Gourmet - 82 Stewart (Pike Place)

Game Works - 7th Avenue

Built Burger - 217 James Street

Osain - 5th Avenue

The Peking - located in Bellevue

TIA, Rampage
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:16 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Rampage1967
I found these Seattle restaurants on restaurant.com

Could let me know if you recommend any of these?I don't want to bother with discounted restaurants if kids won't eat the food! We typically love pizza, chinese food and burgers.

China Harbour - near Space Needle

Japanese Gourmet - 82 Stewart (Pike Place)

Game Works - 7th Avenue

Built Burger - 217 James Street

Osain - 5th Avenue

The Peking - located in Bellevue

TIA, Rampage
China Harbor - It's enormous, relatively remote (on Lake Union quite a way from anything) and old. Also overpriced and mediocre. It's one of those places that you drive by and wonder HOW it manages to stay open. We went once - I think Reagan was President - and vowed never to return. (Answer, I think, is that it's huge and does a lot of weddings and parties.)

Japanese Gourmet - Haven't tried it; reviews are decidedly mixed. Unless your kids like sushi and donburi dishes, I'd look elsewhere around the Pike Market.

Gameworks - Remarkable, hellish throwback to the 90s - my head hurts just thinking of eating there.

Built Burger - Again, never been. It looks like you'd definitely need the coupon to keep from overpaying for a... burger?

O'Asian - Used to go there a lot (wife worked in the office building where it's located.) Pretty so-so, aside from very corporate decor. It's mainly a lunch place for office workers.

The Peking - No idea.

If you're looking for cheap Asian food around lunchtime (e.g. O'Asian, Japanese Gourmet, Peking?) I'd suggest you go instead to Uwajimaya in the International District - www.uwajimaya.com - and hit the food court. Everything from burgers to Thai, Japanese to Filipino to Hawaiian Plate Lunches (kids and many of us oldies think Aloha Plates is da bomb) - and everybody can choose their own. Cheap, lots of food (save room for the Vietnamese chocolate cream puffs) and when you're done, a walk through the Uwajimaya grocery/department store is a tourist destination in its own right. A GREAT place, by the way, for a nosh before a baseball game, provided you get there before the stalls start to close around 5.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 4:21 pm

Awesome! Uwajimayas it is before the Mariner's game!

Thank you!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:33 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Seattle Restaurant Week

I'm not sure if they are rebranding "Dine Around Seattle" but Seattle Restaurant Week runs Oct 16-20, and Oct 23-27.

150 Restaurants serving 3-course dinners for $28

Some are also serving lunch for $15
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Chinese restaurant in Seattle question

I'll be with my brother and dad in Bellevue for Christmas dinner. We want to go out for Chinese in the international district of Seattle but a yelp search yielded well over 20 restaurant. Can any of you Seattle locals recommend a restaurant? Looks like only Chinese restaurants in Seattle are open for Xmas dinner (and hotels).

Oh also as a Phoenix resident should I even bother trying seattle Mexican food?

Last edited by enviroian; Dec 18, 2011 at 8:13 pm
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:39 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
I used to frequent them when I lived there, but can't remember names.

Let me tell you what the Chinese guys I used to work with used as criteria for whether or not THEY would dine at a particular Chinese restaurant. I used to work for a Chinese company and when they dined in the U.S. This was their criteria;

1. Menu in Chinese, not just English
2. Chinese staff and Chinese waitress or waiter
3. Turntable on tables. The large "Lazy Susan" type deals so you can share dishes (not absolutely mandatory but very preferred)
4. No chains or names like "Panda" or "Wok" or anything you find in strip malls.
5. NO BUFFETS! NO ALL YOU CAN EAT!

Good luck! Have fun! Enjoy!
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA MP Club (no status)
IIRC Din Tai Fung just opened a branch in Seattle. They are fantastic.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:13 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Just IMO, the better Chinese restaurants don't tend to be in the I.D. any more, with maybe the exception of Seven Stars Pepper Szechuan Restaurant on S. Jackson in the I.D. Cumin lamb and their shaved noodles... omg.

Otherwise, you might stay on the east side...

- Szechuan Chef on Main St. in Bellevue - owned by the original chef from Seven Stars, and getting similar reviews (actually, of late, better.)

- or Noble Court, also in Bellevue - you could do a lot worse, and there's parking!

...or you could join all of us from our shul at the Cascade Garden in Issaquah that night (traditional Jewish Christmas dinner) - although in all honesty the only thing the Garden has going for it is vast size.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Dec 18, 2011 at 10:19 pm
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all the tips. I'll try that Szechuan Chef in Bellevue and see if they are open for Christmas.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I am not a huge fan of Chinese, but even then I tend to think that Seattle generally has better Japanese food, especially sushi. If you're open to sushi, maneki in the id is good and mashiko's in west Seattle is another great choice.

I've also tried the seven star restaurant previously mentioned. It is good and primarily serves the local Asian community. It is not a trendy flashy restaurant if you're aiming for upper crust dining.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeattleFlyerGuy
I am not a huge fan of Chinese, but even then I tend to think that Seattle generally has better Japanese food, especially sushi. If you're open to sushi, maneki in the id is good and mashiko's in west Seattle is another great choice.

I've also tried the seven star restaurant previously mentioned. It is good and primarily serves the local Asian community. It is not a trendy flashy restaurant if you're aiming for upper crust dining.
Thanks. I am a big fan of Sushi (plenty of good sushi here in Scottsdale) but our dad will be with us, mr old school polish meat and potatoes guy so that wouldn't fly.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: DL Plat
Here's the "foodie" joke:

Q: Where is the best Chinese food in Seattle?
A: Vancouver

You've got some surprisingly good options on the Eastside-- Facing East is also pretty good for Taiwanese food. The I-district is hit or miss these days, but you can get decent wonton and congee (Mike's), and excellent French/Japanese pastry (Fuji Bakery) and Uwajimaya is always a fun place to wander around.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:51 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I'll second the nominations for 7 Stars, Facing East, and Mashiko.

If you're looking for Dim Sum ... House of Hong, 4 Seas, and New Kowloon International are good.

If you're willing to break out of the box and go for Vietnamese Food instead ... Tamarind Tree all the way
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:32 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Originally Posted by chococat
Here's the "foodie" joke:

Q: Where is the best Chinese food in Seattle?
A: Vancouver
So true, but more specifically, Richmond BC. In our experience Vancouver's Chinatown is like the ID (or like SF's Chinatown) - more for visitors than foodies, with exceptions.

Remember the OP is talking about Christmas dinner, so Uwjimaya and most smaller places will likely be shut.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.