Reload this Page >

IAD immigration wait times?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD immigration wait times?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Annandaler
I assume you are arriving on UA988 from FRA. "Exiting" might save you time at TSA since they have Pre-Check in the Main Terminal TSA checkpoint. But that would entail a lot more ground movement at IAD to and from the Mai Terminal. Not recommended.

A side note is that two more GE kiosks just arrived in the mid-field Customs facility. They were still in crates today, but expected to be installed next week. That will give a total of 10 kiosks in that Customs facility.
Thanks. Hit it right. First at GE kiosks and 2 minutes at TSA!
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Global Entry kiosks at IAD:
Mid-Field Customs has 8 machines
Main Terminal Customs has 18 machines.

By the way, the reliability of the machines has improved dramatically over time. When first installed, it was common to see 20-30% of them out of service at any time. Today, it is exceedingly rare to see even one machine out of service.
GE IAD mid-field took me 20 minutes one day last year. Only BOS has been slower for me as GE. But the BOS issues were somewhat different than the IAD ones, as my IAD arrivals seem to have a much higher proportion of GE passengers than my other US POE arrivals. A few more kiosks should help, but IAD GE at mid-field will likely continue to hold the record for my longest GE wait time at any POE in the US.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm arriving at IAD from DXB in a few days. Flight arrives 6:30am and looks like it's only about the 2nd UA flight for the day. Non-Citizen (ie, "Visitor" queue), but I do normally get Pre, and my plan was to head to the BA lounge in terminal A (via Priority pass) before my connecting UA flight.

Does it make more sense to head to Midfield, or to the main terminal? I'm presuming midfield will be reasonable at ~6:30am, especially given that I'll be up the front of the plane? Carry-on only, so no issues there.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by docbert
I'm arriving at IAD from DXB in a few days. Flight arrives 6:30am and looks like it's only about the 2nd UA flight for the day. Non-Citizen (ie, "Visitor" queue), but I do normally get Pre, and my plan was to head to the BA lounge in terminal A (via Priority pass) before my connecting UA flight.

Does it make more sense to head to Midfield, or to the main terminal? I'm presuming midfield will be reasonable at ~6:30am, especially given that I'll be up the front of the plane? Carry-on only, so no issues there.
Bear in mind that from what I can find on the interweb, the BA lounge doesn't open until 2:30pm.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Bear in mind that from what I can find on the interweb, the BA lounge doesn't open until 2:30pm.
It's open from 7am to 2pm for Priority Pass holders and a few other airlines flights, and then re-opens later for BA passengers with no PP allowed.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
It's open from 7am to 2pm for Priority Pass holders and a few other airlines flights, and then re-opens later for BA passengers with no PP allowed.
Thanks, docbert. I was unaware of that.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: Dulles Airport Traveler's Aid Volunteer, hopefully future United IK member
Doc,

What time is your connecting flight? Even though there is no precheck line at the Midfield, I would go through Midfield during that time period. The lines in the morning at IAD could be completely backed up at that time. I am not sure if South African lets transfer passengers do midfield so you could be one of the only 3 flights in midfield( GRU, KWI and DXB). Prob half or even more will go to Main Term due to DC being their last destination. Since you won't have any checked luggage, I would say it would maybe 15-20 minutes from entering customs/ immigrations to being at C7( where you enter from leaving the area). Walk to C14, take train 3 spots to the B concourse and then enter the British Lounge.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by JacobVB27
I am not sure if South African lets transfer passengers do midfield so you could be one of the only 3 flights in midfield( GRU, KWI and DXB).
Passengers making connections at Dulles from both South African (SA207) and Ethiopian (ET500) are directed to the mid-field CBP facility.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:48 pm

I am considering the following connection at IAD:
-- arrive by Qatar Airways from Doha at 3:25 PM, connect to an American Airlines flight at 5:25 PM (single PNR/ticket).
-- US citizen, no Global Entry, with one checked bag, business class.
-- Monday, mid to late June.

Is this a "safely doable" connection?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:22 pm

I'm arriving at IAD from DXB in a few days. Flight arrives 6:30am and looks like it's only about the 2nd UA flight for the day.
Well, turns out my question was for naught. An over 5 hour delay meant that my flight arrived just before midday, which is apparently a completely dead time for midfield immigration. I was first into the non-Citizen line, and less than 10 minutes after the plane door opened I was through both immigration and security and into terminal C.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by raghu
I am considering the following connection at IAD:
-- arrive by Qatar Airways from Doha at 3:25 PM, connect to an American Airlines flight at 5:25 PM (single PNR/ticket).
-- US citizen, no Global Entry, with one checked bag, business class.
-- Monday, mid to late June.

Is this a "safely doable" connection?
Thanks in advance for any help.
That's a tough one... You are arriving at about the busiest time of the day in the Main Terminal CBP facility. There can be long lines to get to the APC machines; another line for a quick check/stamp of your APC receipt; possible wait for checked bag; another line at the CBP checkpoint where your APC receipt is collected. And then you have to get through TSA security in the Main Terminal (do you have Pre-Check?) before taking the AeroTrain to the B Concourse for your AA flight.

PM is you have further questions.

Last edited by Annandaler; May 1, 2015 at 4:12 pm
Old May 14, 2015, 10:54 am

This looks to be the place to ask and I've never transited through IAD before.

Arriving SA 207 at 06:25 on a Saturday morning, leaving on UA 282 at 08:15, so just under 2 hours.

Me and a 4 year old. Only carry on luggage will be a backpack, no strollers or car seats or anything that will hold us up. (ETA: we will have checked bags)

Are we looking at any significant hold ups at immigration at that time?
Old May 15, 2015, 3:29 pm

You didn't include whether you are US Citizen, Green Card holder, etc. You didn't mention whether you have Global Entry into the US.

Regardless, this should work for you if the SA flight arrives ontime. On arrival at IAD, be sure to get on the Mobile Lounge for TRANSFER passengers - that takes you to the CBP facility in the C Concourse.
(If you get on the Mobile Lounge for ARRIVALS you will be taken to the CBP facility in the Main Terminal - which is NOT where your checked bags will be waiting. That will surely mess up your connection.)
Old May 15, 2015, 4:43 pm

You didn't include whether you are US Citizen, Green Card holder, etc. You didn't mention whether you have Global Entry into the US.

Regardless, this should work for you if the SA flight arrives ontime. On arrival at IAD, be sure to get on the Mobile Lounge for TRANSFER passengers - that takes you to the CBP facility in the C Concourse.
(If you get on the Mobile Lounge for ARRIVALS you will be taken to the CBP facility in the Main Terminal - which is NOT where your checked bags will be waiting. That will surely mess up your connection.)
Oh Shoot! You're right! I'm sorry.

US citizens, no Global Entry.
Old May 16, 2015, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by CBear
US citizens, no Global Entry.
Again, be sure to follow the TRANSFER sign when getting on the Mobile Lounge after deplaning at IAD. Once inside the CBP facility, follow the signs for US CITIZENS which lead you to the new APC (Automated Passport Control) kiosks, where you will scan your passports, have your picture taken, answer four customs questions, and get a printed receipt for each of you. After a CBP officer stamps those receipts you pickup your checked bags (there are free baggage carts if needed); head for the exit where another CBP officer will collect those APC receipts; drop your checked bags on the re-check belt; go through TSA security (there is no Pre-Check here); go upstairs into the C Concourse across from gate C7. Check the gate for your connecting flight and head for the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.