Wiki Posts
Search

SeaTac car rental changes

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
SeaTac car rental changes

I'm always careful which car rental company I use at Seatac because only a few keep their cars at the airport.

However, it looks like today their all moving to a consolidated facility. That sucks. I hate having to take a bus to my car, and SEA was one of the last major airports where I didn't have to do that.

http://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/P...ntal-Cars.aspx
Old May 18, 2012, 4:08 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
I never could understand why citizens and rent-a-car companies never pushed back against [centralized] rent-a-car terminals. Now people will be paying untold taxes and fees, forever. Can you tell me how much the average bill is going up.

Last edited by cblaisd; May 19, 2012 at 7:48 pm Reason: Removed tendentious OMNI/PR-type political comment. Off-topic
Old May 18, 2012, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by mbstone
Now people will be paying untold taxes and fees, forever. Can you tell me how much the average bill is going up.
Been paying lots for years. I think $2/day to the port authority for the new facility for quite a few years + all the other taxes?
Old May 23, 2012, 2:09 pm

I'm a bit confused....does this include rental companies that have always been off-site???
Old May 26, 2012, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by CBear
I'm a bit confused....does this include rental companies that have always been off-site???
You only escape the airport concession fee and SeaTac port charges if renting far far away from SEA (like in downtown). Anything in the catchment area (including off-airport sites ~ mile or more away) get included. Yes, this includes the locations that have always been off airport. Still have to pay the stadium/state taxes anywhere in the state.
Old May 27, 2012, 11:46 pm

Used the new facility on Friday and it definitely added a lot of time to my trip. Got on the bus, waited for a few other people to load, made another stop and loaded more people, decently long ride and then down an escalator to get my car. Ugh, I loved just walking over and getting a car
Old May 29, 2012, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
It's not an "improvement" if it slows down your transit, forces you to wait for things you never had to wait for before (e.g. buses), and costs you more money.
Old May 29, 2012, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
You only escape the airport concession fee and SeaTac port charges if renting far far away from SEA (like in downtown). Anything in the catchment area (including off-airport sites ~ mile or more away) get included. Yes, this includes the locations that have always been off airport. Still have to pay the stadium/state taxes anywhere in the state.
That I knew. My question was, since you already had to get on a shuttle to go to,say, Enterprise, do you now get on a shuttle that takes you to the rental site and then get on the Enterprise shuttle?
Old May 30, 2012, 12:14 pm

That I knew. My question was, since you already had to get on a shuttle to go to,say, Enterprise, do you now get on a shuttle that takes you to the rental site and then get on the Enterprise shuttle?
No Enterprise is now at the rental site. To the OP I think FLL is one of the few with multiple terminals which have the rental car facility on site. At least JFK and SFO have the AirTrain rather than a dedicated shuttle.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
According to the link in the OP, all companies except Rent-a-Wreck are at the new consolidated facility. Rent-a-Wreck, should you dare to use them, will now require a double shuttle ride...one from the airport to the consolidated facility, and a second from that facility to Rent-a-Wreck.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I do not mind the consolidated facilities if they have a train...ATL/MIA/EWR/JFK/SFO...but I do not like the bus transfers..... Not good news.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by MissJ
Used the new facility on Friday and it definitely added a lot of time to my trip. Got on the bus, waited for a few other people to load, made another stop and loaded more people, decently long ride and then down an escalator to get my car. Ugh, I loved just walking over and getting a car
That completely blows, walking to Avis and getting a car was relatively easy and fast at SEA. I hate it when airports get worse instead of better in terms of ease of use.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Marriott lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I do not mind the consolidated facilities if they have a train...ATL/MIA/EWR/JFK/SFO...but I do not like the bus transfers..... Not good news.
The bus option can be done well: IAH has done a good job of using a bus system instead of a train. It's a good thing, too, because the rental car center, while on the airport grounds, is still a looooong way from the terminals. But unlike SEA, IAH has no traffic to speak of. I appreciated SEA's on-airport options, and I too tailored my choices to avoid the shuttle buses. I'll have my chance to try out the new arrangement next month.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 12:59 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
[QUOTE=mbstone;18597984]I never could understand why citizens and rent-a-car companies never pushed back against [centralized] rent-a-car terminals. Now people will be paying untold taxes and fees, forever. Can you tell me how much the average bill is going up.[/QUOTE

actually the rental car companies was still in the airport tax zone (rental cars and hotels)...you were still paying the taxes long before that funded this structure built.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
I just did this last week. It was as good as can be expected. They appear to have at least 3-4 buses making nonstop, endless trips to the center. The trip took about 8 minutes. Once there, if you a member of any program (and I'm betting 95% of us on FT are) you go straight downstairs to your car.

One tip ... take the elevator. They have escalators that go directly to different floors and you can be easily confused. (Let me rephrase, I was easily confused).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.