Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My 10 days canyons routing from LAS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
From my experience last November, I agree with others that you are trying to pack way too much in. That was the mistake I very nearly made last year and was talked out of by some very helpful FTers.

Zion and Bryce are both absolutely stunning, and I kind of regretted only allowing one day for each (which means half a day, once driving times are deducted).

I also agree with ditching Death Valley. I found it an interesting diversion on the way from Yosemite to Vegas, but not worth a 5 hour round trip from Vegas.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, HH DIA, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by djp98374
I disagree with others----

the planning is actually decent....

The only 2 issue...

1. 28th doing Antelope canyon in the AM then its 5 hr drive thru Monument Valley to Moab. At this time there is only about 11 hrs of sun.

You don't want to drive at dark.

2. Zion requires more time. night in springdale then spend entire day in Zion leaving around 5pm for Vegas. Instead of death valley, that day do Valley of Fire for the day and then night in Kingman.

An alternate route you could do....

skip Moab then do death valley to Joshua tree to Grand canyon to Page to MV to torrey via UT 95 to Bryce to zion then to Vegas. try to do an overnight in death valley and for Joshua traa a night in 29 Palms.
Thank you!

@1. We could do Antelope Canyon on 27th in the evening. The 27th looks quite relaxed compared to the 28th. Are there any arguments against doing it in the afternoon (light for photos...)?

@2. This is easily doable. But what to do on the 2nd if we do Zion on the 3rd?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djp98374
You don't want to drive at dark.
Second this. Much of your trip is in deer country. A deer in the road can ruin your car. An elk in the road can ruin you.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lost
Agree with not driving at dark: Lots of large wild animals (read: elk), plus lots of loose cattle on the Navajo Nation.
More likely to encounter horses than cattle or elk on the Rez roads at night IME (although all three are possible).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.