Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in DC for 10th anniversary in DC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

We are going to DC in mid Sept for two reasons. One is our 10th wedding anniversary and the 2nd is an interment at Arlington.

We normally stay at Hilton, but the only one that is appealing is the Capital Hilton. We want something a bit more special as that one seems to be more business oriented?

I checked out the Renaissance and they had a FAB package called International Dining. You get a car service to take you to a nice restaurant and Champagne and fruit/cheese tray in your room. Unfortunately, it expires before our anniversary. That would have been PERFECT for us.

We are foodies and we really like trying new restaurants. We would like to try something more fancy than normal given the special occasion.

I checked some hotels in Arlington, which seem to be close to where we need to be for the internment. One of them, the Marriot Crystal Gateway for proximity to metro. There is Hyatt and Westin in around there, too. Any reccos?

Also, great places to eat. WE like international, we like wine bars. This is a special occasion, so we want to something a bit above what we normally do.

We will not have a car, so we will either metro or taxi everywhere.

ETA: We checked the Georgetown Hotels and got major sticker shock. Four Seasons was $1500 per night.. a tad out of our budget. We are looking for under $500 per night, preferably under $400 which is why I started looking in Arlington.

Last edited by sparksals; Sep 2, 2014 at 10:31 am
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:57 pm
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card

I am a former dc native so I am biased in saying don't stay in Arlington.

I would focus on penn quarter if you want food / wine as there are lots of great options including Proof and most of the Jose Garces empire (Zaytinya is a particular favorite of ours)

For hotel options there is the W, the jw marriott, the Willard. There is a hotel monaco right in the immediate area and several more options if you want to venture a few blocks further.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Spent Easter/Mom's birthday at The Ritz in Georgetown...loved it.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I've stayed at the W -room and lobby bar were good as was location. The roof bar has great views of the White House - I had issue as guest not being able to get into rooftop restaurant for lunch despite empty "reserved" tables. this was (hopefully resolved) ongoing issue for many guests
The Monaco is a few blocks away and Kimpton has many hotels in DC (friends like The George in Georgetown).
We liked the Founding Farmers for brunch and Le Diplomat for dinner (which is based on Parc in Philly)
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sparksals
Marriot
includes two ritz carltons
Hyatt
includes park hyatt
Westin
starwood includes st regis and w

José Andrés also has new restaurant at ritz carlton tysons, thought it was pretty good, and tysons now has metro
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:43 pm

I trust you are going to Arlington for a interment and not an internment. They did away with those camps after WW II.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:51 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by bdohmen
I am a former dc native so I am biased in saying don't stay in Arlington.

I would focus on penn quarter if you want food / wine as there are lots of great options including Proof and most of the Jose Garces empire (Zaytinya is a particular favorite of ours)

For hotel options there is the W, the jw marriott, the Willard. There is a hotel monaco right in the immediate area and several more options if you want to venture a few blocks further.
Jose Andres...I would stay at the Park Hyatt DC personally, If the W is your style, personally I feel myself staying at Park Hyatt properties over W's. For dinner I loved Cityzen, but haven't been in years, you can also try Minibar, again haven't been in a while.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Call the Renaissance ans see if they will extend the package for you. Never hurts to ask.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by gungadin
Call the Renaissance ans see if they will extend the package for you. Never hurts to ask.
Or just get a fruit and cheese tray from room service and use Uber at any area hotel. You'll probably come out ahead in $$$ or for the same price, you could stay in a nicer hotel...

Having stayed at the W when our AC went out last summer, I don't recommend it -- tiny rooms, dirty hallways, and they care more about non guests than guests.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:40 pm
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2

Jose Andres...
We have clearly been out of DC for too long!

Agree minibar is great though takes some planning to get into. Cityzen is also quite good though the menu always seemed lost to me. Ceiba is also a great option.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage; Carlson Goldpoints.
If you're still interested in Crystal City hotels due to proximity to the Metro, know this:

There are two distinct Marriot hotels in Crystal City,
(a) the Marriot Crystal Gateway, as you mention, and a separate named
(b) Marriot Crystal City.

Both connect directly through the underground shops to the Crystal City Metro station. I have never stayed at the Crystal Gateway hotel, but I have stayed at the Marriot Crystal City hotel several times, and enjoy it a lot.

Prices at either can be a bit higher or lower than the other on any given day, so check both.

As far as dinner goes, many "standard" places within walking distance: Morton's, Ruth Chris, Legal Seafood, McCormick and Schmidt's, etc., etc.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:42 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread as it is moved to the Washington, D.C. Forum.
Thanks....Obscure2K
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:00 pm

I recommend Rasika:
http://www.rasikarestaurant.com/
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Hay-Adams

St. Regis

or

the Willard.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sactoflyer
I trust you are going to Arlington for a interment and not an internment. They did away with those camps after WW II.
Yes, that was an unfortunate mistake due to auto correct. I have corrected my OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.