Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there an airside shuttle at DCA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Is there an airside shuttle at DCA?

I may be traveling through DCA this summer. The first flight operated by US Airways, second operated by United, and will probably have to get to the other gates in terminal C. When I was last at DCA I recall a shuttle bus that took you to the other side. Is it still there? If so does anyone know the gates it operates from? I think one of the gates is 36 if I remember correctly? Do you have to request it? I'm just trying to figure things out because I've never had a connecting flight alone and I don't want to get lost, or have to go through security twice, for that matter (I'm 17)
Old Dec 28, 2010, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by danglesmcnasty
I may be traveling through DCA this summer. The first flight operated by US Airways, second operated by United, and will probably have to get to the other gates in terminal C. When I was last at DCA I recall a shuttle bus that took you to the other side. Is it still there? If so does anyone know the gates it operates from? I think one of the gates is 36 if I remember correctly? Do you have to request it? I'm just trying to figure things out because I've never had a connecting flight alone and I don't want to get lost, or have to go through security twice, for that matter (I'm 17)
Most likely you'll have the arriving and departing flights on different piers within DCA. The area where the two airlines operate is not too large, so you should be okay. There is not a shuttle and you will have to exit security, walk to the other pier and then go through security again. It's not a big deal just follow the signs.

Look at the link below, it shows that US flights are at gates 35-45 and gates 23-34 is where the UA flights are located. You'd follow the signs to leave the gate area where you arrive, then turn left and follow signs for the gates 23-34 where the UA gates are located and re-enter security there.

http://www.metwashairports.com/reagan/1325.htm
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:18 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I've never used it, but there often is a shuttle between the north and central piers. I say "often" because I think it may not always run. If it's running, it'll go between the gates closer to the main corridor. In any event, exiting and going back through security isn't a big deal.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 7:54 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Most likely you'll have the arriving and departing flights on different piers within DCA. The area where the two airlines operate is not too large, so you should be okay. There is not a shuttle and you will have to exit security, walk to the other pier and then go through security again. It's not a big deal just follow the signs.
Actually, there is a shuttle. I've never taken it but US Air makes announcements about their shuttle between the two piers of the C concourse about every 45 seconds whenever I fly out of DCA. It runs between gates 36 and 25.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by EricH
I've never used it, but there often is a shuttle between the north and central piers. I say "often" because I think it may not always run. If it's running, it'll go between the gates closer to the main corridor. In any event, exiting and going back through security isn't a big deal.
I connect through there a lot, and that shuttle does indeed have poor reliability.

Including the one time it was "closed for maintenance", but looking out the window, it was clear that the "maintenance" was "drivers on lunch break". Once they finishing eating, the shuttle resumed. By that point I had left and reentered security. Generally, that's pretty smooth at DCA, but I've had times where that wasn't really an option due to lines.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:33 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by mhnadel
Actually, there is a shuttle. ... US Air makes announcements about their shuttle between the two piers of the C
concourse about every 45 seconds whenever I fly out of DCA.
It runs between gates 36 and 25.
Troof. Interestingly, yesterday, the announcements meant for
the other pier were being piped into 36-45, with pax there
wandering around dazedly looking for gate 25.

I've had decent luck with it over the years (there was a day
when RCC members couldn't use the USAC, so the shuttle
was very handy).
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, there is an airside shuttle (and has been for over three years) between the north (US exclusively) and Central (UA, some US and some others). It operates during times when there are connecting flights. Is less than a minute between piers and they are very acommodating about making special runs for tight connections.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Often1
Yes, there is an airside shuttle (and has been for over three years) between the north (US exclusively) and Central (UA, some US and some others). It operates during times when there are connecting flights. Is less than a minute between piers and they are very acommodating about making special runs for tight connections.
There is a shuttle between the north and middle piers. Its operated by US.

The middle pier is US, UA, and AA.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by EricH
In any event, exiting and going back through security isn't a big deal.
Don't say that in the Travel Safety/Security Forum.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:58 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Hi all! I am making a connection from Continetal Express to United this Saturday at DCA.

In addition to the shuttle discussed above connecting the US gates to the UA gates, is there another shuttle that connects the CO gates (at the pier with gates 10-22) to the UA gates (which is referred to above as the "middle pier")?

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Hi all! I am making a connection from Continetal Express to United this Saturday at DCA.

In addition to the shuttle discussed above connecting the US gates to the UA gates, is there another shuttle that connects the CO gates (at the pier with gates 10-22) to the UA gates (which is referred to above as the "middle pier")?

Thanks!
No, there's just the one shuttle that connects the other two piers; no shuttle between the CO gates and the UA gates.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mhnadel
Actually, there is a shuttle. I've never taken it but US Air makes announcements about their shuttle between the two piers of the C concourse about every 45 seconds whenever I fly out of DCA. It runs between gates 36 and 25.
I've taken that shuttle a number times, but only when I'm not paying attention and I go through security at the wrong bay. The shuttle bus goes from gate 25 in the middle bay to gate 34 in the north bay. I think they leave every 10 minutes or so and the actually bus trip is something like 2-3 minutes.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by danglesmcnasty
As others have mentioned, there is a shuttle between the 2 piers that US operates out of (one of which is where UA operates too). However in the near future the DCA PMUA gates will be moving to the the DL/CO gate area which is not served by the shuttle. If this happens before your trip, you will need to exit security and re-enter for your US flight.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:51 pm

I should know this, but I haven't flown out of A since CO closed the club there a decade or so ago.

I'm flying the new DCA-AUS SWA flight next week, it leaves out of A. I'd love to hang in the UA Club in B before the flight, as I doubt there's anything in A except hard chairs at the gates. Is it possible to get from B to A without having to go through security again at the A gates? No priority lines of any kind there, so I'm expecting it to be a zoo.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no shuttle A-B the last time i was there, and the walk is a long one.

why would you expect a zoo? the only crowds i have ever seen at the gates is for the flights to south america at pier 3 in the morning. those can be avoided by checking through B and riding the shuttle over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.