Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Glacier National Park - Info, Questions, & Recommendations" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Glacier National Park - Info, Questions, & Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by swei0009
You won't hit really bad crowds till July & August, and the weekends are A LOT worse. We're having a lot of snow this winter so the roads may take a little longer to clear in June. Glacier is also (like Yellowstone) pretty run down. The roads are not up to the traffic, there aren't enough restrooms, not enough parking, not enough places to eat, things are dirty, etc. It's really very disappointing. :-(

We go to Yellowstone every year, either the first weekend it opens, or after Oct 15. We usually end up in Glacier one weekend. We like Yellowstone better, because it's geekier.

If I wanted to see major scenery, get some good hiking, and still have a calm, restful experience I'd go to Banff. And I'd keep driving -- Kootenay National Park is really swell, and has natural hot springs.
Thats what I want. I will have to keep your advice in mind. Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2009, 8:47 am

Ok folks...........how 'bout this idea? Rent an RV?

I can rent an RV out of Calgary for about $600 (Tax, 700km included). Are there nice RV parks in Banff, Waterton that I can take advantage of? I'm guessing that the roads in this part of Canada (Particularly in the parks) are decent........would that be accurate?
Old Jan 24, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA
The roads from Calgary through Banff and Kootenay Parks are swell. Wide and well maintained. I'd think just fine for an RV. A lot nicer for an RV than Y'stone or Glacier. Plenty of parking, roadside pullouts, RV camping places.

The only place the RV would be icky is in the town of Banff itself -- the town / shopping area isn't really vehicle friendly. No problem, there's plenty of parking, and Banff the town is a lot more fun on foot.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by swei0009
The roads from Calgary through Banff and Kootenay Parks are swell. Wide and well maintained. I'd think just fine for an RV. A lot nicer for an RV than Y'stone or Glacier. Plenty of parking, roadside pullouts, RV camping places.

The only place the RV would be icky is in the town of Banff itself -- the town / shopping area isn't really vehicle friendly. No problem, there's plenty of parking, and Banff the town is a lot more fun on foot.
The roads in Yellowstone and Glacier really are that bad?
Old Jan 24, 2009, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by NorcrossFlyer
Well they are generally narrow, one lane in each direction, no shoulder roads. So you get stuck behind loooooong lines of slow movers. Also in Glacier they routinely get washed out and there's not much money for repair.

In Banff the roads are wider, more sections with 2 lanes in each direction, etc. And a lot fewer vehicles.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: CO, HH, LH, F9
Roads

Originally Posted by NorcrossFlyer
Yes, the roads in Yellowstone and Glacier are in poor condition. If Obama really wanted a good place to show off the infrastructure plan, Yellowstone would be a choice location. Many of the roads are stuck together by nothing more than paint and crack repair tar. The sub-base needs to be ripped out and put back in. To do it right, the park should be closed for 2 years and the whole roadways completely redone. Yes, the worlds tourists would revolt but the park would be open to hikers through a number of backcountry trails and some places on the perimeter are in good shape (Mammoth, W. Yellowstone, Rockerfeller Pkwy.) If the world is really going into a deep recession, now would be the time to do it as visitor numbers would be down.

The real reason why it would never happen is that 1) Wyoming and Montana congressmen and senators would go ballistic as well as many others, 2) environmentalist wackos would want to keep the park perminantly closed to vehicles, 3) our government refuses to let one person suffer the indignity of going to the park gate and finding it locked except in winter (somewhat like the Digital TV fiasco).
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:20 pm

You know, that's not a bad idea. Think about all the state parks, national parks, national memorials, etc that were created under FDR. One look at them and you say "WPA built this."

It would be money well spent, and it would be a sort of lasting legacy.

But I'd complain if Y'stone was closed :-)
Old Feb 2, 2009, 10:30 am

Compared to other parts of the world, the wonders and wildlife of Glacier Nat. Park are accessible with relative ease. If you are looking for a speedy park experience then you won't like Glacier. The roads are subject to incredible wear and tear because of weather conditions. Sometimes slow moving traffic is annoying, but generally if you will slow down, relax and start paying attention to the world outside your car window you will see things you would have otherwise never noticed.

June is less crowded, as are weekdays. The bad traffic tie-ups one inevitably encounters in Yellowstone (bison, etc. in the road) are not typical. If you go later in the summer there is a bigger chance your trip might be affected by the fires that have been so common throughout the West. Be prepared for changing weather & mosquitos (June generally is peak season -as it's warming up and things are wetter.)

Don't think that the park is only about the Going-to-the-Sun Road.
Spend time hiking in the Many Glacier area. There are beautiful hikes where you will encounter only a handful of other hikers. This is the primary grizzly area of the park; if you don't want to meet one, doublecheck trail status with a ranger before starting.

The road up the west side to Kintla Lake is primarily gravel. A beautiful, secluded area of the park. Go early & drive slowly for excellent opportunities (especially in June) to spot black bears with cubs, foxes, wolves w/ pups. The wolves in that area use the backroads in their nightly roaming and can be spotted in early morning, especially in June before there is more traffic.

