Search

Getting to Utah National Parks by air

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
Getting to Utah National Parks by air

...or as close as possible.

Utah seems to have quite a few amazing places to visit. Parts of Grand Canyon, Zion NP, Arches NP, Bryce, Monument Valley... however not so many quick ways to get there.

Would love to take Mrs for a weekend stay in The View Hotel but getting there is a huge pain! Would really appreciate some thoughts on cutting down the travel time. I am mostly looking to make weekend or 3-day weekend trips.
I understand these places are huge and deserve lot more time but unfortunately, I am pretty tied on vacation for this year.

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:03 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
For Monument Valley and Capitol Reef, look at trying to fly into Page AZ (PGA). Boutique Air also offers flights to Moab from DEN and SLC.

For Zion, look at trying to fly into St. George, Utah (SGU)
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
Thanks for the info on Page.

I was looking at Cortez, CO based on Boutique Air connectivity from DEN. Still a solid 2hr-2.5hr drive to the destination.

I guess all of them are meant for longer stays and not quick getaways.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Admittedly an old observation: I found it faster, cheaper and with a far better schedule to fly into Las Vegas and drive than to fly into St. George.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Admittedly an old observation: I found it faster, cheaper and with a far better schedule to fly into Las Vegas and drive than to fly into St. George.
I've found the same thing on my trips to Utah's red rocks country: a flight to LAS (or SLC) plus additional driving time beats flying to a smaller airport. It's faster and cheaper. Primarily that's because flying to one of those smaller airports has always required a connection for me, whereas I have plenty of nonstop options to LAS and SLC coming from SFO/SJC/OAK. If OP can find a nonstop to SGU or PGA, or if LAS/SLC requires a connection anyway, or if OP finds driving particularly onerous, the calculation would be different.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:24 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Fair points ^

One itinerary, though, I might suggest (although it may depend on whether you can get cheap enough flight into Moab/PGA) is to fly into Moab on Boutique, rent a car one-way (this may be pricey, but sometimes not) and head south doing Arches N.P., Capitol Reef N.P. and Monument Valley. (works the other direction, of course, too)
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I was looking at Cortez, CO based on Boutique Air connectivity from DEN. Still a solid 2hr-2.5hr drive to the destination.
Unless you fly into Moab, you might as well fly to GJT, that has commercial service (but is slightly under 2 hours away from Moab).
Old Mar 26, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I've found the same thing on my trips to Utah's red rocks country: a flight to LAS (or SLC) plus additional driving time beats flying to a smaller airport. It's faster and cheaper. Primarily that's because flying to one of those smaller airports has always required a connection for me, whereas I have plenty of nonstop options to LAS and SLC coming from SFO/SJC/OAK. If OP can find a nonstop to SGU or PGA, or if LAS/SLC requires a connection anyway, or if OP finds driving particularly onerous, the calculation would be different.
Yup, it was the connection that was the killer time-wise. It took longer than the drive and there weren't enough flights/day to get me there when I needed to be.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:30 pm

For Bryce Canyon NP, the nearest airport is Cedar City (CDC). Cedar City is also the closest airport to Great Basin National Park in Nevada. For Capital Reef National Park, the closest airport is Provo (PVU). But since only Allegiant presently flys to Provo, Cedar City and SLC are about tied for second closest.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by amanuensis
For Capital Reef National Park, the closest airport is Provo (PVU). But since only Allegiant presently flys to Provo, Cedar City and SLC are about tied for second closest.
Moab (CNY) is ~75-80 miles closer to Capitol Reef Park than PVU.

Boutique flies to Moab from both SLC and DEN: http://www.moabairport.com/274/Flight-Schedule
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Moab (CNY) is ~75-80 miles closer to Capitol Reef Park than PVU.

Boutique flies to Moab from both SLC and DEN: http://www.moabairport.com/274/Flight-Schedule
I keep forgetting about CNY since it is served by a no-name airline that doesn't even have a gate at the main terminal. Its flights depart from the executive terminal, so connecting to and from the flights require a ride in a van.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
A number of years ago, I flew into SGU, requiring a connection with a terminal change, at LAX. I flew back out of LAS. I also agree that the additional drive is probably usually a good trade-off for avoiding a connection. And I seem to recall that there was a significant delay in LAX, so we arrived in SGU much later than planned.

On this trip, I stayed in Springfield, UT. From there, I was able to tour Zion NP easily. I was also able to do a (very long) day trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. It was way past sunset when I came back through Zion on the return, but it was a clear night and the star field was astounding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.