Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:01 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
IAD layover - day rooms

Tried searching, but it wont work

In feb, I got a long layover 9am-6pm layover in IAD, and was looking to grab a shower mainly. I called up Hilton, hyatt, and mariott, but they want 130$+ for a day room Any thing more affordable or practical?
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If I have a long layover, I try and search out a gym/ hotel with gym/sports club/leisure center that I can use for a few hours or on a day pass. Takes care of my ablutions, stores my luggage in a locker, often has free WIFI and gets me out of the airport.

Never done it in DC though.....
Old Nov 11, 2006, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by ivoryboi
If I have a long layover, I try and search out a gym/ hotel with gym/sports club/leisure center that I can use for a few hours or on a day pass.
One of the Dulles hotels has a gym which you used to be able to purchase a pass for, I think it was either the Hyatt or the Hilton. Last time I heard about it was 2-3 years ago so I'm not sure if they still offer it.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by langleyoaker
One of the Dulles hotels has a gym which you used to be able to purchase a pass for, I think it was either the Hyatt or the Hilton. Last time I heard about it was 2-3 years ago so I'm not sure if they still offer it.
Could do that. With almost 9hr layover, a day room would be nice, but I can always sleep in the RCC
Old Nov 11, 2006, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
There are a lot of smaller less expensive hotels around Dulles, like Fairfield Inns, Hampton Inns, etc.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redburgundy
There are a lot of smaller less expensive hotels around Dulles, like Fairfield Inns, Hampton Inns, etc.
and got day rooms? I was thinking about priceline a room, but with 1200pm checkout, it wont work.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jason8612
and got day rooms? I was thinking about priceline a room, but with 1200pm checkout, it wont work.

Book for the same evening you arrive and you can likely check in early. Maybe a cheap motel +rental car would be under $100?
Old Nov 11, 2006, 5:47 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Priceline a room near IAD for $40.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:02 pm

Take a taxi or shuttle bus to the Herndon Marriott at Worldgate -- right next door is a huge sports club at Worldgate -- you can get a day pass, and there's a large pool, all kinds of workout equipment, running track, basketball, racquetball, etc. Also a sauna and jacuzzi. Spa services, but you probably have to reserve in advance for that. I'm sure they won't mind if you take a nap on the lounge chair by the pool!

I used it once, when I had a redeye into Dulles, and I wanted a workout before business in Reston. Indeed, I returned at the end of the day for another workout and to relax before heading in to D.C. I would definitely use it again if I had a full day out there.

Worldgate Sport & Health Club
13037 Worldgate Dr
Herndon, VA 20170
(703) 709-9100
www.sportandhealth.com
Old Nov 11, 2006, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

health club would be good. A good way to unwind and relax in the jacuzzi. Sleep shouldnt be a problem. Hopefully with the read eye from LAX in C, I should get some sleep, and later that evening in C to FRA. At worse, ill hop into a RCC and catch a hour or so of sleep.
Was it crowded?
Old Nov 11, 2006, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
You could priceline a hotel for 2 days. In the 2* category maybe a $30 bid per day? I have no idea, just guessing.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 8:08 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Moving to the WAS forum, thanks.

cblaisd
Moderator, United
Old Nov 19, 2006, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by langleyoaker
The Hyatt Regency at Reston has a nice but small pool. Definitely one of the better IAD hotels.

Also the Hilton Washington Dulles has a huge gym, it is on Rte 28 about 5-7mins drive from the airport, close to the Udvar-Hazy Center.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
In feb, I got a long layover 9am-6pm layover in IAD, and was looking to grab a shower mainly.
Holiday Inn in Sterling VA has day rates and can be arranged through their front desk (1-703-471-7411). Also a free shuttle to/from IAD. Not as fancy as Hyatt-Hilton, but likely lots less expesive.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Hmm,
Thanks everyone for your help, but with the schedule change, im in JFK now from 6am to 2pm, and would want to figure out something there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.