Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Visiting Durango and environs - things to do, how long to stay, where to eat, etc.?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting Durango and environs - things to do, how long to stay, where to eat, etc.?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

So how long of a visit should one plan to have in Durango?

It looks like the city could serve as a base for day trips to other places (Four Corners, Mesa Verde, hiking elsewhere), but is there enough to keep one reasonably occupied for, say, a week? Or is that too long?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:48 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Suggest you ask those questions in The West forum. Here's one thread with some Durango thoughts: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...ngo-aspen.html
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Visiting Durango and environs - things to do?

So how long should/could someone reasonably stay in Durango for a vacation?

It seems like the town is well situated for day trips around the area (Mesa Verde, Four Corners, hiking, etc), but is a week too long? Too short?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Durango can, but i think Cortez or Famrington are better.

(Farmington because the Courtyard is a cat 2 10K hotel and TownPlace is a cat 1 7.5K hotel while in Durango the Residence In nis 30K cat 6---Marriott still has the 4 night point stays you get a 5th night free (5 nights at Courtyard costs 40K pts and 5 nights at TownPlace costs30K pts --heard somewhere that this potentially will end ).

Cortez & Farmington to Durango is about an hr which then can pull Monument Valley and Canyon de chelly as easier day trips those places re about a 2-2.5 hr drive from Cortez/Farmington while 3+ from Durango

1. Mesa Verde
2. Chaco canyon
3. Canyon de Chelly
4. Monument Valley
5. US 550 Durango-Silverton-Ouray
6. a bunch of other national monuments (mostly ancient living sites) or state parks

the stay depends on on what you want to due.

Durango is a western town with a decent main street/shopping district area. You can easily spend a day in the town.

Last edited by djp98374; Jun 3, 2014 at 5:58 pm
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler

It seems like the town is well situated for day trips around the area (Mesa Verde, Four Corners, hiking, etc), but is a week too long? Too short?
Nobody can answer that for you. Really outdoorsy types could fill a month, IMHO. Somebody who needs urban attractions and isn't satisfied with views and sunshine could struggle with a long weekend.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler

Four corners is a long boring drive --- and I would skip it, unless you're going to do Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon.

The train to Silverton is a must do and takes a full day and you should make your reservation early.

You might also want to ride the Cumbres and Toltec

see

http://cumbrestoltec.com/

and its a full day.

Mesa Verde is a full day and places like Telluride are also well worth a visit.

and we're probably in the wrong forum for this type of discussion!

Bob H
Old Jun 5, 2014, 12:18 pm

I'd suggest the Ute tribal park, which is actually the same mesa as Mesa Verde. It's much less developed.

I have not been but have heard good things about Hovenweep, and there are a lot of mountains in the area to climb.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
From Durango, going east, Chimney Rock Mesa (between Durango and Pagosa Springs) is an interesting site to walk around and a fairly short climb to the top. But in the summer you really want to be out there early on a sunny day, before it gets too hot. I think someone will be able to recommend something in Pagosa Springs, but I have only driven through, not visited. IIRC, it is about 1 hr east of Durango, so easily a day trip for both.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Has anyone taken the Christmas tree train from Durango? Any thoughts on doing it with four small kids? How far do you have to walk into the forest to get a tree?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Blind and Green
Has anyone taken the Christmas tree train from Durango? Any thoughts on doing it with four small kids? How far do you have to walk into the forest to get a tree?
I sent a note to the Durango Railroad regarding the train. The Christmas tree train has not been verified this year. They told me to check back at the end of October.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All I know is that The Olde Schoolhouse* just south of Purgatory is a dive bar with excellent pizza (and a resident cat).

* I am not affiliated with this establishment; I just went there once.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Blind and Green
I sent a note to the Durango Railroad regarding the train. The Christmas tree train has not been verified this year. They told me to check back at the end of October.
I just booked the Christmas tree train... looking forward to our first SW Colorado trip. We'll probably stop at Great Sand Dunes NP on the way out.

Thanks for the Olde Schoolhouse recommendation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.