Wiki Posts
Search

Dulles Diamond Checkpoint

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Dulles Diamond Checkpoint

Hi everyone-

Thanks for answering all my questions about the Dulles airport for my upcoming trip. I'm a bit nervous, thus all the questions

I understand if I want to clear security before 5 am I will have to clear the Diamond or the "Employee" checkpoint. Is it true there is no way to opt out of the AIT / body scanners at this checkpoint?

If it is true no opt out is available, is there an opt out available at the employee checkpoint? Please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Whenever, wherever (within the US) you're selected for the nude-o-meters, you can opt out ... period (that is a travel safety/security type question and see that forum if you want the miniutaie but really just tell the guy you opt out, and you'll be put to the side until someone can do the pat down)

As far as the security line, at that hour - figure on using the entrance for the employees -- its on the baggage claim level, probably around claim #6/7 and well marked. There might be a bit of a wait, if the TSA isn't well staffed and the employees are probably given priority.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 3:16 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
The two main security mezzanines are open 5am-10pm. The Dulles Diamond security checkpoint (between baggage carousels 8-10) is open 4am-6pm.

The Employee/Crew security checkpoint (between baggage carousels 7-8) is always open. Passengers are processed at this checkpoint between 10pm-4am.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers everyone!
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
This thread might be of interest:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/washi...g-changes.html

The Dulles Diamond Checkpoint is becoming an exclusively disabled checkpoint.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 5:49 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by 14940674
This thread might be of interest:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/washi...g-changes.html

The Dulles Diamond Checkpoint is becoming an exclusively disabled checkpoint.
Wrong. As the referenced thread describes, the now re-named "Dulles Checkpoint" is intended for groups and special-needs passengers (typically handicapped) - but is open to any passenger during regular hours of operation.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA MM
The Diamond lane is really no longer worth the walk. Generally the west side security check-point is your best bet.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by GottaGoFlying
The Diamond lane is really no longer worth the walk. Generally the west side security check-point is your best bet.
I think it's too soon to tell, but it was very busy this morning--I was tempted to walk to the regular line.

I showed up at the normal line last week, however, saw it was long and painful, then trekked all the way back to the diamond line, where the wait was manageable. I think I was still better off even with all the back-tracking.

This morning they were loudly and repeatedly call for people to remove liquids (I haven't done so at a major US airport in year) that I dared not risk it. So yes, it's becoming less pleasant.

Last edited by FBKSan; Oct 24, 2011 at 5:50 am
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Blue, United GM, Priority Club Platinum
Flying out in a couple of days (trying to beat the holiday rush). Is it still the case that the old diamond lane is no longer worth the bother? Or have things quietened down a little since the changes?

Also, one of the posters mentioned that the west side security is the best bet. Is that the BA/Delta side or the United side (I assume the former, looking at the google map).
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by scotti81
Is it still the case that the old diamond lane is no longer worth the bother? Or have things quietened down a little since the changes?

Also, one of the posters mentioned that the west side security is the best bet. Is that the BA/Delta side or the United side (I assume the former, looking at the google map).
I've found the old diamond lane to be hit or miss -- sometimes it's great, but sometimes the line extends outside the entrance to the lane. It's at least worth a look. And yes, the west side security is the Delta/SWA/BA side. I've almost always found that side to be less bad than the UA side.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA Blue, United GM, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by gvdIAD
I've found the old diamond lane to be hit or miss -- sometimes it's great, but sometimes the line extends outside the entrance to the lane. It's at least worth a look. And yes, the west side security is the Delta/SWA/BA side. I've almost always found that side to be less bad than the UA side.
Much obliged.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Dulles Diamond Lane now closed

Dulles Diamond Lane or checkpoint closed on Sept 5 due to the TSA security checkpoint that will be coming, but that won't start until Sep 25.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.