Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 28, 11, 2:09 pm   #1

Programs: AAdvantage Million Miler, Marriott Platinum
What to do in Reno for a weekend?

Hey all. Not a skier here (live in FL - afraid of snow, that is why I moved )

I have a relative attending college in Reno. Thinking about a weekend up there to see her. Probably fly in Friday. She has classes this term on Fridays. then spend Saturday with her, head home to FL on Sunday. Not long, but all the time I have.

Any suggestions for stuff? Is there something to do at Tahoe, or just hiking and looking at the beauty? Any suggested trails? How about other parts of the Toiyabe National Forest? We are not climbers, just walk/hike.

I am thinking later March 2011 or April. Seems to work fine with her spring break schedule and finals.

Other suggestions for stuff to do? I can always make it a two day on the ground and fly in Thursday late instead.

I am Platinum with Marriott. I will search there for hotel suggestions - of worth the extra distance to stay toward lake Tahoe and drive or closer to Reno and the airport (will be an early flight out Sunday for sure).

Are there places at night where you get away from 'city lights' and see all the stars in the sky - even the really really far away ones?

Museums? Annual events?

Be sure to suggest stuff outside my time frame. She is a freshmen. I will have years to get there and see her.

Thanks - FLgrr
FLgrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 11, 2:14 pm   #2

Programs: AS MVP Gold, One Pass, SPG, Marriot Rewards,Sky Miles, AMEX Miles
If she is new to the area you can at least grab a car and take a tour around the lake. Drive to Truckee and do some shopping.
Could also drive south on 395 and visit Carson City. I don't know what the museum status is there but there was a US mint there in the heydays of silver mining.
Old Jan 29, 11, 3:24 pm   #3

Programs: AAdvantage Million Miler, Marriott Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPat View Post
If she is new to the area you can at least grab a car and take a tour around the lake. Drive to Truckee and do some shopping.
Could also drive south on 395 and visit Carson City. I don't know what the museum status is there but there was a US mint there in the heydays of silver mining.
JPat, do you recommend a specific route to follow and points of interest along the way around lake? Is there a designated 'scenic drive'? Seeing my time, that may be enough to see her at school, drive the lake and have dinner before heading out.
FLgrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 11, 3:36 pm   #4
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
There is a scenic drive, but much of it is closed in the winter and the parts that are open require 4WD with chains (which you are unlikely to have, or want to have if not liking snow). It all depends on the weather, March can be tricky. All the main highways are pretty scenic, so driving 80 to Truckee or 395 to South Lake Tahoe (the latter is preferred and probably an easier drive). Reno is flat, in a desert, but a few miles west there are gorgeous mountains and pine forest as well as the lake.
number_6 is offline   Reply With Quote