FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-atlantic-453/)
-   -   IAD layover - day rooms (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-atlantic/623707-iad-layover-day-rooms.html)

jason8612 Nov 11, 2006 2:01 pm

IAD layover - day rooms

Tried searching, but it wont work

In feb, I got a long layover 9am-6pm layover in IAD, and was looking to grab a shower mainly. I called up Hilton, hyatt, and mariott, but they want 130$+ for a day room :eek: Any thing more affordable or practical?

ivoryboi Nov 11, 2006 2:09 pm

If I have a long layover, I try and search out a gym/ hotel with gym/sports club/leisure center that I can use for a few hours or on a day pass. Takes care of my ablutions, stores my luggage in a locker, often has free WIFI and gets me out of the airport.

Never done it in DC though.....

langleyoaker Nov 11, 2006 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by ivoryboi
If I have a long layover, I try and search out a gym/ hotel with gym/sports club/leisure center that I can use for a few hours or on a day pass.

One of the Dulles hotels has a gym which you used to be able to purchase a pass for, I think it was either the Hyatt or the Hilton. Last time I heard about it was 2-3 years ago so I'm not sure if they still offer it.

jason8612 Nov 11, 2006 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by langleyoaker
One of the Dulles hotels has a gym which you used to be able to purchase a pass for, I think it was either the Hyatt or the Hilton. Last time I heard about it was 2-3 years ago so I'm not sure if they still offer it.

Could do that. With almost 9hr layover, a day room would be nice, but I can always sleep in the RCC :)

redburgundy Nov 11, 2006 4:13 pm

There are a lot of smaller less expensive hotels around Dulles, like Fairfield Inns, Hampton Inns, etc.

jason8612 Nov 11, 2006 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by redburgundy
There are a lot of smaller less expensive hotels around Dulles, like Fairfield Inns, Hampton Inns, etc.

and got day rooms? I was thinking about priceline a room, but with 1200pm checkout, it wont work.

ivoryboi Nov 11, 2006 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
and got day rooms? I was thinking about priceline a room, but with 1200pm checkout, it wont work.

Book for the same evening you arrive and you can likely check in early. Maybe a cheap motel +rental car would be under $100?

MileageAddict Nov 11, 2006 5:47 pm

Priceline a room near IAD for $40.

AndyPatterson Nov 11, 2006 6:02 pm

Take a taxi or shuttle bus to the Herndon Marriott at Worldgate -- right next door is a huge sports club at Worldgate -- you can get a day pass, and there's a large pool, all kinds of workout equipment, running track, basketball, racquetball, etc. Also a sauna and jacuzzi. Spa services, but you probably have to reserve in advance for that. I'm sure they won't mind if you take a nap on the lounge chair by the pool!

I used it once, when I had a redeye into Dulles, and I wanted a workout before business in Reston. Indeed, I returned at the end of the day for another workout and to relax before heading in to D.C. I would definitely use it again if I had a full day out there.

Worldgate Sport & Health Club
13037 Worldgate Dr
Herndon, VA 20170
(703) 709-9100
www.sportandhealth.com

jason8612 Nov 11, 2006 7:33 pm

health club would be good. A good way to unwind and relax in the jacuzzi. Sleep shouldnt be a problem. Hopefully with the read eye from LAX in C, I should get some sleep, and later that evening in C to FRA. At worse, ill hop into a RCC and catch a hour or so of sleep.
Was it crowded?

gnaget Nov 11, 2006 8:00 pm

You could priceline a hotel for 2 days. In the 2* category maybe a $30 bid per day? I have no idea, just guessing.

cblaisd Nov 11, 2006 8:08 pm

Moving to the WAS forum, thanks.

cblaisd
Moderator, United

Fraser Nov 19, 2006 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by langleyoaker

The Hyatt Regency at Reston has a nice but small pool. Definitely one of the better IAD hotels.

Also the Hilton Washington Dulles has a huge gym, it is on Rte 28 about 5-7mins drive from the airport, close to the Udvar-Hazy Center.

2shy2conga Nov 28, 2006 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
In feb, I got a long layover 9am-6pm layover in IAD, and was looking to grab a shower mainly.

Holiday Inn in Sterling VA has day rates and can be arranged through their front desk (1-703-471-7411). Also a free shuttle to/from IAD. Not as fancy as Hyatt-Hilton, but likely lots less expesive.

jason8612 Nov 28, 2006 4:48 pm

Hmm,
Thanks everyone for your help, but with the schedule change, im in JFK now from 6am to 2pm, and would want to figure out something there.