Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight out of DCA: Park and take metro vs Driving to airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Hey all. I have a flight out of DCA on the Friday of labor day weekend at 5:48pm on Frontier. I'm driving up from Richmond and want to know if you think it's easier/quicker to try to park at Huntington and take the metro to the airport or if I should just drive all the way to the airport and park there.

The plan is to leave Richmond around 2:00pm and hopefully be at DCA by 4:00 to 4:30. Is that enough time?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
it really depends on how ugly the traffic is on northbound 95 and eastbound 495; since the express lanes will be operating south, I would expect a lot of congestion starting around Woodbridge if not sooner

you can get to Huntington fairly easily via US 1 and Mount Vernon Parkway (you have to jump off 95 in the Lorton/Ft Belvoir area); the inbound trip from Huntington via the Yellow Line takes about 10 min, and the trains operate on a 6-min headway

the Franconia/Springfield Metro station is much more accessible from 95; however, the Blue Line is a ~20-min trip, and those trains only run at 12-minute intervals

here's some info on the limited long-term parking at either station ... if you're not planning to return before Tues, you risk crossing paths with Metro parking enforcement
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i would appreciate a report on your travels. in my opinion, you are a day late, and a dollar short. nb. i think you take the tube from hunnington. i think you miss the plane.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I think that you'll miss the plane if you leave from Richmond at 2pm.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

You need more time to get to DCA from Richmond. Also, you'll be going against the flow of traffic on I-395; but would hit traffic on the Beltway if you chose to drive over to Huntington. Best bet is to drive up 395 and park at DCA.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:22 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread as I move it to the Washington, D.C. Forum.
thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, CBP Global Entry, Hertz Five Star
I would leave no later than noon and park in the Economy lot at DCA. If it is full (which is very possible) park in the daily garage.

Here's why...

- Traffic between Richmond and DC on I-95 is completely unpredictable and can be horrific (especially Friday-Sunday). With the construction on the express lanes, hour-long+ delays are very common - in both directions.
- If you miss this flight, you are totally screwed. It is the last flight to DEN on Friday and there is no guarantee you will get on another flight out of DCA for the rest of the weekend.

You got a cheap fare. Don't chance ruining it.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ninroot
The plan is to leave Richmond around 2:00pm and hopefully be at DCA by 4:00 to 4:30. Is that enough time?
No. You want to get to the Huntington parking structure by 330p, which on the Friday of a Labor Day weekend means leaving Richmond by 1200p or 1230p and praying you don't roll to a stop around Potomac Mills. If you don't look like making Huntington by 330p, scrub that plan and head straight for DCA.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:40 am
Original Poster

So the consensus sounds like is to leave earlier than 2pm. I thought going to huntington would cut out some of the traffic and actually be quicker, but I guess I was wrong about that? It's faster to go straight to DCA? If I'm driving straight to DCA, would I still need to leave by noon light a few people are suggesting or can I push it more to 1pm?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ninroot
So the consensus sounds like is to leave earlier than 2pm. I thought going to huntington would cut out some of the traffic and actually be quicker, but I guess I was wrong about that? It's faster to go straight to DCA? If I'm driving straight to DCA, would I still need to leave by noon light a few people are suggesting or can I push it more to 1pm?
It will take you 20-30 minutes to get off I-95, maneuver through traffic to Huntington Metro, find a space, hike to the Metro platform, and await a Yellow Line train departure. (Add 10 minutes' hiking time between the DCA Metro platform and faraway Terminal A.)

It will also take you 20-30 minutes to get off I-95 and jog over to Route 1 / GW Parkway, drive out to the furthest reaches of the DCA economy parking lot, wait for a shuttle bus to come get you, roam the airport acreage for awhile, and finally drop you at Terminal A.

Equal time sink if you ask me.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
yes, by parking @Huntington and taking the Metro you will likely avoid some traffic issues inside the Beltway (495)

the real problem for a RIC-WAS trip on a Fri afternoon will occur in the 25-30 miles from Stafford/Quantico to 495 ... on a normal afternoon this can easily be 40-45 min, but on Fri of a holiday weekend it is very likely to exceed an hour

I'd guess that if you leave RIC at noon you should easily get to Huntington by 3 or DCA by 330; however, if you delay until 1 you might be lucky to get to DCA by 5

be aware also that the parking lots at DCA tend to fill up fairly quickly on Labor Day weekend ... you might want to think about snagging parking at a hotel with airport shuttle service; here's one resource that I have used for the past couple years http://www.airportparkingreservations.com/
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Have you considered taking Amtrak to Alexandria and then taking metro from Alexandria (King Street) to DCA?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:18 pm

If it were me I'd leave in the morning, arrive at DCA waaay ahead of time. Why even remotely risk missing a flight? As others have pointed out, you never can predict long drives.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by klevin99
If it were me I'd leave in the morning, arrive at DCA waaay ahead of time. Why even remotely risk missing a flight? As others have pointed out, you never can predict long drives.
Yes; this is the best idea. Drive up to Alexandria and have lunch in Old Town and take a walk along the river/visit a museum/etc. Alternatively get to the airport early and take the yellow line metro to the National Mall and hit a Smithsonian museum.

Or do something in the vicinity like the 9/11 Memorial at the Pentagon or even shopping if you need stuff (e.g., Pentagon City mall)
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: UA *G MM
People tend to exaggerate traffic issues. But first of all you would not go via 495 and 1 if you drive directly. You would take 395 to Glebe. The traffic that you will suffer is in the exurban parts around Woodbridge. Once you get on 395 then there should be no traffic.

I would add 30 min to your plan to be safe.

Going to Huntington would only be done to try to save money. It is going to add some time. You might hit traffic on 495 to go to Huntington, but it is not so far. But there is only like 15 spots there for long term parking.

However, garages can fill up at DCA. I have no idea about Labor Day; here I guess the economy lot might fill up. I experienced that the B/C parking filled up and I had to park at A. That was several years ago. I think you can find parking info online, or even call them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.