Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Immigration clearance at IAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL UA
SAS Immigration clearance at IAD

I came into IAD Saturday morning from Sao Paolo . I had 1 hour and 35 minutes between that flight and my connection. it was UA metal and immigration was at the midfield site. The immigration and customs part was only about 15-20 minutes ( and checked luggae was all off loaded when we cleared immigration) but they had all of 2 security lanes open and flights from Dakar, Sao Paolo and I think Kuwait all landing within about 20 minutes of each other. I was one of the first 30 people off my flight and it took north of 35 minutes to get through the security point. I then had to go to A5 for the connection and made it by the skin off my teeth.
So, I am going to be coming through IAD again on Good Friday with 1 hour and 40 minutes to connect( to GSO). My inbound flight is SAS 925 scheduled to land at 16.15. Does anyone know if these clear at the main building still ( it has been awhile since I took this routing) and if so, how is security at 17h ( ish) and is it easier to get to the A gates from this location than from the midfield?
Sorry, I realize several questions in here but I am wondering if I should just pay the $300 change fee and fly back to RDU which has a 3 hour layover.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: United MP
Last year I came in on that flight and cleared in the main terminal, but I was not connecting to another flight.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Yup it will be at main terminal (technically IAB), since SK comes in at B. Unfortunately afternoons are rush hour, with lots of Euroipe arrivals. In part it depends if your flight is right behind others or just ahead.

1:40 is a lot of time though, so you should be OK.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL UA
Thanks- I am hoping! If we clear in the main terminal then I have a lot more hope!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
You realize that if you don't tell them you're connecting, even at midfield, you can just get on the "destination washington" mobile lounge and then clear in main terminal? (If you don't check bags)
Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:56 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Yup it will be at main terminal (technically IAB), since SK comes in at B. Unfortunately afternoons are rush hour, with lots of Euroipe arrivals. In part it depends if your flight is right behind others or just ahead.
Wrong! SK (like most *A international arrivals that use the A/B gates) directs connecting ("TRANSFER") passengers to the mid-field customs facility. If you have checked bags, you must go there to personally bring your checked bags through Customs - if you go to IAB and your bags go to mid-field customs, it will take several hours for your airline to clear your bags through Customs and re-unite them with you.

As another post mentioned, if you don't have checked bags you can go to either Customs facility. But IAB in mid-afternoon can be very busy. ALL passengers from ALL non-*A international arrivals go to IAB (e.g. AF, VS, KL, QR, BA). After IAB Customs processing, you still have to go through TSA screening and take some transportation to your connecting flight's concourse.

1 hour 40 minutes could be very tight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.