Search

A Few Days In Denver

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
A Few Days In Denver

Hello all,

I will be spending 4 nights in downtown Denver. I have never been before and just want to check it out. It will be in early April. First night, Rockies game. The rest is up for grabs.

Is there a need for a car in Denver? I know the airport is far away but other than that would there be a need for a car? I'm leaning towards no car and maybe renting one for a day trip to Boulder.

On that note, what is the best way in to downtown from the airport? Uber? Cost?

Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
If you get a hotel near Union Station (walk to Coors Field), then this could be done without a car.

RTD SkyRide "AF" bus from DEN to Union Station (transition from AF bus to A train occurs on April 23)

RTD Flatiron Flyer "FF" bus from Union Station to Boulder
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
If it was a bit later in April - what are your dates?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/1719008-light-rail-service-den-starts-april-2016-a-3.html#post26352049
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

arrive on the 9th so will be too early for the new line
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I lived in Denver for many years. Get a car. Walking around downtown would be good for about a day. Then you need one to get around and see things.

Boulder is a nice trip. You could also drive up to a place in the mountains like Breckinridge for a day, too.

If you like museums, the natural history museum is good, and the art museum is fairly nice.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Choice, Avis, Hertz
UberX to downtown should be around $30. There are plenty of rental car options once you get downtown so you can only rent for the days you need and save on parking. Then return your car at the airport.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
In lieu of Boulder, maybe a day trip up to Winter Park (Fraser) on AMTRAK's California Zephyr. It's one of the most beautiful train rides in the country. It is timed great for a day trip.

(Not recommend for a day of skiing, though).

If you are indeed renting a car, maybe a trip up I-70, over Berthoud Pass thru Winter Park over to Grand Lake. That's the doorstep to Rocky Mountain National Park, roads in the park may still be closed as they are seasonal.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
In lieu of Boulder, maybe a day trip up to Winter Park (Fraser) on AMTRAK's California Zephyr. It's one of the most beautiful train rides in the country. It is timed great for a day trip.
this sounds like a nice idea. will look in to it.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
. . . That's the doorstep to Rocky Mountain National Park, roads in the park may still be closed as they are seasonal.
And some roads in the park are likely to be open from both the east (Estes Park) and west (Grand Lake) sides. The main road across the park (Trail Ridge Road, Highway 36) is not passable in winter, as it is closed at higher elevations, but you should be able to travel several miles on it from either side. My experience is that they close it at a parking area, so easy to turn around. But I have been able to park and walk the road (on dry pavement) for a ways past where it was actually closed. Appears that point of closure on the east side is at an elevation of 9600 ft and on the west side is at 9000 ft.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
I'm here in the Front Range for a long-term job assignment.

I'm actually in the Greenwood Village area aka Tech Center. I have a friend coming to visit from Texas.

We were planning on visiting the Denver Mint. Their online reservation system says sold out for tours thru the next two weeks.

I like to tour MLB stadiums (not necessarily attend a game, but do the behind the scenes tour). We may hit Coors Field.

Also, one of the museums has a Chocolate Exhibit right now https://www.dmns.org/chocolate-the-exhibition/

We plan on hitting VooDoo Doughnuts as well.

Does anyone know the name of that famous restaurant/saloon downtown that claims to have been in continuous operation since like 1870?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:02 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Does anyone know the name of that famous restaurant/saloon downtown that claims to have been in continuous operation since like 1870?
Are you thinking of this? http://www.buckhorn.com/
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:13 pm

If you're traveling alone take the SkyRide bus. If you're with someone might at well take an Uber. You really don't need to rent a car to visit Boulder, there is regular and rapid bus service (but don't call it BRT) that will drop you off right next to Pearl street. There really isn't much to do in Boulder that isn't walkable from the transit center unless you want to do some hiking beyond Sanitas or visit some brewery that isn't on the main drag. You could also rent a bike if the weather is decent. Boulder regularly shows up on best bike towns in the US.

If you're into baseball there is a Ballpark museum near Coors field. It's tiny, but worth the admission fee if you're a baseball nut. Golden's a cool visit. Haven't been on the Coors tour since they switched the format so I can't comment on that. The School of Mines geology museum is great if you like shiny things. If you drive there you can visit the Wild Bill grave and museum up the mountain if you're into that sort of kitsch.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I lived in Denver for many years. Get a car. Walking around downtown would be good for about a day. Then you need one to get around and see things.

Boulder is a nice trip. You could also drive up to a place in the mountains like Breckinridge for a day, too.

If you like museums, the natural history museum is good, and the art museum is fairly nice.
Wouldn't be FT if we didn't mention Wings Over the Rockies as well: http://wingsmuseum.org/
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

i'm back and had a nice time.

1) what is the deal with 16th st mall? seems like a colossal waste of space with nothing but chain restaurants
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by theshaun
i'm back and had a nice time.

1) what is the deal with 16th st mall? seems like a colossal waste of space with nothing but chain restaurants
IMO it's primarily for convention-goers, who gravitate toward chain restaurants because they're not familiar with the neighborhood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.