Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ABQ Sunport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Not mentioned earlier, but the Rio Grande Brew Pub and Grille airside at ABQ is pretty decent (for airports).

Not airport related, but in general, traffic isn't too bad in ABQ. The exception being Balloon Fiesta, in which case it can be a mess.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by flamingpanties
Why does the ABQ Sunport call itself an "international" airport when it's anything but?
ABQ has a U S Customs Station that processes non-airline international flights.

Not too long ago, both F9 and AM had international flights from ABQ.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
Originally Posted by Tanic
ABQ has a U S Customs Station that processes non-airline international flights.

Not too long ago, both F9 and AM had international flights from ABQ.
What's a non-airline international flight? What's F9? I assume AM is American Airlines (AA).
Old Sep 21, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
What's a non-airline international flight? What's F9? I assume AM is American Airlines (AA).
F9 is Frontier Airlines, AM is Aeromexico. A non-airline flight could be freight, chartered, or general aviation.

International airports are airports with customs and immigration services.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
Originally Posted by ajGoes
F9 is Frontier Airlines, AM is Aeromexico. A non-airline flight could be freight, chartered, or general aviation.

International airports are airports with customs and immigration services.
Thanks for decoding. I don't understand posts that are loaded with aviation code. Why is Frontier called F9?

I found another airport located at the West Mesa. Anyone know what this one is about? http://www.abqsunport.com/about-us/d...le-ii-airport/
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Thanks for decoding. I don't understand posts that are loaded with aviation code. Why is Frontier called F9?

I found another airport located at the West Mesa. Anyone know what this one is about? http://www.abqsunport.com/about-us/d...le-ii-airport/
The page you linked to says "Double Eagle II Airport (AEG) is an active general aviation facility...." General aviation is a broad category that covers every kind of fixed-wing flying that isn't scheduled. Maybe helicopters (i.e., non-fixed-wing) count, too. Student pilots, flight instructors, and owners of light planes tend to use mostly general-aviation airports.

I imagine Frontier ended up with F9 because all the more plausible two-letter codes beginning with F were already taken. The list I linked to does not include FT, though, which seems like it would fit.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I imagine Frontier ended up with F9 because all the more plausible two-letter codes beginning with F were already taken. The list I linked to does not include FT, though, which seems like it would fit.
FT is not currently in use, but it was used by Siem Reap Airways. The original Frontier airLines used FL, but when they returned after a long slumber, FL was taken by Air Tran (hq in FLorida) which now belongs to WN. Oops getting a bit OT.

Oh BTW, the link to FlyerTalk's very own glossary is at the bottom of the page. All the secret codes.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Airlines have two-letter codes assigned by the IATA. We use them here as shorthand. Many of the codes happen to match the airlines' names and thus seem like obvious abbreviations. For example, UA is United Airlines, AA is American Airlines, and BA is British Airways. On the not-obvious side F9 is Frontier, B6 is Jet Blue, and WN is Southwest, to name just a few.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Has anybody been thru ABQ lately?
Flying out 0700 Fri morning, wnated to know how the security process is going.

Thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Insulator-King
Has anybody been thru ABQ lately?
Flying out 0700 Fri morning, wnated to know how the security process is going.

Thanks.
Came thru last Thurs @ around 6:50 am-very quick & efficient. Full PC open. No issues.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by txrus
Came thru last Thurs @ around 6:50 am-very quick & efficient. Full PC open. No issues.
OK Thanks. I should be there about 0600 myself.
Err, what's PC?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:33 pm

In my experience, TSA staff have always been courteous and professional. This includes staff at the Sunport where I was given special security clearance for some reason. I flew to ABQ on AA using miles.

Where is the $3 a day parking lot? $10 doesn't sound so good.

Santa Fe looks like the coolest little airport ever, and I'd go there just to see it.
Just driving up on I25 today, there is a huge billboard saying Airport Parking $2.50/ day, exit 221 I think. This is of course off the actual airport, but still within 1/2 - 3/4 mile.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Insulator-King
OK Thanks. I should be there about 0600 myself.
Err, what's PC?
Pre Check...sorry & happy flying ^
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
ABQ has really inexpensive off-airport parking. One of the advantages of living in NM.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I've flown to/from ABQ before, but it has been a long time.

How early do I need to get there for a 10:45am flight on a Sunday morning? I will need to return a car, and I know that is a remote facility. I'll also need to get gas for the rental car.

I'll be coming from The Plaza area in Santa Fe. I'm thinking if I leave around 8am I should be OK. I do have PreCheck.

From what I remember, there really wasn't too much after security, and I don't remember security being that busy (not like AUS can get). I'll do carry-on only and mobile BP, so won't need to deal with any AAgents prior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.