Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Being a Tucson Tourist

Being a Tucson Tourist

Old Jul 16, 2006, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Being a Tucson Tourist

We'll have 3 days in Tucson and have made a possible list of things to do. We were wondering what experiences people had with these or other ideas for the visit.

1 - Tombstone (about a 90 minute drive)
2 - Sonoran Desert Museum
3 - Old Tucson movie set
4 - Suguaro Natl Park (east or west)

Also, we're open for restaurant suggestions, either expensive or cheap.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:30 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
For a quick break from the heat (may not be an issue if you're only there 3 days) is to drive up Mt. Lemmon. During part of the year there's snow-- not sure about July. Mt. Lemmon is within the city limits.

The Botanical gardens are very nice and display a variety of Southwestern plants and other plants from around the globe with comparable weather (think Africa, I think Australia, South America). The Botanical gardens are also within the city limits.

For dinner, check out the Pinnacle Peak Steakhouse-- it's an old west recreated town with different gift shops, a few free shows, and pretty good food at the steakhouse. Check it out at http://www.pinnaclepeaktucson.com/ .
Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by JerryFF

1 - Tombstone (about a 90 minute drive)
2 - Sonoran Desert Museum
3 - Old Tucson movie set
4 - Suguaro Natl Park (east or west)
Guess who just got back.

We departed from the Sheraton on Grant Ave for Tombstone. It's a nice easy ride. You'll exit the interstate for the last few miles. Just before you get to town, you'll see a sign for Boothill Cemetery on the left. It's a 10 minute diversion that's worth the suggested $2 donation.

As you depart Boothill, pass the Wyatt Earp house. @:-)
'Downtown' is just a few blocks straight ahead, then make a right.
I have to say Tombstone is kitschy, but you still have to 'do it'.

It's a very small town. The main street is covered in dirt to make it look like 1888. Gunslingers from the various shoot-out shows are walking around. Sort of lends some authenticity to the place. We were told you could go to any of the shoot-outs. We of course chose the Gunfight at the O-K Corral.
The show starts at 2:00pm. Lasts for 30 minutes. Lots of laughs. Cost was $5.50 for the shoot-out, or $7.50 is you view the 20 minute ...-o-rama type of show narrated by Vincent price. It's worth it just for the background info. If he said Tombstone, the town to tough to die one more time, I was going to pull the plug.

We had lunch across the street and down the block at a old west type saloon. You can't miss it. Good food and cheap.

We arrived at 11:30 and were gone by 3:00.

From Tombstone, we thought about heading to Nogales AZ/Mexico, a border town. After talking to a few people in Tucson, we decided to continue east for 25 miles (in 20 minutes) to Bisbee AZ.

Bisbee is a small cute, artisty type of town. There is an old gold mine there available for touring. Since we did a mine in CO a few years back, we decided to walk the main street (only one) and shop. We did some damage buying Mexican accessories at very low prices. If I was driving back to New York, we could of loaded up the car. There are a few restaurants and bars to help spend the time. We departed at 6:00 and headed back to Tucson for dinner.

The next morning, we thought about Nogales, but decided to go to Tubac AZ instead. It's about 35 minutes south of Tucson.

At first the town looked like a shopping center, with multiple blocks. Then, I realized that was the town. Very low key town with lots of shops. Drive a few blocks 'out of town' for a few more stores.

At one store that was closed on a Sunday (slow season in summer), they had a sign posted on the door. It said please leave a check, or cash, and leave it in the mailbox. Many of the pottery type of items were left outside. This would never make it in New York.

From Tubac, we headed north to the Sonoran Desert Museum. I think it cost $9 off-season, and $12 in season. Spent about 75 minutes there. Bring water. It's hot in the summer. Since time was running short, and since we saw some Suguaro's, we drove back to Phoenix.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:32 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The best formal restaurant in Tucson is Janos at the Westin resort (but run as an independent restaurant). This is the closest that Arizona will ever get to French Laundry cuisine. Pricing around USD 100 per person, so not cheap, but worth it (and cheap compared to similar food in NYC or California). Wine list is fairly good with some "bargains" in the USD 300-500 range (though the prices are all over the place, you really have to know the wine to find bargains in the list).
Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Restaurants

I did some reserach on www.zagat.com and gayot.

Cafe Poca Cosa
520-622-6400
They just moved, so call. Downtown location.

Food Decor Service Cost

26 21 22 $28

Review
Bring an open mind and empty stomach to Suzana Davilas colorful, funky and sometimes frantically paced Downtown must-visit Mexican (No. 1 for Popularity in Tucson) where Oaxacan masks and bright walls complement the exciting food that blends the homestyle with the innovative; the daily-changing, chalkboard menu showcasing a slew of interesting moles helps make a meal here magical.

