Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips for 2009 Presidential inauguration

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Tips for 2009 Presidential inauguration

Did a search for who FT'ers might have written about attending past presidential inauguration - only found a 2009 thread.

Thought i'd start a thread on this historic event:

1. How does one get tickets - did a google search and found two sites selling them already
http://www.greatseats.com/inaugurati...de_tickets.htm
http://www.inauguraltickets.com/

Are there free tickets via your congressmen/women?

2. Places to stay - I'm assuming anything within 100 miles already booked

3. Events to attend

4. Where to go/stand to get a peek of the actual ceremony?

Last edited by dtsm; Nov 5, 2008 at 12:03 pm
Old Nov 5, 2008, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dtsm
Did a search for who FT'ers might have written about attending past presidential inauguration - only found a 2009 thread.

Thought i'd start a thread on this historic event:

1. How does one get tickets - did a google search and found two sites selling them already

Are there free tickets via your congressmen/women?

2. Places to stay - I'm assuming anything within 100 miles already booked

3. Events to attend

4. Where to go/stand to get a peek of the actual ceremony?
I recommend a warm spot in front of your television at home!
There are about 250,000 free tickets given out by the Presidential Inaugural Committee. Of those, some are given to each Senator and Member of Congress, but demand always exceeds supply and this year will be very tough. But contact them anyway, maybe they do a lottery or something.

Without a ticket you're backed up to about 4th Street on the National Mall, easily 1/3 to 1/2 mile from the podium, and large screens are set up there. Even WITH a ticket you can be all the way in the back of the throng, remember it's 250,000 "invited guests".

Getting around town will be a nightmare as parking is out of the question, many streets closed, and "everyone" is thus forced to the Metro system, which often sets ridership records on Inauguration Day.

Hotels may or may not be booked, but they are very pricey if available. You'll just have to see what's out there and realize you're in competition now with the other 1,000,000 + people who have decided in the past 24 hours that they "must" be here for an historic event.

Curious about the "2009 thread" that you found on this topic - how did they enjoy Obama's Inauguration?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Agree with ColumbiaPete's plan. Late January in DC can be miserable without all the people in-town for the inauguration.

I've attended. Thought it was nice for the novelty. Generally avoided it after that.

The tickets you'll get -- even from a Congressman -- are likely to be well back of the stage such that you really won't see anything.

As for a hotel, I'm sure it must be booked but I love the Capitol Hill Suites on 2nd St. SE. Great place.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ColumbiaPete
I recommend a warm spot in front of your television at home!
Without a ticket you're backed up to about 4th Street on the National Mall, easily 1/3 to 1/2 mile from the podium, and large screens are set up there. Even WITH a ticket you can be all the way in the back of the throng, remember it's 250,000 "invited guests".
Besides the actual swearing ceremony, what are the chances of getting a 'decent viewing' spot for the procession prior? Does one need tickets for this?

Originally Posted by ColumbiaPete
Curious about the "2009 thread" that you found on this topic - how did they enjoy Obama's Inauguration?
There was one thread about getting 2009 hotels when I did the search
Old Nov 6, 2008, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

maybe one has to go to alexandria for a hotel room

morrison house in alex has rooms.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
DC is going to be a nightmare b/t the crowds and the security they'll set up all over the place -- expect to not see the actual ceremony other than on a monitor somewhere (find a bar or restaurant after you watch the procession with tv's - much smarter) and you'll be outside standing around and freezing for a long period of time. There is certainly historical significance beyond previous inaugurations, but it's going to be an absolute madhouse.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 3:19 pm

Besides the actual swearing ceremony, what are the chances of getting a 'decent viewing' spot for the procession prior? Does one need tickets for this?

There was one thread about getting 2009 hotels when I did the search
I've been in DC through many inaugurations, and I don't recall much of a procession---there's a motorcade, but it moves quickly---they frown upon the first and second families getting out and walking anywhere. Same goes for the Parade.
There are grandstands for the parade, but if I remember correctly, most are reserved for ticketed VIPS and guests. Any standing space will be six or seven deep by dawn, and then a large mob will push forward once things get started.

I was lucky enough to have a pass for one of the Clinton swearing-ins. Even with it, I was back, back back. Still in that inner Capitol grounds, but even then we had to watch most everything on the TV screens. (that said, I did find myself walking through the gates with James Earl Jones. I have a feeling he was able to get a bit closer to the front ) There was minor security screening then and it caused huge lines, I can only imagine what it'll be like this year.
BTW, I noticed today that they've started prep work along the Capitol steps. They've also fenced off the center of the mall for turf restoration. I'm sure theyll have baricade fences (like they use on the 4th) on the mall day of ---and that you'll have to be screened there, too.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joanek
I've been in DC through many inaugurations, and I don't recall much of a procession---there's a motorcade, but it moves quickly---they frown upon the first and second families getting out and walking anywhere. Same goes for the Parade.
There are grandstands for the parade, but if I remember correctly, most are reserved for ticketed VIPS and guests. Any standing space will be six or seven deep by dawn, and then a large mob will push forward once things get started.

