Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Monument Valley or Bryce Canyon as a day trip from Las Vegas possible ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:43 am
Original Poster

I have been to the Grand Canyon a few times and I'd like to see something different / new as a day trip from Las Vegas
Does Monument Valley OR Bryce Canyon an option for a day trip ?

Any other ideas for up to 10 hours day tour in mid September will be much appreciated

Thank you so much
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:57 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
For Monument Valley, it depends o what your notion of "possible" includes and how much time you want to spend stopping and seeing things.

It's a six-and-a-half hour trip. one way.

So it would be a very exhausting day of driving, imo, to do it in a one-day out-and-back.

And you wouldn't have much time to stop at some of the fascinating sites like the John Wesley Powell Museum, or Navajo Bridge. If I were doing it, I'd plan a stop in Kayenta (a very nice Hampton Inn there - the only one I know of with its own restaurant). Plus, the Amigo Cafe is always worth a stop for lunch or dinner) in one direction or the other.

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 22, 2016 at 9:40 am
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:17 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Bryce can be done in a long day trip. The best time to see Bryce is around sunset and sunrise when the colors come out. I would suggest this be an overnight.

It can be done as a day trip. You leave at 7am you get to Bryce by noon driving I-15 to UT 20 then US 89 to UT 12 (4 hrs + 1 hr time change), You are there for 4 or 5 hrs then leave around 5pm before sunset and try to get to I-15 in daylight going back the way you came and you will be in Vegas around 8pm without stopping but you could stop to eat dinner in Cedar City or St George for an hr.

Monument Valley is farther and not a good day trip. Similar to Bryce its best in late day sun and early morning sun to bring colors out. The drive there isn't 4 hrs but more like 6 hrs wheels turning + 1 hr time change. Given 6 hrs you figure you need to stop to eat and get gas.

If you leave at 7am you get there around 2:30pm local time, then if you leave at 6:30pm gets you back to Vegas at midnight.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. Seems extremely nice and look forward to visit some of these sites

I forgot to mention that I'll prefer not to drive (nor be driven), sorry for that

Is there any plane / helicopter tour ?
The usual suspects (maverick, papillon, Sundance, scenic) don't seem to offer tour there from Vegas).

thank you so much
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:45 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

http://www.maverickhelicopter.com/ch...ah_monval.aspx

http://www.bundubashers.com/tour.php...t-valley-tours

http://www.brycecanyontours.com/monu...lley_tours.htm
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much
A private helicopter is out of my budget

The other two links are the same company
I called them and unfortunately they have no tours scheduled / available for my 3 days.

Wonder why it's so difficult to find a tour company to Bryce Canyon or Monument Valley.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:18 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by CGRA
Wonder why it's so difficult to find a tour company to Bryce Canyon or Monument Valley.
It's because most people don't do day trips to Bryce Canyon or Monument Valley from Las Vegas. Monument Valley is simply too far, and most visitors will stay there or in nearby towns (like Kayenta as cblaisd mentioned) so guided tours typically start at Monument Valley. Even Bryce Canyon is ~4hrs away, which makes a sunrise arrival a ridiculous proposition and with any reasonable departure time from Las Vegas, makes for a tough schedule if even the most basic hiking like Queens/Navajo is desired in addition to visiting the typical panoramic points. Bryce Canyon can definitely be done in a day, but that assumes an overnight at some point - not driving for 8 hours.

I'd probably avoid bundu bashers - they have a plethora of bad reviews on the Internet, F rating with the BBB, etc.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gengar
It's because most people don't do day trips to Bryce Canyon or Monument Valley from Las Vegas. Monument Valley is simply too far, and most visitors will stay there or in nearby towns (like Kayenta as cblaisd mentioned) so guided tours typically start at Monument Valley. Even Bryce Canyon is ~4hrs away, which makes a sunrise arrival a ridiculous proposition and with any reasonable departure time from Las Vegas, makes for a tough schedule if even the most basic hiking like Queens/Navajo is desired in addition to visiting the typical panoramic points. Bryce Canyon can definitely be done in a day, but that assumes an overnight at some point - not driving for 8 hours.

I'd probably avoid bundu bashers - they have a plethora of bad reviews on the Internet, F rating with the BBB, etc.

Thank you for these info, much appreciated
Seems that it'll be like a day trip to NY from Boston.
So Bryce Canyon and Monument Valley will be for another time (

Does the "skywalk bridge" fun to do ?

Papillon charged USD 50 for front seat (if requested)
Is there a lot of chance not have the front seat when requested as a single rider ?

Seems that Papillon is the only company to offer "front seat"
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:37 am

September is too early, but Death Valley is a nice day trip from Vegas during the cooler months.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amanuensis
September is too early, but Death Valley is a nice day trip from Vegas during the cooler months.
Thank you. Because it's too hot ?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Closest NPs to Sin City are ... Death Valley (2.5 hrs), Zion (3.25 hrs), Joshua Tree (5 hrs). All good options esp Zion. Also Antelope Canyon is amazing and closer than Monument Valley even though it is not a NP.

Last edited by PilgrimsProgress; Aug 24, 2016 at 4:25 pm
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:28 pm

Thank you. Because it's too hot ?
Yes.

Average September high is 107F (41C).

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...th-average.php
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:14 pm

Does the "skywalk bridge" fun to do ?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...ghlight=canyon

Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
Closest NPs to Sin City are ... Death Valley.... Also Antelope Canyon is amazing....
The drive from Las Vegas to Death Valley through Titus Canyon remains one of my top road trips ever!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:00 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
Closest NPs to Sin City are ... Death Valley (2.5 hrs), Zion (3.25 hrs), Joshua Tree (5 hrs). All good options esp Zion. Also Antelope Canyon is amazing and closer than Monument Valley even though it is not a NP.
The above are all beautiful parks, but consider two even closer to Las Vegas: Red Rocks National Conservation Area and Valley of Fire State Park. Each is about a 45 minute drive from the strip so they are easy day trips.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies and info. Much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.