Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Donner Pass Advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Here's a weather tracking station in Soda Springs, just down from Donner Pass, that has a 10 day forecast including snow accumulation. I wouldn't rely on it more than 2-3 days out, but it should give you a good idea what the mountain weather is like as your travel date approaches.
https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin...=pws:KCASODAS7
Old Nov 27, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
As said, US 50 and CA 88 headng west/south are narrow, mostly single lane that are pretty windy. US 50 has the advantage of being a main road but can be slow.

Spooner summit (US 50 to Carson) is not a bad alternative (double lane, relatively not as steep) as it is lower elevation than Mt Rose Highway (NV 431) which is single lane and windy. I know/knew both pretty well. I've been able to get to Tahoe via US 50 when NV 431 was impassable (at least for my vehicle).

CA 267 has Brockway summit which is pretty steep on both sides (more so coming up from/going to Truckee). The route between Tahoe City and Truckee is relatively flat as it follows the Truckee river (drainage for Tahoe).

Tahoe is still at ~6,200' ASL so altitude isn't your friend.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Just had a idea this morning. Isn't there some sort of Amtrak service from Reno across the Sierra's? I assume the train runs during inclement weather? Might be a viable idea to driving.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Just had a idea this morning. Isn't there some sort of Amtrak service from Reno across the Sierra's? I assume the train runs during inclement weather? Might be a viable idea to driving.
https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/836/828...ule-011116.pdf

The California Zephyr. Once a day in each direction from Reno. Does not stop at Tahoe itself but does stop in Truckee. Often runs behind schedule.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:17 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
It's indeed a beautiful train ride, but don't make any previous or onward plans based on the train being on time.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
It's indeed a beautiful train ride, but don't make any previous or onward plans based on the train being on time.
Precisely! We rode it a few years ago and were delayed by snow, sitting in the midst of a snowfall for several hours in that very area.

I went back and looked it up. That occurred in April 2012 and this is what I wrote in our travel blog:

As we climbed out of Sacramento on our way up toward Donner Summit and Reno on the other side, the rain turned to fresh snow and we sat for four hours as a work-train with a plow cleared the track. Great scenery but four hours is a long enough time to wait. Last year, there was a 24-hour delay and there's a long history of challenges and problems for rail and other travelers in this area.

Last edited by Fredd; Nov 28, 2016 at 4:12 pm
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amanuensis
https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/836/828...ule-011116.pdf

The California Zephyr. Once a day in each direction from Reno. Does not stop at Tahoe itself but does stop in Truckee. Often runs behind schedule.
Thanks. Only looking to get across the Sierra's not stop at Tahoe, so this will be a nice back-up in case chain controls are in place for driving.

Originally Posted by cblaisd
My plans are fluid to account for any weather. I'm just thinking of a viable alternative to driving.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
AMTRAK runs buses in addition to the daily train service. Even Megabus has service from Reno, though you'd have to look at their destinations and see if they match where you want to go.

Chain controls were up again this morning but are not in effect this afternoon. Weather for the next week looks mostly clear, but I see you're not traveling in the next week.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
AMTRAK runs buses in addition to the daily train service. Even Megabus has service from Reno, though you'd have to look at their destinations and see if they match where you want to go.

Chain controls were up again this morning but are not in effect this afternoon. Weather for the next week looks mostly clear, but I see you're not traveling in the next week.
I'm arriving on the 9th. So about week and a half.

I've heard about Greyhound, Megabus etc; but not sure how restless I would get sitting next to someone for hours on end in a bus. The train has Roomliners, so if I end up using it, I'll get one of those for the comfort and space.

So my plans are since I do want to enjoy the scenery,

Rental Car - Decent Weather
Amtrak Train - Snowy Weather
Plane Ticket - Refundable, as a last resort to get out of the Reno area.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:46 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Two thoughts, Yellowjj:

1) Carefully monitoring the weather forecasts now, 10 days before your trip, is not productive. The weather patterns that align to form a) precipitation and b) cold enough weather for it fall as snow develop in the space of a day or two. I suggest you give it a rest for now and start paying careful attention on Dec 6 or 7.

2) Understand that chain restrictions and closures on the major roads (such as I-80) are temporary. Generally speaking they happen when a strong storm drops snow faster than crews can clear it. Once crews catch up the restrictions are removed. And the crews are good. They will clear it fast. Thus a reasonable "Plan B" in the case of road closures is to wait it out a half day or a full day. Definitely consider that alternative if you have the schedule flexibility to accommodate it.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by darthbimmer

2) Understand that chain restrictions and closures on the major roads (such as I-80) are temporary. Generally speaking they happen when a strong storm drops snow faster than crews can clear it. Once crews catch up the restrictions are removed. And the crews are good. They will clear it fast. Thus a reasonable "Plan B" in the case of road closures is to wait it out a half day or a full day. Definitely consider that alternative if you have the schedule flexibility to accommodate it.
Exactly. Unless there's some severe storm, this is the case. There are worse places to be stuck than Sacramento or Reno for a day.

And to keep the post as "two thoughts,"

1) I hope your plane ticket is RNO/OAK. If the weather is bad, and you have an SFO flight on UA's finest luxury jet (which is all you get RNO/SFO), your flight will be one of the most likely to cancel. This morning, with just overcast and a light sprinkle in places, two of the AM RNO/SFO flights have already suffered delays.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:33 pm

FYI, vehicles traveling in the mountains in CA must carry chains between November and April, even if the weather is clear. I've never known anyone that was cited for not carrying chains when chains weren't required, but it is the law. You could get a fine or the CHP could decide your car needed to be towed out of the area. Both very unlikely, but you should know.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by wanna go now
FYI, vehicles traveling in the mountains in CA must carry chains between November and April, even if the weather is clear. I've never known anyone that was cited for not carrying chains when chains weren't required, but it is the law. You could get a fine or the CHP could decide your car needed to be towed out of the area. Both very unlikely, but you should know.
This is not true -- you are only required to carry chains in an active chain control area, which occurs when the signs are deployed for R1, R2, or R3 during a snowstorm. You *are* supposed to carry chains in an R1 even if you don't have to put them on because you have M+S tires, or in an R2 even if you have a 4WD.

But if there's no chain control in place, regardless of time of year, you are not required to carry chains to cross I-80 etc.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Exactly. Unless there's some severe storm, this is the case. There are worse places to be stuck than Sacramento or Reno for a day.

And to keep the post as "two thoughts,"

1) I hope your plane ticket is RNO/OAK. If the weather is bad, and you have an SFO flight on UA's finest luxury jet (which is all you get RNO/SFO), your flight will be one of the most likely to cancel. This morning, with just overcast and a light sprinkle in places, two of the AM RNO/SFO flights have already suffered delays.
I have no problem with extra time in either Reno or Sacramento; my schedule is fully flexible for a week.

It's RNO/LAX on Eagle's E-Jet. I avoid the CRJ2 like the plague so SFO was out as a option thanks to UA overuse of them. Probably a good idea considering the fog the bay area gets.

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Two thoughts, Yellowjj:

1) Carefully monitoring the weather forecasts now, 10 days before your trip, is not productive. The weather patterns that align to form a) precipitation and b) cold enough weather for it fall as snow develop in the space of a day or two. I suggest you give it a rest for now and start paying careful attention on Dec 6 or 7.

Noted. I will be overnighting in SLC on the 8th before flying into Reno the next morning, so will have a chance then to shift hotels around as needed, if I need to stay extra days in the Reno area. Hell I might even just drive down to Vegas and spend the night avoiding the Sierra's altogether, if need be.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...r-10786167.php

How is your trip going?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.