I've found the Canadian (Waterton) side of the park to be more congested. Unless you are a serious backpacker there is less space for people to spread out. The Prince of Wales is quite nice, but keep in mind that the best feature of any of these park lodges is their proximity, not their amenities.

Last edited by hat attack; Apr 21, 2018 at 9:04 pm
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
NorcrossFlyer, if you're still looking at going into Canada instead of Montana, I would HIGHLY suggest visiting closer to Field, British Columbia in Yoho National Park (the national park immediately adjacent to the west of Banff), instead of Banff itself. While Banff is nice, I found Yoho it to be the most amazing park I've ever been in, even of those in the US (not counting Yellowstone if you're strictly counting the variety of wildlife that we've seen). Lake O'Hara is the most scenic place I've ever seen...just beautiful, NO CROWDS, and almost indescribable. The only way I could possibly try to describe it is if my fiance had had her camera out and ready for when I got off the bus at Lake O'Hara and turned around and saw the lake and the surrounding mountains for the first time. My jaw hanging off of the ground would have quite evident of what I thought of it from first glance, and it only got better from there once we started hiking around the lake. The only caveat is that you and your wife are fit enough to do the hike around the lake...the hike as a whole isn't bad, but the ascent, even for conditioned hikers, is steep (and we only had camelbacks on).
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/yoho/activ/activ15a_e.asp

Another great Yoho hike that blows Banff away is the Iceline Parkway Trail. Let me know if you want more info.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by scotty00
NorcrossFlyer, if you're still looking at going into Canada instead of Montana, I would HIGHLY suggest visiting closer to Field, British Columbia in Yoho National Park (the national park immediately adjacent to the west of Banff), instead of Banff itself. While Banff is nice, I found Yoho it to be the most amazing park I've ever been in, even of those in the US (not counting Yellowstone if you're strictly counting the variety of wildlife that we've seen). Lake O'Hara is the most scenic place I've ever seen...just beautiful, NO CROWDS, and almost indescribable. The only way I could possibly try to describe it is if my fiance had had her camera out and ready for when I got off the bus at Lake O'Hara and turned around and saw the lake and the surrounding mountains for the first time. My jaw hanging off of the ground would have quite evident of what I thought of it from first glance, and it only got better from there once we started hiking around the lake. The only caveat is that you and your wife are fit enough to do the hike around the lake...the hike as a whole isn't bad, but the ascent, even for conditioned hikers, is steep (and we only had camelbacks on).
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/yoho/activ/activ15a_e.asp

Another great Yoho hike that blows Banff away is the Iceline Parkway Trail. Let me know if you want more info.
This is great info. I know nothing of this park, so I'll have to do some research. Thanks!
Old May 15, 2009, 1:45 pm

Glacier with 11 month old

I live in Montana and specialize in planning customized trips to the Rockies. I don't agree that Glacier is overrun with tourists - you just HAVE to know where to go to get away from them.

I also have 2 kids and 11 months is a GREAT age b/c you can carry them in a nice backpack assuming you like to do that sort of thing.

The Going to the Sun Road is going to be iffy in early June though. I would suggest waiting until later June.

Unless you're a big fan of staying in historic lodges ( I love them but most people think they are too spartan ), you can stay somewhere like the Good Medicine Lodge or the Lodge at Whitefish Lake. Get up early and drive into Glacier. Hike to Avalanche Lake and do some hiking from the top of Logan Pass - very well marked trails. There are a few easy to reach waterfalls down the eastern side of Logan as well.

Another tip is to call Glacier Wilderness Guides - get a private guide for the day. You will likely see very few other people and they bring lunch, do the driving for about $450. OR, I think they have some trips that aren't that much.

Get out on Flathead Lake as well - rent a boat and bring the little one. They will love it.

Have a great time and don't ever be scared of tourists! They don't know the first thing about having a "unique experience" and all they do is visit the basics. If YOU go see those early morning and late afternoon, you'll miss them and if you're creative, you'll avoid them in the afternoon!!

Another tip is that the lodges in Canada - the Fairmont properties - have children's programs. You might even get a nice dinner out if you trust someone else to watch your baby.
Old May 21, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: CO, HH, LH, F9
A curveball not mentioned

As this is an old thread and resurrected, we all forgot one thing. You will have to have passports or passport cards for both kids to cross the border after June 1. Also, the rental agencies at GPI or MSO may no longer allow rental cars to cross the border because most people still don't have passports and they will have a tough time getting the car back to the US without one. Canada will let you in but the US won't let you get back.
Old May 29, 2009, 9:34 am

Glacier Park was having discounts for June dates for E-Club members. Anyone can join the E-Club on Glacier's home page. Probably gone by now but why not phone them?
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Glacier National Park Lodging

From what I understand Glacier hotels fill up fast. Does anyone happen to know when you can make reservations for the following summer? I went to the website and it still only allows reservations for 2010.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: Hilton Gold; AA Platinum;Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Tim,

Just returned from Glacier last month and the park was wonderful. However, I made my hotel arrangements only at the end of June and still had some options within the park. You are certainly ahead of the game by thinking about it now, but my guess would be that 3-4 months in advance should be sufficient.

Enjoy your trip!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.