Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Denver first visit swimming pool trip

Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM

Can't believe I've never really been to Denver outside of the airport. Want to go for a summer weekend. I am well traveled, older single male, likes art, urban areas, city walks...and a killer swimming pool is always great. Anybody who knows the city make a few stabs at a neighborhood or hotel for me to consider?
Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I'd say go for a drive to Colorado Springs and stay at the Broadmoor. Probably the only thing close to a true resort pool experience in the Denver area.

The Omni Interlocken in Broomfield might do the trick. Again, not Denver proper.

Lounging around at a pool just isn't a Colorado thing when you've got mountains to hike and bike.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Thank you! I'll adjust then... For the pool should have said for serious lap swim (like 2 km) not cocktails and chaise lounge. I'll look for a public pool or university....
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Ah, lap pools. Well, the previous suggestions claim lap pools. And maybe Cherry Creek Athletic Club. 25-meter lap pool. They claim a 3-day trial pass, which would work for a visit.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
If you want serious swimming, check out the, "places to swim," on the USMS website here:
http://www.usms.org/placswim/mapsear...te=CO&units=mi

I think I swam at the Cherry Creek pool ages ago...haven't properly been to Denver (other than through DEN) for almost 20 years.

Most clubs will let you try a workout (some a week). I normally contact them ahead of time, verify time/location, before going.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Denver - Residence Inn or Grand Hyatt?

Thanks. I am looking at those pools, and also see a public outdoor pool called La Alma that seems great.

I think I am staying either Grand Hyatt or Residence Inn Marriott. Seem similar locale wise, same price. Anybody know them/have a preference?

Last edited by 1k-all-the-way; Jul 10, 2017 at 9:23 am Reason: Changed heading to clarify hotel question
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I hate spending anymore time in Denver than I have to, as Denver has never figured out how to deal with traffic, much like all of Colorado. I love downtown Denver, but hotel pricing is high, and IMO the pools suck. Go 1hr south and stay at one of the Flying Horse Lodges which includes access to the club with a very good pool that has dedicated lanes for swimming laps. Actually has multiple pools, four in total. Near the Air Force Academy, so a pretty easy drive between Denver and back.

Broadmoor is even better, but about 20 minutes further south. Flying Horse is by far the best property on the far north end of COS that you will find, as COS sort of lacks in the high end hotels outside of the Broadmoor. We are growing at a fast rate, but we still haven't figured out who we want to be when we grow up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.