Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Roadtrip between CA and Oregon? [moved from California forum]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by OliverB
This thread had me contemplating some other road trips between CA and OR as well; particularly driving north along 101 coastal route and then cutting east from Cannon Beach through Hood River and Columbia Gorge all the way accross to Joseph and Wallowa Lake, ending in Portland and flying home.

Ideally I'd like to kick it off around Eugene but there doesn't seem to be any easily accessible way of getting there. I could drive all the way upstate but I'm trying to be efficient since I want to focus on the Oregon part of this roadtrip. There are direct flights from SFO on United Express but since it's a regional airport, we'd be looking at $500 for a one-way fare! I suppose we could possibly do a connection through PDX on Alaska but it seems kind of silly to connect in Portland, fly back south to OTH, then drive back North up towards Cannon. The Amtrak or Coastal Starlight (I forget which rail runs up the coast) is like 12 hours and I've gotten horrible feedback from those that have taken it south down to LA. I'd rather drive in less time. Are there any other nearby airports that are serviced by SFO or Oakland that I might consider? I'd like to set off up the coast somewhere around the Siuslaw Nat'l Forest; near Yachats or thereabouts. Any suggestions? This wouldn't be for several months btw, I'm just thinking about it now...
Unites serves Medford, Eugene, North Bend/Coos Bay from SFO. OTH is the only "big" airport on the coast, and the frequency goes down to 4 flights a week in the winter. Seaport flys their Cessna Caravans 2-3 trips daily from PDX to OTH. They now codeshare with Alaska. You can also fly into Cresent City and drive up the coast.

If you want to start off near Florence, EUG might be your best bet, it's only an hour drive on 128.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: Priority Club, Marriott Rewards; AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards
I'm planning a trip like this July 2015. Fly in to PDX at noon, stay there for the night then take 101 to Klamath a couple of nights to see the Redwoods, 101 to SF for night and fly out the next morning. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by BankerBee
I'm planning a trip like this July 2015. Fly in to PDX at noon, stay there for the night then take 101 to Klamath a couple of nights to see the Redwoods, 101 to SF for night and fly out the next morning. Any suggestions? Thanks
You realize Klamath (County, Klamath Falls) is inland and off US97?

Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:28 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by rwoman
You realize Klamath (County, Klamath Falls) is inland and off US97?

You realize Klamath CA is partway between Crescent City and Eureka? It's at the mouth of the Klamath River, for which the above Oregon places are named.

Note - Klamath for two nights? Really?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
You realize Klamath CA is partway between Crescent City and Eureka? It's at the mouth of the Klamath River, for which the above Oregon places are named.

Note - Klamath for two nights? Really?
No. I avoid that part of the coast. Tainted from my upbringing in NorCal.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:35 am

You probably have more stay choices in Cresent City, and visit the Redwoods from there. Heck, bring a sleeping bag, buy a cheap inflatable mattress and car camp at one of the state parks like Del Norte!
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:03 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Portland to Crescent City/redwood country is a very long day, and missing the southern Oregon coast would be a real shame. My preferred route is I-5 south to SR 38, out to the coast at Reedsport, then south on US 101. SR 38 is a lovely road, running along the lower Umpqua river (look for elk just before Reedsport). I like Bandon for an overnight on the southern Oregon coast - the last 70 miles or so of US 101 in Oregon is stunningly beautiful.

Klamath CA is pretty much a wide spot in the road with a cool bridge (guarded by bears.) Look at Trinidad, Arcata, or Ferndale as alternate overnight stopping points. I find Crescent City to be depressing and Eureka, despite some cool Victorian houses, to be something of a trafficky strip commercial shlog.

The Avenue of the Giants (loop) byway south of Eureka is worth every minute you can give it.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: Priority Club, Marriott Rewards; AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards
Smile

We just picked Klamath because of proximity to Redwood National Park but open to all suggestions other than I have some wimps that will be with me so no camping, LOL. Must have decent hotel with WIFI to keep them entertained.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
We just picked Klamath because of proximity to Redwood National Park but open to all suggestions other than I have some wimps that will be with me so no camping, LOL. Must have decent hotel with WIFI to keep them entertained.
I've stayed in various towns along the coast in far-Northern California and Southern Oregon on several trips. I'll second the suggestion above for Bandon, OR. It's a small town with a beautiful, nature-oriented beach and numerous small motels. Crescent City and Eureka are also right on the coast and offer more in the way of name-brand motels, but I agree with the person above who opined that these towns are kind of dreary. Either way, I am typically only in my room for "8 hours and shower" when traveling in this region so I don't care too, too much.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:13 pm

Before you start, make sure you check the Oregon Department of Transportation site https://tripcheck.com/Pages/RCMap.asp?curRegion=0 for road conditions. We occasionally have floods and landslides that block the highways. Oh, drive carefully; elk and bear can mess your car up.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold
I love the whole southern Oregon coast and parts of N Cal. I was just in Bandon a few days ago in fact. I like Gold Beach for access to the Rogue River as well as hikes north and south of there: Humbug Mt, Cape Sebastian, The Samuel Boardman section. In 50 minutes you can be to Hwy 199 and Jedidiah Smith redwoods. I did stay in Klamath, CA a few months ago at the Requia Inn and found it nice with great dinner at their restaurant. A favorite drive in the park system is out to Fern Canyon in the northern part of Humboldt Co.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.