Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Better Public Transportation - SEA or PDX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:21 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver

Which city has better public transportation both in terms of getting from the airport to the city as well as within the city - Seattle or Portland, OR?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Both cities have a light rail system that will get you from the airport to the downtown core.

Otherwise, I guess it really depends what you want to do once there. If you stay in either downtown, you can simply walk to many places.

That said, the Portland light rail has more lines and goes more places. There is also a good bus system that can get you most places.
I'm sure Seattle has a good bus system, but only the 1 light rail line.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS Gold
PDX by a long shot. Much more light rail mileage plus streetcar downtown.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by iflypdx
Also, the Portland MAX light rail system boards at PDX from very close to the Alaska Airlines baggage claim; the light rail at SEA requires a hike out to where the station is. That said, both cities have very good transit systems.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by iflypdx
No question, no contest at all. Portland's light rail and streetcar system is much better, and the light rail at the airport so much easier to use.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Portland/PDX by a mile. Not only is Portland's Tri-Met coordinated bus + light rail system more robust and easier to use, especially light rail at the airport, but the Seattle metro area's mass transit infrastructure is a crazy quilt of overlapping authorities and networks: Metro buses, Sounder buses, special RapidRide buses, Community Transit buses, Sounder light rail and heavy / commuter rail, South Lake Union Trolley light rail, Pierce County express buses, Washington State ferries, King County water taxi... it's pretty difficult to figure out, and service is nonetheless spotty and long-interval, especially evenings and weekends.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 7:01 am

This sounds like a rather random question. Where specifically do you want to go? Are you moving?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:24 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

I have an option to connect at PDX or SEA for an upcoming flight, and I want to make the connection a stopover. But I don't want to rent a car for a day just to get from the airport to my hotel (and my hotel to downtown if I don't stay in downtown). I have never been to either and am equally interested in seeing both. I haven't picked a hotel yet either, but I'd like to stick with IHG.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:38 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by agp423
I have an option to connect at PDX or SEA for an upcoming flight, and I want to make the connection a stopover. But I don't want to rent a car for a day just to get from the airport to my hotel (and my hotel to downtown if I don't stay in downtown). I have never been to either and am equally interested in seeing both. I haven't picked a hotel yet either, but I'd like to stick with IHG.
Then I'd go with the Crowne Plaza in Seattle; the CP in Portland is on the other side of the river from downtown. Holiday Inns and HIEs in both cities are outside the downtown cores.

You can take the light rail from Seatac to either the University Street or Westlake stations, from which (either) it's around a 3-4 block walk to the hotel. You're probably a 10 min. walk from the CP to the Pike Place Market and 5 min. further (down the hill) to the central waterfront. Everything is pretty walkable in downtown Seattle, although it's notably hillier than downtown Portland.

When would you be coming?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:48 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

I wouldn't mind staying in HI/HIx if they are close to public transportation stops that would take me to downtown. Besides, CP does not always have free breakfast.

I would be there once in early July, and once early November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.