Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Typically how much turbulence is there on flights LGB-LAS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:31 am
Original Poster

I am not certain where to post this question, but can anyone tell me if there is a lot of turbulence traveling from Long Beach to Las Vegas? I'm aware the flight is less than 1 hour, but my sister gets extremely nervous when there is too much turbulence. If you have traveled from Long Beach to Las Vegas, can you please share if there are turbulence issues. Thank you.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:06 am

I suspect you'll get more knowledgeable answers in the California forum; please follow this thread there.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I have no direct experience going LGB to LAS. But I have done LAS to other airports in southern California. And most routes coming from the east or heading east bypass Las Vegas, Nevada.

If there were to be any turbulence, I would think it would come as you are exiting the Los Angeles Basin and flying over the San Gabriel Mountains. The flight afterwards is, IME, typically very smooth. You might also get some upon approach to LAS. That said, the likelihood and severity of any turbulence is less than that heading west out of DEN.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:20 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by agalinla
I am not certain where to post this question, but can anyone tell me if there is a lot of turbulence traveling from Long Beach to Las Vegas? I'm aware the flight is less than 1 hour, but my sister gets extremely nervous when there is too much turbulence. If you have traveled from Long Beach to Las Vegas, can you please share if there are turbulence issues. Thank you.
I have flown many times from LAX-LAS and Long Beach isn't far from LAX.
Truthfully, there is often turbulence flying to Las Vegas, particularly as you get a little closer to Las Vegas. The last time I flew there, a FA announced that turbulence is a frequent occurrence on this route. It's not horrible turbulence where FA's are asked to be seated. It's just a bumpy ride for a few minutes.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:28 pm

Another way to approach this is to for your sister to look into methods for reducing her fear of turbulence.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
My experience flying in and out of LAS is there is usually a lot of turbulance.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:04 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since this is a multi-state routing question, after its brief layover here am moving to the West forum.

OP, welcome to FlyerTalk!

cblaisd
Senior Moderator
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
I agree with the above posters that there can be quite a bit of turbulence on the approach into LAS. The turbulence comes from two factors, the mountain currents from the hills to the west and the vertical currents from the heating of the desert. Least amount of turbulence is early in the morning when the winds are at their least and the desert heating has not yet begun.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Michael El
My experience flying in and out of LAS is there is usually a lot of turbulence.
I'd characterize it as bumpy rather than turbulent, but it's pretty much guaranteed on approach to LAS.
It's not the teeth-rattling or crockery-smashing kind, just windy.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Try to avoid flights LGB-LAS when the Santa Ana winds are blowing.

I agree with others that desert heating is also a culprit on this route, so if your sister is sensitive, try to avoid summer months as well.

I'd also advocate for the two-stiff-drinks-before-boarding rule for your sister - it sure smooths out the bumps for many people!
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:13 am

I gather you're looking for reassurance, but you're going to get anecdotal evidence. As you would for virtually any route. Turbulence depends on exact conditions on the day, including storm patterns (if any), etc. I assume you'd be on a jet. We flew last year about this time of year PDX-LAS-BUR, with virtually no turbulence on any part of the route (and I do get nervous so I detect it). A few years ago flew ONT-LAS-BWI on a very windy day (on the ground in Ontario, at least) and don't recall much if any in-air turbulence. You may likely get fewer storms in the spring and fall, even summer, than in the winter, but in the summer you can get thermals (hot air) that can cause turbulence. We hit that flying into DFW in August (though it was just a dip). I've flown all over the world and know of few places that I can say consistently have turbulence or not. It depends on the day's conditions. No guarantees. As you can see from above experiences (some say they often hit turbulenceinto our out of LAS, while I never have).

I agree that your sister can work on overcoming her fear, but in the short run if her ultimate destination is Vegas (not beyond) and IF the fear is enough, there are options. She could drive, of course, or even take a bus (Amtrak bus from Union Station or Greyhound from a number of locations). I could quote statistics on the safety of flying vs. driving, and point out that the bus could take 7-8 hours over a boring route, but fear of flying can be difficult to overcome (e.g., why sports commentator John Madden book a bus across the country all the time). One thing you didn't say is whether your sister does fly very often at all.

Last edited by SoCal; Nov 6, 2011 at 7:25 am
Old Nov 6, 2011, 12:44 pm

p.s. she could in fact take Amtrak buses all the way from Long Beach (one bus to Union Station, another to Vegas), and while the total time in a bus seems to be less than on Greyhound, a long layover at Union Station would make for a later arrival in Vegas. Plus costs a tad more. Amtrak states "no checked baggage"; don't know about Greyhound. I've not taken either Amtrak or Greyhound. Too bad there's no train there.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Try to avoid flights LGB-LAS when the Santa Ana winds are blowing.
Good point.

Interesting. I don't recall there being that much turbulence. But I also don't take all that much notice of it. (So maybe I was better off leaving others to answer. )
Old Nov 8, 2011, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by iapetus
Good point.

Interesting. I don't recall there being that much turbulence. But I also don't take all that much notice of it. (So maybe I was better off leaving others to answer. )
Good idea to avoid flying when there are big winds, but maybe not feasible unless sis is buying a last-minute ticket. Can't always predict Santa Ana winds way in advance. One could say avoid certain seasons, but may not be feasible if it's for a specific event. Looks like she'll have to take the risk of possible turbulence (at the very worse still not dangerous, just nerve-wracking to some) or go ahead and plan the much longer car or bus option.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SoCal
Can't always predict Santa Ana winds way in advance.
True. But their presence on a travel day would serve as good warning that turbulent conditions may exist. And Santa Anas (or a lack thereof) might explain why I don't recall much in the way of turbulence on that route.

As far as the unpredictability of turbulence and turbulence-induced anxiety ... well, they make medications for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.