Wiki Posts
Search

IAD - Z gates to D gates?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US, HH
IAD - Z gates to D gates?

Is getting into IAD at the Z gates on US and then connecting to an international UA flight in the D gates fairly straightforward?

From what I can gather on the terminal map for Dulles, I can walk to A and get a people mover to D or I can take a train from Z to C and walk to D. Which would be more predictable in terms of time? The itin I have on hold right now has a 2-hr layover. Not sure if carry-ons will need to be gate (valet) checked but if so will have to wait for that too.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Moving this over to the Washington, DC forum here on Flyertalk...where it seems there's already several threads which discuss getting around IAD.

Thanks!

aztimm
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In order of preference:
1. People mover to D
2. Train to C, walk to D (this is a haul because the C train stops where C will be in 15 years, not where it is now).

#1 will take you a max of 10 minutes (presuming you just miss a people mover and it's a 5-minute wait for the next one).
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US, HH
Thanks, good to know this up front.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Just to clarify - you don't need to walk over to the A terminal to catch a people mover to the D gates. Once you leave the Z gates (which are connected to the main terminal) you can catch a people mover over to D right outside.

To be honest, you're probably looking at about equal times - I can't imagine one taking more than 5 min or so longer than the other depending on how lucky you get with your timing of catching the next shuttle or train..
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Z gates are pretty much the only reason why I bother with IAD - literally at the main terminal
Old Mar 15, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by Often1
In order of preference:
1. People mover to D
+1 for this answer.

After you enter the building at any Z gate, turn left in the corridor. At the end of the corridor you will come to a Dunkin Donuts. Turn left at the Dunkin Donuts and go up a short escalator/stairs to the Mobile Lounge dock, and take the next one to the D gates - they typically leave about 5 minutes apart (at very quiet times during the day it can be as much as 8 minutes).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.