Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Best way to get to the Grand Canyon from Phoenix??:)

Best way to get to the Grand Canyon from Phoenix??:)

Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Drive it yourself....unsure how much time you have for this trip.

You can either drive the interstate up to Flagstaff or drive through Sedona, then to the grand canyon, then to Vegas.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Do you think one side is better for driving verses the other? Thanks so much for this input! Oh I didn't even think about staying overnight! Might have to look into some hotels to extend the day
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I'll be in Vegas for about a week. And I know I surely don't need a week in Vegas! lol Might even hit up San Diego as another day trip.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Asha Tasha
Do you think one side is better for driving verses the other? Thanks so much for this input! Oh I didn't even think about staying overnight! Might have to look into some hotels to extend the day
Traveling to/from Las Vegas it's roughly the same amount of driving time whether you visit the North Rim or South. To/From Phoenix the North Rim is 2 hours further than the South Rim.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jun 4, 2014 at 7:12 am Reason: Removed unnecessarily personalized comment
Old Jun 3, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Thanks! I'll be in Vegas for about a week. And I know I surely don't need a week in Vegas! lol Might even hit up San Diego as another day trip.
Vegas to San Diego is about a 6 hour drive one way without traffic. Bit more than a day trip.

Looking at your trip, I would say...

Arrive in PHX, drive to Flagstaff (2 hour drive)
Spend two or three nights in Flagstaff, visiting the Grand Canyon and Sedona
Continue on to Las Vegas, spend rest of trip there. Fly home from LAS.

This is assuming you don't want to spend any time visiting Phoenix. You can find some really good summer deals at the resorts around here.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
The South Rim offers more places to stay and things to "do". But I enjoyed our visit to the North Rim more. More rustic. Less people. More beautiful. Either way, you cant go wrong.

BTW, nothing like sunrise at the Grand Canyon.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Should mention it since a few people have mentioned sunrise at the canyon...

Most of Arizona doesn't celebrate daylight savings time, so sunrise is about 5:30am in mid July.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Oh Wow my times were off! lol I may save that for the next visit. I really just want a relaxing trip. I have enough traffic in the DC area. lol Thanks so much!

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
The South Rim offers more places to stay and things to "do". But I enjoyed our visit to the North Rim more. More rustic. Less people. More beautiful. Either way, you cant go wrong.

BTW, nothing like sunrise at the Grand Canyon.
Thanks so much for that info! Learning more and more each day! July can't get here fast enough

Originally Posted by Lost
Should mention it since a few people have mentioned sunrise at the canyon...

Most of Arizona doesn't celebrate daylight savings time, so sunrise is about 5:30am in mid July.
Thanks for this info! Gotta love a good sunrise

Last edited by cblaisd; Jun 4, 2014 at 4:09 pm Reason: merged poster's three consecutive posts
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:16 pm

We have done LV/North Rim/LV and I would suggest this trip. You have Valley of Fire SP leaving Vegas toward Saint George. Snow Canyon State Park, and Zion National Park, all on the way to the North Rim.Let's not forget Bryce Canyon National Park, Coral Pink Sand Dunes and the list is endless.

We did 2 nites in Kanab which is pretty central and beautiful in it's own right.
North Rim high summer, no lines and very few people, it was unforgettable.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Oh thanks for the tips!!! I will look into having an overnight stay in Kanab
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Now I am jealous. Talking to my wife about getting back.

My favorite "great circle" was:

Landing in Las Vegas. Driving to GC South Rim. Up to Monument Valley. Back through Bryce Canyon and Zion NP then Las Vegas.

Another trip we made it to Arches NP and Islands in the Sky.

A 3rd trip we went NW from Vegas: Death Valley, Yosemite, Sequoia.

Its all extraordinary. The sprawl we have in DC/MD vs the vast beauty and open spaces out there.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Yes I hear its always fun going back!!! Im super excited I have two weeks in that area. I can officially add San Diego to my adventure!!! Thanks so much for sharing your trips! Its much appreciated!!!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
Was just checking in to see if you could give any info about your trip? Thinking about replicating it.....
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
The OP has been inactive for almost 6 months..likely not getting a response.

Questions--create your own thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.