Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

The Narrows (slot-canyon) hike at Zion NP

Old May 23, 2012, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 75K

I haven't seen any threads about this on USA-West, but this hike is definitely worth going to. I recently saw this featured on National Geographic's best hikes: http://adventure.nationalgeographic....-zion-narrows/

It's an amazing slot-canyon hike that you can either do top-down (2 days; requires permit), or a day trip (from bottom-up). You will be hiking in ankle-deep to waist-deep water so a good pair of 5.10 canyoneering shoes will make the hike much more manageable. The views of this hike are truly amazing.

I flew in to Las Vegas (LAS) and it takes about a 3 hour drive to Zion. Some places to stay are either in St. George, Hurricane, Springdale, or Zion NP itself (it gets much more expensive the closer you are to the park). I would recommend the Best Western in Springdale. You can rent all your canyoneering gear in Springdale (ie. Zion Adventure company). There are free shuttles from Springdale to drive you to Zion NP (and free shuttles within the park to get you around the park).
Old May 23, 2012, 7:57 pm

I've wanted to do this. It looks so inviting when you get to where the slot begins. I love Zion. It's more appealing to me than Bryce.

Bobette
Old May 24, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I did this hike several years ago. It is possible to do it top-down in a single day. My companions and I parked our car at the lodge, rode a pre-arranged shuttle from there to the trailhead above the narrows, and hiked 14 miles downriver. At the bottom of the narrows we rode a park shuttle back to the lodge and our car.

While you can rent specialized equipment near the park, this trip generally does not require a lot of it. I did it with a day pack, a waterproof bag, a pair of water shoes, and a hiking pole. The water shoes were the only thing I had to specially purchase for the trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.