Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Passport card not acceptable for alcohol in AZ?

Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

I'm at the Phoenix Roadhouse 66 at PHX and since it's an HMS Host establishment they require ID for alcohol. I presented my passport card (which just got me through TSA) and the server asked me for my passport book. I don't carry my passport book domestically. She said it's a state law, she can't accept a passport card for alcohol.

I tried googling "passport card" alcohol arizona and I get no results

From http://www.azll.com/faq.htm#idforms it says:
What are the acceptable forms of identification?

(1) A driver's license from any state or Canada provided it includes a picture of the licensee, (2) an Arizona identifications card issued by the Motor Vehicle Division, (3) an armed forces identification card, and (4) a valid passport or border crossing identification card issued by a government, or voter card issued by the government of Mexico which contains a photograph of the person and date of birth. ALL MUST BE UNEXPIRED. [A.R.S. 4-241(A)(1 - 4)]
(bolding mine)

Does Arizona really prohibit passport cards for alcohol purchases or is it just HMS Host being stupid? I already complained to HMS Host.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 8:48 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
State law is pretty explicit:
http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument....=4&DocType=ARS

K. The following written instruments are the only acceptable types of identification:

1. An unexpired driver license issued by any state or Canada if the license includes a picture of the licensee.

2. A nonoperating identification license issued pursuant to section 28-3165 or an equivalent form of identification license issued by any state or Canada if the license includes a picture of the person and the person's date of birth.

3. An armed forces identification card.

4. A valid unexpired passport or border crossing identification card that is issued by a government or a voter card that is issued by the government of Mexico if the passport or card contains a photograph of the person and the person's date of birth.
I haven't seen U.S. passport cards, but I assume they have photos and DOBs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.