Wiki Posts
Search

Amy's Baking Company

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Amy's Baking Company

Has anyone been?

Is anyone in the Sottsdale Arizona area?

Anyone follow the Facebook meltdown or watch the Kitchen Nightmare episode?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthi...-facebook-ever

https://www.facebook.com/amysbakingco

This place seems like a must hit for any travelers that know what good food tastes like.

Try the water, it might be store bought but it'll be delicious.

Meow Meow Meow?
Old May 17, 2013, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by serioustraveler
Has anyone been?

Is anyone in the Sottsdale Arizona area?

Anyone follow the Facebook meltdown or watch the Kitchen Nightmare episode?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthi...-facebook-ever

https://www.facebook.com/amysbakingco

This place seems like a must hit for any travelers that know what good food tastes like.

Try the water, it might be store bought but it'll be delicious.

Meow Meow Meow?
My favorite (so far):

The cakes we offer are expensive because we need to repackage and ship.

So, Amy's Baking Company is actually just repackaging??
Old May 17, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I think there is a market for restaurant as trainwreck. Whatever Soup Nazi's intentions really were, clearly he found a good business model.
Old May 17, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: IC RA
I don't regularly watch the Kitchen Nightmare show, but I did see this episode. I loved how she thought Ramsay would silence her critics.
Old May 17, 2013, 3:03 pm

Amy's Baking Company

Bloggers are out to get her!!!
Old May 17, 2013, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Investor 11
I don't regularly watch the Kitchen Nightmare show, but I did see this episode. I loved how she thought Ramsay would silence her critics.
It was a mesmerizing episode. In a slow motion train wreck sort of way.
Old May 17, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: IC RA
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
It was a mesmerizing episode. In a slow motion train wreck sort of way.
Yes it was. And the ensuing Facebook meltdown was great too. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for a 3rd act of crazy from them.
Old May 17, 2013, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Careful, they're taking down names and will sue all of us!
Old May 17, 2013, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by LAXative
Careful, they're taking down names and will sue all of us!
I see they say they've got the FBI involved now.

BTW, is false advertising a crime in the US?
Old May 18, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Just starting to watch this on-demand. Looks promising.
Old May 18, 2013, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'm surprised that more of Ramsey's shows don't end up with him leaving. Delusional people, but I'm sure they look for these situations for interesting TV.
Old May 18, 2013, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by bitburgr
Just starting to watch this on-demand. Looks promising.

She speaks the language of cats. Fluently. Not as in, reading their body language and knowing whether they are content, stressed, hungry, annoyed. Not as in, "Awen't we the sweet kitty! Wet's go eat din-din!" She speaks the language of cats, as in, "Meow, meow."

Don't like her food? Think your (obviously raw pizza dough) is just a wee bit undercooked, and ask to have it put back in the oven? Her husband will ask you to, "Get the bleep out of here! You don't know food! You don't know how to eat!" while Amy calls the police because you didn't pay for your . . . tap water.

This entire episode was a goldmine of crazy. I do feel sorry for their cats, though. They have no choice but to live with that kind of crazy. And she probably feeds them the dry salmon cakes . . .
Old May 18, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
This place is right across from the Harkins Theater closest to our home, and we ride our bikes past it quite a bit.

The owners leased a number of adjoining storefronts in the late 2000s, perhaps three, right across from the movie theater, beside a nice fountain, underneath a large Roman Arch that forms the motif of the shopping arcade in which it sits. Apparently they bought out the leases of two other restaurants that were family-owned, friendly, and served tasty food. Minus one point for chasing away cheap, tasty places that I liked.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=amy's+...,+Arizona&z=18

(It is actually located further north in the building that the map indicator shows it, under the arches.)

They fenced off the very small seating area on the portico in front of the larger, combined restaurant, and then this prompted a similar arrangement from Pita Jungle, which is just thirty steps south of them, and then the coffee place on the corner south of them followed suit. This resulted in cutting off the fountain from the rest of the east side of the promenade. Also, the design motif is sort of olde fashioned French chef, which would probably fit better in the East than in Scottsdale. So minus one point for style, and minus one point for being a good neighbor.

We visited twice in the first years that they were open. The clientele was a lot of Winter Visitors and slaves to trendiness, the food was OK if somewhat pricey, and nobody acted crazy when we were there. It wasn't, however, the sort of place that I would frequent once or twice a month like its predecessors were. Minus one point for pricing.

Recently they don't seem to be open on weekdays before two or three in the afternoon. The Pita Jungle is, and so is the Blue Burrito across the parkade, and both of them pack out their exterior seating in the cool weather months. I don't get over there in the evenings, so maybe ABC does well then. Minus one point for actually being open.

Over the past years the newspaper has run several puff pieces about them, so they didn't have bad press that I knew of prior to my wife telling me about this big TV and social media debacle.

So in summary, they have a great location that is under-used and of questionable design, they seem to cater to fashionistas, and they are not open for lunch or breakfast, and they serve pricey shi-shi-la-la food. This isn't unique in Scottsdale by any stretch! It does sound like they have made a pretty big error in the use of social media, however. And it is telling that such a non-entity of a restaurant now has a huge reach of negative influence as a result of TV / social media that far, FAR outshines its actual relevance.

Last edited by Wilbur; May 18, 2013 at 10:37 am Reason: added map
Old May 19, 2013, 8:44 pm

Look at these guys' yelp reviews. They are getting slaughtered.
Old May 20, 2013, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I just realized that I checked this place out last year, as I was waiting for a movie to start. Looked clean nice enough, but the prices were way too high for my taste. We went to the Gelato Spot down the same complex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.