I was lucky enough to have a pass for one of the Clinton swearing-ins. Even with it, I was back, back back. Still in that inner Capitol grounds, but even then we had to watch most everything on the TV screens. (that said, I did find myself walking through the gates with James Earl Jones. I have a feeling he was able to get a bit closer to the front ) There was minor security screening then and it caused huge lines, I can only imagine what it'll be like this year.
BTW, I noticed today that they've started prep work along the Capitol steps. They've also fenced off the center of the mall for turf restoration. I'm sure theyll have baricade fences (like they use on the 4th) on the mall day of ---and that you'll have to be screened there, too.
Don't get me started on the prep for the 4th of July in DC. It used to be a fun event (public drinking, smoking pot, and an all around good party time in DC) - ever since 9/11, it's just a giant security checkpoint.

I was a Boy Scout usher at Clinton's first innaugaration. I recall him actually getting out of his car (much to the chagrin of the secret service) and walking a good portion of the way. As an usher, I had the pleasure of seating Willard Scott and a few other small-time celebs - of course, I did all this while wearing my Class A Boy Scout uniform!
Old Nov 6, 2008, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Buyer beware...

At least one of the official inaugural sites, probably a link from inaugural.senate.gov, says that tickets are available free through your congressperson's office and that NO ONE has any to sell yet...so caveat emptor.
Old Nov 6, 2008, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by lskohn
At least one of the official inaugural sites, probably a link from inaugural.senate.gov, says that tickets are available free through your congressperson's office and that NO ONE has any to sell yet...so caveat emptor.

Some stuff is free---but the balls are all ticketed events. In any case, the free tickets handed out by your reps aren't the ones that'll allow you to see anything....there really isn't much space available for the general public near the swearing in. (and by near, i mean within the same block) Parade seats are sometimes available, however, you still won't be in prime viewing position.

This Washington Post article was written for the '05 event. Expect prices to be many times higher, due to demand.

Last edited by joanek; Nov 6, 2008 at 10:31 pm
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hotels are booked up more and further away than I've ever seen it before. Many are requiring 2, 3, 4, 5 nights or even week long bookings. Prices are sky high. [I ended up getting rooms with points for some guests of mine but that was a tremendous shock to me as I did not expect it to happen yesterday.]

Tickets from Congressman and Senators from far off places relative to DC are more likely to have tickets. Most all will still involve standing up, all exposed to the elements -- so hope for a warm and/or dry day. [If it's wet, you are out of luck, no umbrellas.] Security checks are yet another bottleneck to deal with that day.] It starts getting busy even around 6 a.m. and fills up quickly thereafter. Most people are far away anyway -- so while you may see somethings, you will be relying upon the mega-sized screens around to see the action.

Even after the event is over, you will be moving very, very, very, very slowly to get away and back to wherever you want to get. Forget getting onto the metro anywhere around the viewing area or even well beyond -- you might as well walk back to wherever you need to go or get out of the District somehow and then hop on.

If you haven't been to one before or given the historical significance, don't let this turn you off from attending something that I have never regretted attending no matter where I was that day.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by slawecki
maybe one has to go to alexandria for a hotel room

morrison house in alex has rooms.
Even Baltimore is trying to get in on the action (and has in part).
Old Nov 7, 2008, 6:21 am

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even Baltimore is trying to get in on the action (and has in part).
More than "in part", virtually every hotel in Baltimore is sold out for the dates around the inauguration. The new Hilton downtown still has availability at $449 per night and the Hyatt at $389...airport hotels are gone for the most part, with one Country Inn and Suites showing availability for $299. (ouch!).

This is based on some quick checks of a couple of sites, but it looks like thousands of people are going to make the trek from Baltimore. I even checked sites for Red Roof and Super 8 - no availability for any property within 50 miles of Washington DC...this is going to be huge.

Glad I'm leaving town.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you really want to come, and do not yet have a room,

plan a: find a friend in dc area.

plan B: use google and find the motels in the forgotten part of the world that do not have internet booking. indian head, la plata, and waldorf md for a shot.

plan c: make me an offer i cannot refuse to rent one of my finest rooms with excellent view.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If you haven't been to one before or given the historical significance, don't let this turn you off from attending something that I have never regretted attending no matter where I was that day.
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I've got a place to stay, college classmate who actually is relatively senior guy in state dept.

Notwithstanding all the hassles that will occur, given the historical significance,I'm pretty sure of making this event by myself and hopefully my younger son (22 yrs old) will join to keep dad company. We will have wet/cold weather clothes and prepare for the worst

Last edited by dtsm; Nov 7, 2008 at 9:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.