Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Layover in PHX - What to do, questions, suggestions" thread

Old Nov 15, 2002, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold

Doing a MR through PHX with 5 hours to spare (11am-4pm) in January. What can be done? Any good way of having lunch outside of the airport? Would not mind getting some sun!

Thanks
Old Jul 8, 2005, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
PHX for 12 hours

Due to an unfortunate combination of circumstances, there is a high probability that I will need to kill twelve hours at Sky Harbor airport next week.

I haven't traveled through PHX in a couple of years - any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Lewis
Old Jul 10, 2005, 9:55 am

Programs: WN CP
What is the timeframe for your twelve hours?
Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:36 am

Not sure what time of day you'll be here, but given the 12 hour window and the blistering daytime heat there aren't too many options. I'd probably cab it over to Scottsdale Fashion Square and see a movie, eat & browse the stores. Make arrangements with the cab driver to pick you back up. Alternatively, you could visit a museum - The Heard is excellent if you are interested in Native Americans. Don't melt.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
Thanks for your responses. The window of time is likely to be between 11am-11pm. (I really prefer my old jobs where I could book my own travel )

Thanks again,
Lewis
Old Sep 4, 2005, 8:20 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
4 hrs in PHX,what to do?

I am doing a NW MR to PHX and have about 4 hrs before I get back on the plane. What do you recommend I do while there? I did scan the rest of the thread here and so far I only see two dated suggestions: Oaxaca Mexican restaurant in Terminal 4 and no free internet access anywhere (other than Clubs)...how about paid internet access? Is there anything that is must see there?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.

George
Old Sep 5, 2005, 12:16 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
You'll arrive in T3, and will have to exit security to get to T4. Jump on one of the inter-terminal busses (they're green) to get to T4. Oaxaca is on the upper (departure) level. There are a few things to see on that level, but not much.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 7:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Where to store carry-on at PHX for 4 hours?

Here's the deal.

I'll be travelling with a work group of 7 in Phoenix for a week. The last day, we'll take the Supershuttle to PHX about 4 or 5 and check our luggage for our 10:30 redeye. However, we'd like to catch a cab and head downtown to a nice restaurant for dinner. But, we'll have our carry-ons with us.

Any suggestions on what to do with the carry-ons? The Crown Room closes at 5:30, so that's not an option. Plus, as I'm the only member of the group with a lounge membership, it would have looked suspicious if I wheeled 7 carry-ons in and then left.

I've been very impressed when posting questions like these in the past and letting the locals educate me.

Thanks.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 3:11 am

Suggestions on how to kill 2.5hrs in PHX?

Wondering if anyone can provide suggestions on how to kill 2.5hrs while waiting for a connection in PHX? We're arriving on America West from YVR around 11:30am and our connection to LAS doesn't depart until 2:15pm. I suspect we'll be holed up in terminal 4. Any suggestions on where to hang out possibly for some lunch or how to get access to a lounge?
Old Oct 18, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
First thing I'd do is see if there are any PHX-LAS flights that you can stand-by. PHX-LAS runs pretty regularly, so you may be lucky. I don't remember what the US stand-by policy is, but I think it may be the "$25 for confirmed stand-by or free for stand-by". Check is US.

Do you clear US Immigrations/Customs in YVR, or in PHX? If PHX, you've probably just shaved 1/2 hour off of you layover, down to 2-hours.

There's not a lot to do in the concourses, but T-4 has shops and an art gallery outside of security. That's also where most of the "good" restaurants can be found.

As for the lounge, I believe you can by pass into the US club for around $50, but that would not be worth it to me. 2-1/2 is just not a lot of time.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, Bob.

We clear US customs in YVR. I also expect our checked luggage would automatically forward to our connection (versus having to pick it up and rechecking) so I don't foresee us having a lot of miscellaneous tasks between flights other than maybe having to go through security again if we have to head out of the secure area.

Checking the availablity & policy for stand-by is a great idea. I'd pay a few dollars more to get into LAS a few hours earlier. If we can't find anything, it sounds like we'll be hanging out (in a restaurant) in Terminal 4. Yes, I'd probably rather use the $50 for Vegas than the lounge.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
OT: Stopover in PHX

Hi, I have a 8 hour wait for my flight from PHX to LHR. I've been to PHX many times and would rather book a room & relax before leaving for the airport. I've contacted several hotels and all I've been offered is a room for the night when what I'm after is a room for the day. Can anyone offer any suggestions.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:07 am

Since your flight does not leave unitil evening how about seeing a baseball day game or visit a great pub/restuarant in Tempe. If you choose Tempe I suggest going to Casey Moore's Oyster House which is a pub like house built in 1910 and sits in a residential neighborhood that has character. Something different in town filled with shoping centers and trac homes. Eithere choice the time is minutes and you can travel for less than $10 via cab or take the light rail.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
If its your thing, you may check into spa programs at Sanctuary or The Phoenician. That would give you access to the hotels facilities, like pools, showers, and lounge areas while also giving you a nice way to relax before your flight.

Otherwise, downtown Tempe or Old Town Scottsdale would be productive places to have lunch, go catch a drink, window shop, or sightsee. Depends on the weather, which should have climbing temps very soon.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Thanks for the advice - what I'm really looking for is a hotel, where we can relax, possibly by the pool and have somewhere to shower and change before leaving. A spa is a good option but is probably going to be expensive. Does anyone know if there are showers in the BA lounge?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.