Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

PDX - heavy rain - impact?

Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

I have a DFW-PDX flight Sunday night. Weather looks to be 100% rain. Any idea how much IRROP it is likely to induce?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:47 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Airline?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
This is looking like it'll be a similar type of weather event to the one that caused all the flooding in Northern California last week. Looks like they're starting to mention flooding concerns in Portland. The one thing PDX does have going for it is there's not a lot of traffic there (relatively speaking). It's rare to see a delay posted there due to traffic backups, so any delay would more likely be due to the weather itself.

You might start looking at SEA as the weather there is supposed to be a little better (but still wet). I probably wouldn't change anything yet, but I'd start looking at my options.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Airline?
incoming - AA
outgoing (next morning) - HA to HNL

Supposed to get in 7:40pm (last direct flight of the day, there are additional connecting flights), depart 10am next morning.

Last edited by italdesign; Dec 19, 2014 at 10:55 am
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lost
This is looking like it'll be a similar type of weather event to the one that caused all the flooding in Northern California last week. Looks like they're starting to mention flooding concerns in Portland. The one thing PDX does have going for it is there's not a lot of traffic there (relatively speaking). It's rare to see a delay posted there due to traffic backups, so any delay would more likely be due to the weather itself.

You might start looking at SEA as the weather there is supposed to be a little better (but still wet). I probably wouldn't change anything yet, but I'd start looking at my options.
I looked at several Portland news sites. Interestingly none of them talks about the rain/flood on the main page. Nor is it on any national news. Nor can I find any Google News about possible travel disruption. Seems like no one thinks it's a big deal. I hope they are right.

Here in Indy whenever we are about to get significant snow (>2 in), it's always on the front page.

I hope that means it won't be bad for travel.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by italdesign
I looked at several Portland news sites. Interestingly none of them talks about the rain/flood on the main page. Nor is it on any national news. Nor can I find any Google News about possible travel disruption. Seems like no one thinks it's a big deal. I hope they are right.

Here in Indy whenever we are about to get significant snow (>2 in), it's always on the front page.

I hope that means it won't be bad for travel.
I always go to the horse's mouth when it comes to weather:
Originally Posted by NWS Portland
THERE HAVE NOT BEEN ANY SIGNIFICANT CHANGES IN THE MODELS THIS
MORNING AND WE APPEAR TO REMAIN ON TRACK FOR A SIGNIFICANT
ATMOSPHERIC RIVER EVENT BEGINNING TONIGHT. COMPARED WITH
YESTERDAY...IT LOOKS LIKE MODELS ARE SHOWING A SLIGHTLY LATER ONSET
OF TRUE WESTERLY 850 MB FLOW...WHICH WOULD SOMEWHAT LIMIT THE
OROGRAPHIC ENHANCEMENT DURING THE BEGINNING OF THE EVENT...BUT THAT
SHOULD NOT CHANGE STORM TOTAL QPF VERY MUCH. HAVE ISSUED A FLOOD
WATCH FOR THE ENTIRE FORECAST AREA BASED ON FORECASTS OF FLOOD OR
NEAR FLOOD STAGE AT MANY RIVER POINTS IN THE AREA.
www.weather.gov/pqr right now though I'm thinking you'll get the flight in.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:50 pm

It's on our front page (I work for the news )

I haven't see anything that mentioned wind, so I think you'll be fine. We are pretty used to rain this time of year. As long as there isn't some insane wind hitching a ride on the storm like what we had last week, it should be okay.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Fingers crossed!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.