Search

Help convince my wife to move to Portland, OR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Help convince my wife to move to Portland, OR

Fellow FTers,

I'm considering moving my family to Portland, OR from San Diego. My company is expanding to this area and I'd like to take the opportunity. After bringing it up, I had the wife sold until she read about the 144 average days of sunshine a year. We both grew up in the upper midwest, so we've been around crap weather before. She's agreed to travel up there for a couple days in early February to check it out. I'd like some suggestions from those familiar with the place to recommend where to go to sell her on it. Here's our situation:

- We'll be in town Feb 5-6.
- We're staying at the Embassy Suites downtown. (she loves downtown anywhere)
- We will not have a car. One of the things that interests her about PDX is the public transit, so I'm hoping to show her its everything that its made out to be.
- We will have our 2 1/2 year old daughter with us. She hates her stroller (which we won't be bringing) and loves being outdoors.
- My wife also loves being outdoors and is a distance runner/hiker/biker
- We both LOVE beer of the local variety. However, since our daughter is with us, we need to be able to go to a place that is relatively kid friendly. The breweries and brewpubs in San Diego are pretty good about kids, but I don't know about up there.
- I've been looking at houses in Beaverton, Gladstone, and Centennial/Gresham. She prefers neighborhoods that are a little more urban, but I'm hoping to show her its not a spread out as San Diego is with regards to the 'burbs. I'd like to walk a few neighborhoods that are accessible with public transit.
- We will be checking out VooDoo Donuts since its right around the corner from our hotel.
- We like food shopping at local markets for produce. Those we have in abundance here in SoCal. Is there anything like that we could check out up that way?
- Suggestions of places to eat are welcome too. We are not chain/Applebees type and would be looking for something with unique food, a good beer list, reasonable for small children, at a decent price point.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

-SANbound
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:05 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
My first recommendation would be to reconsider having a car. In early February it's more likely than not to be wet, and waiting for buses or streetcars with a toddler, with short daylight hours... meh. You can survey more neighborhoods, try more cafes or pubs, and just do more, dry, than without one. Maybe just rent one for a day and not pay hotel parking, but give both of yourselves a chance to see more than the downtown core.

Maybe even run out to Multnomah Falls and a couple of the Columbia Gorge overlooks, just to get an idea of how close you are to splendid outdoors areas from Portland.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Lots of great neighborhoods to choose from to live without heading to the suburbs. Look at Mt Tabor, Mt Scott, Sellwood areas to start. You will love Voodoo. We now have one in Denver and there are long lines everytime I drive by.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 8:41 pm

Powells Books!

Powell's City of Books is a book lover's paradise, the largest used and new bookstore in the world. Located in downtown Portland, Oregon, and occupying an entire city block, the City stocks more than a million new and used books. Nine color coded rooms house over 3,500 different sections, offering something for every interest, including an incredible selection of out-of-print and hard-to-find titles.

Each month, the Basil Hallward Gallery (located upstairs in the Pearl Room) hosts a new art exhibit, as well as dozens of author events featuring acclaimed writers, artists, and thinkers such as Roddy Doyle, Joyce Carol Oates, Michael Chabon, Annie Leibovitz, and President Jimmy Carter.

The City's Rare Book Room gathers autographed first editions and other collectible volumes for readers in search of a one-of-a-kind treasure.

And the City's newest addition (October 2010) is Powell's Books Bldg. 2, a relocation of Powell's Technical Books, brings mathematics, sciences, computing, engineering, construction, and transportation sections closer to visitors at the flagship store. Bldg. 2 is located across the street from the City of Books on the corner of NW 10th and Couch.
http://www.powells.com/locations/powells-city-of-books/
Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: United, American
Quite frankly, it sounds like she might like Portland more than San Diego. It's still a quiet city from what I've seen of both of them, but it is much more urban.

Here is your brewery list: http://www.portlandbeer.org/breweries/map/
(I believe that Rogue has a taphouse in Portland, though their brewery is elsewhere. The region has a number of other breweries, as well. I'm sure Google could help you find many sites dedicated to Oregon/Portland beer.)

Here are farmer's markets: http://www.portlandfarmersmarket.org/
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Maybe even run out to Multnomah Falls and a couple of the Columbia Gorge overlooks, just to get an idea of how close you are to splendid outdoors areas from Portland.
+1 on this. The falls along the Columbia Gorge are splendid in warm, sunny weather but can be sublime on overcast, drizzly days.

Visiting with your partner in February to sell her on Portland seems odd as the weather is typically cold and rainy. The area shows better during the warm, dry summers. But probably she already knows that Portland winters are dreary, so showing her the city's charm despite the dreariness may be the best way to succeed.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Portland is one of the cities I'd absolutely love to live in. It has such a unique vibe to it and so many local restaurants and bars and nightlife for everyone plus some beautiful houses. Plus decent service out of their airport and it's an easy trip to Seattle too. I wouldn't need much convincing.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:59 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I considered moving to Portland this last year (after having spent 25 years in Seattle I wanted a bit of a change). I usually go to Portland 4 times a year and this time I spent a week there. It has definitely gotten too "hipster" for its own good imo. The public transportation system is excellent though. There are lots of parks - stop by the Rose Garden and walk around. The Pearl District is right downtown and has lots of restaurants, pubs, etc. Would suggest you take a look at this month's issue of Seattle Met - the cover story is all about Portland and what to do there.

My favorite thing is that there is no sales tax at all I did not move there because it has changed so much and not for the good imo. Now the Oregon Coast is fabulously wonderful!
Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
My friend took me to this place and it is EXCELLENT:
http://screendoorrestaurant.com/

Uses locally-sourced ingredients to create delicious southern fare. I am generally a critic of Portland but I will say that the "locally-sourced" restaurants my hipster friend insisted we eat at had some of the best food I have ever tasted. We went to several - unfortunately, that is the only one I "checked into" online so I do not know the names of the others.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: Airlines: DL-Silver, UA-Silver Hotels: MR-LT PP
Please don't post about The Screendoor! It's already hard to get a seat. We don't want others to find out about it.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
Seems like you've already come and gone, but you may want to take a look at Meriweathers for incredible and delicious local and organic food (on NW 23rd), and New Seasons Markets. The gorge is great, as is forest park and the water front.

My advice, skip voodoo donuts. The line hardly makes it worth it these days. You might save more time doing a mileage run to DEN to the new VooDoo store they opened there than standing in line in Portland to get one.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, UR, IHG, HH, BA, CC
We stayed at the Embassy Suites and really liked it. My advice: even though the breakfast is free, skip it and go next door to the Blue Ribbon Baking Company for an amazing cup of coffee and mini bundt cakes. Walking around that area, you'll come across tons of food truck pods - any kind of food you can imagine, for ridiculously cheap. Go to Powell's books, and if you can, go see Mount Hood and the Japanese Tea Gardens. I would definitely move to Portland if I could!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.