This place serves drinks, entrees, and deserts. When I asked about appetisers the waitress said that the entree had so much food, that an appy was not necessary.

Entrees high teens through low $20's. I've had Mexican food in SoCal and Texas. But this place was the real thing (as mentioned above). We would have returned a second night, but wanted to try this place...

Barrio

135 S. Sixth Ave.
(Broadway Blvd.)
Tucson, AZ 85701
520-629-0191
www.barriofoodanddrink.com

Food Decor Service Cost

23 22 23 $31

Review
For creative Southwestern cooking, this funky Downtown storefront upstages others by offering an array of imaginative small plates and larger-portioned fare to pre- and post-theater patrons; if the cool vibe contributes to mellow service sometimes, consider that many maintain this hipster hot spot succeeds.

This looks like a traditional yuppie watering hole with good food.

First place goes to Cafe Poca Cosa.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Guess who just got back.

Thanks for the great report and all the details! We were about 70% convinced to go to Tombstone, but now there's no doubt!

Hope to see you back in SF again soon. We are still talking about the great Masa's event you organized for us.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
The best formal restaurant in Tucson is Janos at the Westin resort (but run as an independent restaurant). This is the closest that Arizona will ever get to French Laundry cuisine. Pricing around USD 100 per person, so not cheap, but worth it (and cheap compared to similar food in NYC or California). Wine list is fairly good with some "bargains" in the USD 300-500 range (though the prices are all over the place, you really have to know the wine to find bargains in the list).
We're actually staying at the Westin, so this seems a logical choice for one night. Thanks.

Just curious - does number 6 have anything to do with The Prisoner?
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero Joven
For a quick break from the heat (may not be an issue if you're only there 3 days) is to drive up Mt. Lemmon. During part of the year there's snow-- not sure about July. Mt. Lemmon is within the city limits.

The Botanical gardens are very nice and display a variety of Southwestern plants and other plants from around the globe with comparable weather (think Africa, I think Australia, South America). The Botanical gardens are also within the city limits.

For dinner, check out the Pinnacle Peak Steakhouse-- it's an old west recreated town with different gift shops, a few free shows, and pretty good food at the steakhouse. Check it out at http://www.pinnaclepeaktucson.com/ .
Didn't think of any of these on our own - hope we have time. Thank you too. Best, quickest responses we've gotten to similar postings. We're really getting much more excited.

One of our goals on this trip is to meet up with an old high school buddy who has become a guru of "alternative medicine" - Andrew Weil. I've seen him on TV so many times and we've talked on the phone but haven't seen him since we graduated.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
One of our goals on this trip is to meet up with an old high school buddy who has become a guru of "alternative medicine" - Andrew Weil. I've seen him on TV so many times and we've talked on the phone but haven't seen him since we graduated.

Wow - if you can get in to see him - I'm impressed. Tried to get an appt the normal way for him to see my son but never succeeded.

And don't forget katchner caverns - about an hour east , well worth the drive. And it COOL in there

As for a place to eat

Bison Witches Bar & Deli326 N 4th Ave, Tucson, AZ
Tel: (520) 740-1541

This place has some of the best deli sandwiches I have had outside of NYC; and absoultely incredible soup bowls.

Bill wont be more than $10 a person b

Last edited by jan_az; Jul 16, 2006 at 10:58 pm
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:43 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
If you can't make it to Kartchner Caverns you could give Colossal Cave a try.

You could check out the Romero Ruins in Catalina State Park.

The Pima Air and Space Museum is a nice place to visit. You may even be able to get a tour of the boneyard at the air force base. You could also visit the Titan Missile Museum south of Tucson.

Most of the Mexican restaurants I've tried around here are good. I can't remember the last time I was disappointed.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:32 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
...Just curious - does number 6 have anything to do with The Prisoner?
Of course. And quintessentially FT. But disappearing in the depths of TV history (though BBC America has it on at midnight every so often).
Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K
Sabino Canyon

I've heard that a fire has either closed this area or reduced access to the area. Any news, including how long it will be like this?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Probably too late for the original poster, but if you're at all interested in aviation then the Pima Air and Space Museum is worth a visit. I visited in July - if anyone else is planning on doing so, take a LOT of water.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 9:54 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
Originally Posted by mpetrik
I've heard that a fire has either closed this area or reduced access to the area. Any news, including how long it will be like this?
Flooding and landslides. There's been a lot of damage. Public access is now restricted to parts of the recreation area. See http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/index.shtml
Old Aug 20, 2006, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tlglenn
Flooding and landslides. There's been a lot of damage. Public access is now restricted to parts of the recreation area. See http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/index.shtml
I looked for a decent map online for this area and could not find it...is the damage such that you do not recommend seeing this area? Or it is more localized so that a decent portion of the recreation area is still open?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.