Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Southern Utah Winter Road Trip - Route & Destination Suggestions from/to Las Vegas

Southern Utah Winter Road Trip - Route & Destination Suggestions from/to Las Vegas

Old Dec 24, 2015, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold

Hi guys, I'm looking at doing a road trip during winter starting from Las Vegas over 2 or 3 nights.
I was thinking of going from LV towards Zion for the day. Stay overnight somewhere in that area, and then do Bryce Canyon the following day and then either going back to LV or somewhere else on the 3rd day if there is more to see. Would probably get a small SUV, but would consider a normal sedan/coupe if I won't run into any travels on the way in regards to the roads possibly being unpassable with a normal car.
Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by oh_lol
Hi guys, I'm looking at doing a road trip during winter starting from Las Vegas over 2 or 3 nights.
I was thinking of going from LV towards Zion for the day. Stay overnight somewhere in that area, and then do Bryce Canyon the following day and then either going back to LV or somewhere else on the 3rd day if there is more to see. Would probably get a small SUV, but would consider a normal sedan/coupe if I won't run into any travels on the way in regards to the roads possibly being unpassable with a normal car.
Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Assuming you're sticking to State Highways and U.S. Highways in the area, an SUV certainly isn't required. My wife and I just did our honeymoon in the area (in October) and based ourselves out of Kanab, UT and then did the national parks (Zion, Bryce, and Grand Canyon) as day trips. Worked well for us.

Chris
Old Jan 16, 2016, 5:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Here is the middle of a road trip we did:

Sept 22, Tuesday

Visit Red Rock Canyon Scenic
Stay at Rio

Sept 23, Wednesday
Visit Bonnie Springs?
Stay at Rio

Sept 24, Thursday
Drive to Valley of Fire (55 miles)
View Valley of Fire
Visit Lost City Museum (see map)-$5 pp, reconstruction, pueblo indians
Visit Virgin Valley Heritage Museum 35 W. Mesquite Blvd 89027, 702-346-5705
Stay at HIE 1030 West Pioneer Blvd 89027

Sept 25, Friday
Drive to Cedar City (92 miles)-
Visit Frontier Homestead St. Park Museum (closed Sundays)-free pking, $3/pp
Visit? Cedar Breaks N.M. Hdqtrs 2390 UT56 #11, 435-586-9451
Stay Abbey Inn

Sept 26, Saturday
Drive to Cedar Breaks (24 miles)-
Drive thru Dixie National Forest, do VC, if can find one
Drive to Pangitch,
Stay Pangitch- Churchs Blue Pine Motel, 130 N Main ST.

Sept 27, Sunday
Drive to Bryce Canyon National Park (30 miles), refer hand written pg
VC 20 min. film, every 1 hrs.
Auto tour, drive 18 mi to Rainbow Pt, return stopping at 13 points of interest
Drive to Tropic
Drive to Cannonville and do VC
Drive to Escalante and do VC (54 mi from BC)
Stay Circle D Motel

Sept 28, Monday
Drive to Escalante State PK ($3, HWY 12)-
Drive to Capitol Reef NP (75 miles, from BC)
Do 25 mi scenic & return
Stay Torrey Austins Chuck wagon Lodge

Sept 29, Tues.
Drive to Salt Lake City Ut (220 Miles from Torrey)-refer hand map (s)
Stay Residence Inn SLC DT, 285 W. Broadway

Sept 30, Wed.
Visit Hogle Zoo, 2600 E. Sunnyside Ave, 801-589-1700, Map 4,
Visit This IS the Place Heritage Park across the street from the zoo.
Stay Residence Inn

Oct 1, Thursday
Visit National History Museum (on Univ.),
Visit Ft. Douglas Military Museum (on Univ
Stay Hyatt Place DT-55 N 400 W (West of 15

Oct 2, Fri
Visit Pioneer Memorial Museum, 300 N. Main-see map 5
Tracey Aviary $6, 589 E 1300 S, SWC of Liberty Pk, map 3, 50%FOZ
Stay Hyatt Place another night

Oct 3, Sat
Drive to Elko, NV (230 miles)
Stay HIE
Oct 4, Sun
Drive to Reno (290 mi)
Stay RenoStaybridge Suites Reno, 10559 Professional Circle, Reno 89511

We actually started in Escondido, did the above then went to Yosemite and down thru Fresno, and Bakersfield in another couple weeks home.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Hi guys, thanks so much for the reply.
I'm glad to know that a SUV isn't required, and I've booked an Audi A4 Quattro so that should ease my mind driving in winter a bit, since I've never had to drive in snow/winter in Australia!

That itinerary is also very helpful, and looks like my rough plan is to go from LV Strip direct to Bryce Canyon and stay overnight there. Then the next day look at Zion and then Valley of Fire before heading home.
I noticed you have 13 points of interest listed under Bryce Canyon, would you be kind enough to share those in case I've missed any?

Thanks once again!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Sorry Mate, I did not write them down, but they are marked along the road. Also Bing or Google Bryce Canyon and go to the National Parks site. Also go to Tripadvisor Bryce Canyon and click on "Things to do". The National Parks site will give you the general times the roads may be an issue. Also phone numbers to check ahead to be sure.

If above is a problem, post again and I will try to give you some links. I am without my contact lenses until a week from now, so it is a bit slow, but not a problem.

Driving times are a bit slow, as some is windy and naturally you want to see, get out and take a picture and maybe do a walkabout.

Last edited by ranles; Jan 19, 2016 at 11:52 pm Reason: add
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by oh_lol
That itinerary is also very helpful, and looks like my rough plan is to go from LV Strip direct to Bryce Canyon and stay overnight there. Then the next day look at Zion and then Valley of Fire before heading home.
Trying to visit Bryce, Zion, and Valley of Fire on a barely 2-day trip is rushing it. I suggest you either add a third day to the trip or cut out Bryce. Travel to/from Bryce would be the most iffy in winter, anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.