Wiki Posts
Search

LAX to SEA mid Sep

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

LAX to SEA mid Sep

Hi All,

Looking to take my wife to Seattle forher birthday one weekend in Sep. Will likely use AA miles to fly there but just wondering if any one has recommendations of areas to stay or must do things?

We are big foodies (& wine and beer lovers) and also just love exploring other cities cultures.

Will both be our first time in Seattle

Any help appreciated
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:36 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by prawn86
Hi All,

Looking to take my wife to Seattle forher birthday one weekend in Sep. Will likely use AA miles to fly there but just wondering if any one has recommendations of areas to stay or must do things?

We are big foodies (& wine and beer lovers) and also just love exploring other cities cultures.

Will both be our first time in Seattle

Any help appreciated
The city and hotels will be packed and expensive (and FF seats not so easy) until the cruise season winds down after the middle of the month, so if it's possible, shoot for then.

With just a weekend, stay downtown and visit the likes of the Pike Place market, ride the water taxi to West Seattle or the state ferry to Bainbridge Island. There are umpteen craft beer outlets, more restaurants, cafes, bars, dive bars, music venues... than you can possibly include in a weekend.

Knowing nothing about your budget and tastes, I'll throw out a hotel - the Mayflower Park - to consider, and a couple of resources for the food/activities questions.

The Stranger
The Weekly
Visit Seattle - Things to Do

Also check out the Seattle sticky thread, right above this one.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
If you're serious foodies, consider an excursion up to Woodinville to the Herbfarm.

Great places for foodies in-town include Tilth (Wallingford neighborhood), Poppy (Capitol Hill), Canlis (less "creative" food than the other two but impeccable service and views of Lake Union from Queen Anne neighborhood), The Whale Wins (Fremont/Wallingford) and Dahlia Lounge (Belltown).
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
In all honesty I wouldn't burn miles for this sort of trip. The fares are usually pretty decent between Alaska, southwest, JetBlue, Delta.

Seattle has a ton of restaurants you can choose from.

for a weekend just stick to the downtown core area. You can take Light rail from the airport to downtown.

Hotel rates will still be high with cruise season nearing its end.

In downtown you have various museums, Pike Place Market, restaurants in other neighborhoods around the city.

You can take boat tours on the water around the city or take ferries as just Ppassengers to Bainbridge, Vashon Island, Bremerton. You could also do a dinner cruise.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help everyone

Originally Posted by djp98374
In all honesty I wouldn't burn miles for this sort of trip. The fares are usually pretty decent between Alaska, southwest, JetBlue, Delta.
Our holiday budget has been shot this year! So while we could fly for $400 it will cost us 50k miles and we can put that $400 to a hotel. I know probably not the best value for miles but need to use them at some point
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
If you're into great cocktails, Seattle has a fantastic scene for those. Canon is one of the best cocktail places in the world - http://www.canonseattle.com/ - and there's many other fine establishments around town.

For touristy things, I recommend the Duck Tour - http://www.ridetheducksofseattle.com/ and the Underground Tour - http://www.undergroundtour.com/

I'm not a fan of Pioneer Square - where the Underground Tour is located - but a friend in the food industry tells me a number of places have opened up in this area in just the last month or so.

Have fun!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Hotel rates can be outrageous still. If you don't have any hotel points that you can use, I'd consider applying for a CC that will get you free nights in Seattle. The best hotel CCs for Seattle would be Hyatt or Fairmont. Some people might say it's a waste of a sign-up bonus since they can be used elsewhere. I agree with this but if you want to save $$$...
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
One of the best restaurant meals we ever had was at Dahlia Lounge.

http://tomdouglas.com/index.php?page=dahlia-lounge
Old Aug 9, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BAEC, SPG, Global Entry
If you're at Pike Place Market midday, I'd recommend making reservations for lunch at either Matt's in the Market or Place Pigalle.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:01 pm

Deleted

Last edited by starbug; May 20, 2020 at 11:11 pm
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips everyone. Will now however be combining a trip to TX with her bday weekend, but still keen to get up to SEA at some point so will keep all the info on file

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.