Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Portland in late winter/spring...weather question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Portland in late winter/spring...weather question

My wife and I recently realized that Portland is the largest U.S. city we've never been to...in fact, we realized we know almost nothing about it at all. So here in a few months, we shall fix that.

Our calendars get crazy-busy starting in about May all the way through end of summer. I realize that would ordinarily be the ideal time to go to Portland. However, we have a few weekends open beginning in February through late April. My question is at what point do you start to get semi-decent weather in the area?

We don't need or expect it to be *great*. We'll be coming from MCI, so there's a good chance the weather will be worse at home. I figure there will be a day at the coast, a day of wine tasting, and one or two days in/around Portland proper. I have this vision of bookstores, gourmet food trucks, craft beer, local wine, and good urban hiking...the whole extent of my Portland knowledge right there. Probably a 4 day / 3 night kind of long weekend trip. Probably at a Marriott or Hilton unless there's a B&B that is so good that we pass on the points/status. There's a possibility that we will be going on one United A fare and one award, not that it really matters much.

Thoughts? Is February an awful idea? Is April markedly better? Is this a *very* off-peak time to go, or just kind of a little outside the norm?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by pinniped
Our calendars get crazy-busy starting in about May all the way through end of summer. I realize that would ordinarily be the ideal time to go to Portland. However, we have a few weekends open beginning in February through late April. My question is at what point do you start to get semi-decent weather in the area?
Desirable weather comes mid-May through mid-September, with July-August being the warmest and driest. Given a choice of February through late April, I'd choose the latest date possible. Anything within that range is likely to be rainy (Feb moreso than Apr, though). The main difference is going to be temperature. In February the rain will combine with cold (and darkness!) to make it dreary. In April it's warm enough that the rain isn't so bothersome if you're prepared for it.

I have this vision of bookstores, gourmet food trucks, craft beer, local wine, and good urban hiking...the whole extent of my Portland knowledge right there.
That's basically it in a nutshell.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:08 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
In terms of the city proper, it doesn't really matter all that much - the food trucks and Powell's Books are year-round, and the chances of rain don't diminish much between February and May, just cold rain vs. warmer rain.

Now that said, it DOES matter - a lot - once you start talking about things to do or see outside the city, which - IMO - is really what it's all about.

The later into the spring you can come, the better the experience will be in the Columbia Gorge, which IMO is at its best at that time of year. The many waterfalls along the Oregon side of the Columbia River in the spring are full of water from melting mountain snows; the new foliage on the hillsides is gorgeous, and the wonderful Hood River Valley, which runs north/south from the Columbia up (south) to the slopes of Mount Hood, will be full of orchards (apples, pears...) covered in blossoms. Mount Hood itself will still be in full swing skiing.

In the Willamette Valley it might be rainy or springlike; however if you want wineries, it's just as good an idea to stick to the Gorge but head farther east, out to Maryhill, where you'll be in gorgeous (probably sunny) sagebrush and vineyard country. Maybe visit the intriguing little Maryhill Museum - or, if you're REALLY ambitious, continue farther east to the wine country in the Washington Palouse - around Walla Walla - where the spring scenery is, IMO, some of the best in the nation.

So Portland the city would be terrific for a day or two, but I'd definitely head east through the Gorge, maybe a visit to Mount Hood, and maybe farther afield. Empty roads, sunshine (once you're past Hood River) and some of the most interesting country in the US.

For very affordable and very fun/funky accommodations, look at the McMenamins properties, in particular the Edgefield, right on the edge of the Gorge but still 20 min. from downtown Portland.

Some snapshots to illustrate, all taken in April/May -

Columbia Gorge

Mount Hood from Hood River Valley

Spring in the Palouse (around 3 hours from PDX)

Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:53 am

Having lived in both locations for extended periods, I would tell you that the weather in PDX is almost always better than MCI. PDX is not as cold in the winter, and not as hot in the summer. It does rain regularly, but it's not like the thunderstorms in KC...often just a steady drizzle. And sometimes you will get lucky even in Feb. I agree about the gorge, but for wineries I would head to the Dundee area, which is right on the way to the Coast, specifically Lincoln City and then Newport. There are several very nice smaller hotels/inns in the Newburg/Dundee area. If you're into pinnipeds as your name implies, you should definitely check out the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport. It is consistently highly rated in national surveys.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Thanks for all the info! Wow, those are gorgeous photos...looking forward to this trip!
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

OK, looks like this is happening in mid-April.

Only deviation from a typical FTer trip: wife wants nothing to do with the standard Marriott/Hilton/Starwood scene...she wants a B&B, and I think we want to spend most of our time along the coast and in wine country. Our flight back out of PDX will be a 6AM flight, so I'm thinking our last day will be in Portland proper and an airport hotel to end the trip. But 2-3 nights in a B&B....recommendations???
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS (former)MVP, DL [NW-WP], AC Aeroplan, Starbucks Gold :)
Talking Welcome (in advance) to Oregon!

Originally Posted by pinniped
OK, looks like this is happening in mid-April.

Only deviation from a typical FTer trip: wife wants nothing to do with the standard Marriott/Hilton/Starwood scene...she wants a B&B, and I think we want to spend most of our time along the coast and in wine country. Our flight back out of PDX will be a 6AM flight, so I'm thinking our last day will be in Portland proper and an airport hotel to end the trip. But 2-3 nights in a B&B....recommendations???
As an Oregonian, I welcome you warmly in advance to my beautiful state.

If you are interested in the Coast as well as wine tasting, my recommendation would be to find a B&B along the coast and then go to wine country coming back or going to. If you like "off the beaten path" locations with less crowds, Oceanside is a beautiful small coastal community west of Tillamook (which has the Tillamook Creamery with cheese factory tours and killer chocolate ice cream and the Air museum). Many years ago I stayed at the Turtlejane's Bed and Breakfast in Oceanside which is perched high atop a coastal cliff and I recall expansive and beautiful coastal views from that B & B. But getting to wine country from there is a haul. If you want to go wine touring coming back from the coast, then I would search for a B&B around Newport or Depoe Bay.

Regardless what you choose, I strongly recommend planning your route so that you only deal with OR highway 99W in the vicinity of Dundee (the heart of the wine country) and Newburg once. That segment of 99W is legendary for traffic issues and delays stemming from all the winery- and through-traffic that traverse there. So one strategy would be to use US26 or US26-to-OR6 going to the coast from Portland, then US101 going down the coast and then OR18-to-OR99W coming back or vice-versa. This will allow you to (a) complete a loop, (b) see more of Oregon when compared to a "down-and-back" strategy and (c) limiting your 99W time to when you go touring wineries. OR6 is more scenic than US26 when traversing the Coast Range in my opinion.

EDIT: Here is a link to a map where I lay out visually what I described above. Alternatively, you could drive east from Newport on US20 then north on 99W at Corvallis (assuming you loop counter-clockwise). There are some wineries north of Corvallis as well though no where near the density surrounding Dundee. In contrast to 99W around Dundee, the Corvallis to McMinnville segment is quite pleasant, scenic, and generally traffic free.

Hope I have helped!

~FAIPDXFlyer

*PS Newport has Rogue Ales brewery which is one of the anchors of Oregon's vast brew and beer scene

Last edited by FAIPDXFlyer; Feb 14, 2015 at 8:26 pm Reason: Added map link and more details

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.