Reload this Page >

Road Trip Advice- SD/MT/ID/MT/WA

Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott

hey all,

My friend and I will be taking a road trip next in 2 days and wanted some opinions and inside tricks. We understand that some roads will be closed, so I hope the people on flyer talk will have some advise on how to get around the closures and maximize our experience.

We are flying ORD-MSP, starting our journey there in a 4x4 (35$ UA tix beats the 6-7 hour schlep through corn fields and flying back to ORD from SEA.

Tentative trip: From MSP- South Dakota (Rushmore and Badlands Ntl) - Grand Teton Ntl (drive through it, taking 191 through Teton to through Yellowstone) - Yellowstone Ntl - Idaho - Glacier Ntl - then into Washington and trying to see all 3 national parks, at least drive through.

We are planning driving at least 12 hours/day, minor hiking on the way. We have 7 days. I would truly appreciate an itenarary or how to go around road closures to see the most of Teton/Glacier/Yellowstone, Olympic/North Cascade/Renier.

I think the most important for us is Glacier/Teton/Yellowstone. The parks in Washington are a bonus. We love the outdoors, scenery, and some adventure. I know the road to the Old Faithful is closed, so any advice would be appreciated! I saw that winter tours are available Dec 15th, but we will be there Dec 1st/2nd. How do we get there?

Thanks!

Last edited by TravelDoorsOut; Nov 27, 2016 at 7:05 pm
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:53 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
You have no alternative except to monitor the National Park Service road conditions and restrictions reports, e.g. https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/conditions.htm . I'd also check with the rental car company to find out if they allow snow chains, and if they do, get some. If they don't, then be aware that any damage incurred using them will be on your nickel; any insurance (and other contract terms?) will be voided.

Twelve hours a day is fine, however three or four of them are going to be in the dark; not my preference if it's dark and snowing/raining.

Route comments: I would drop Glacier as it's a giant detour and the GTTS road is already closed. So is the North Cascades Highway, the only access to NCNP. Only the low elevation roads are open in Mount Rainier NP; the road to Paradise requires chains.

Olympic NP needs at least two full days to experience; the Hurricane Ridge road is currently open but day to day, and they check for snow chains before letting you on it.

One thing to bear in mind is that it's not just snow and ice that can spoil things; it's also cloudy and wet weather. For example, with Mt. Rainier, except on sunny days (rare at this time of year) you simply can't see the mountain, period. Not even from the Paradise visitor center, if you could even get there. I just checked Grand Teton, and same thing there - 21F, snowing, and the mountains are totally obscured by clouds. Long way to drive to see bupkis.

Given all these limitations let me ask a dumb question. Why don't you plan a different trip? For example, fly to Portland, get a car, visit the waterfalls and vista points on the historic Columbia Gorge Highway, visit Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood, so you've got your volcano. Then follow the Columbia down to its (awesome) mouth at Cape Disappointment, fabulous if it's stormy, then up the Pacific coast to Lake Quinault, Ruby Beach, and the Hoh rain forest, all at sea level thus exempt from snow. The Hoh rain forest is magical in the winter - google "Hall of Mosses trail." Visit more incredible rocky beaches at La Push, then head around the top of the Olympic Peninsula to Port Townsend, ferry to Whidbey Island, then down to the Mukilteo ferry. Visit the Boeing factory in Everett, then Seattle, then end back at PDX. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/CrPk5EMX8dT2

All just a thought experiment, of course; but I think your present plans are largely unrealistic.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 6:12 pm

In South Dakota, make time to do the underground tour at Wind Cave National Park.Winter is an excellent time to do most caves since the crowds are gone and caves are the same temperature year round.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
WA 20 which takes you through North Cascades National Park is closed for the winter. No way around that one.

The road to Paradise on Mt. Rainier is kept open during the winter, weather permitting. Bring skis or snowshoes if you want to do any treking.

Hurricane Ridge Road is usually open during the winter, weather permitting of course. Again skis or snowshoes if you want to get out of your car. You can also drive out to the Pacific Coast but it's a long way.

Weather is highly variable and dangerous if you are not properly equipped. Make sure you have chains, gas and extra clothes/food.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
thanks guys!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.