Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic > Washington D.C. (including Baltimore)
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 27, 11, 1:01 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13
How early should I arrive at IAD (Fri. 1 July)?

Hi everyone-

I'm traveling on AA 993 to Miami departing Dulles at 6 am on this coming Friday (July 1). I will be checking bags and this journey will ultimately end in Tegucigalpa Honduras (thus making it an international itinerary). How early should I arrive at IAD on Friday? I was planning on being there at 4am to be on the safe side. Should I be earlier? How busy will the AA counter at IAD be around 4am on a Friday? Thanks for the help!
mcc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 11, 5:59 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc123 View Post
Hi everyone-

I'm traveling on AA 993 to Miami departing Dulles at 6 am on this coming Friday (July 1). I will be checking bags and this journey will ultimately end in Tegucigalpa Honduras (thus making it an international itinerary). How early should I arrive at IAD on Friday? I was planning on being there at 4am to be on the safe side. Should I be earlier? How busy will the AA counter at IAD be around 4am on a Friday? Thanks for the help!
That's plenty of time. Whenever I travel, and I want to be safe, I plan for 30 mins of checkin and 30 mins of security. Never missed a flight.
ET12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 11, 7:14 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: DCA or IAD (originally DUB)
Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, Hertz Platinum, Marriott/SPG Gold
Posts: 5,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc123 View Post
Hi everyone-

I'm traveling on AA 993 to Miami departing Dulles at 6 am on this coming Friday (July 1). I will be checking bags and this journey will ultimately end in Tegucigalpa Honduras (thus making it an international itinerary). How early should I arrive at IAD on Friday? I was planning on being there at 4am to be on the safe side. Should I be earlier? How busy will the AA counter at IAD be around 4am on a Friday? Thanks for the help!
4am should be plenty early! 4.30am should be fine also. Do you have any status with AA or OW? If so, no need to be so early. Similar question to yours asked and answered here IAD - how long is security at 6-7 AM?
UAPremExecflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 11, 7:40 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Greater DC
Programs: UA plus
Posts: 12,938
Try the online check in with AA the night before, so hopefully you just need to drop the bags in the morning. Assuming you meant arriving at the terminal at 4am, the counter first opens 15 minutes later so you can sleep just a little later. Not sure what time TSA shows up, but I am fairly certain they will nit be staffed for whoever shows up, sonitbwill be slow. That said, the airport is dead at that hour so you should have no problem at all with making your flight.
GoingAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 11, 5:21 am   #5
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingAway View Post
Try the online check in with AA the night before, so hopefully you just need to drop the bags in the morning. Assuming you meant arriving at the terminal at 4am, the counter first opens 15 minutes later so you can sleep just a little later. Not sure what time TSA shows up, but I am fairly certain they will nit be staffed for whoever shows up, sonitbwill be slow. That said, the airport is dead at that hour so you should have no problem at all with making your flight.
TSA is a 24hour operation at IAD. The main checkpoints are open from 5AM-10PM. If you desire to go through security between 10PM-5AM, you need to go through Employee Security, which is located in the baggage claim level, 1 level below ticketing. This checkpoint is located next to baggage claim 8.
ET12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 11, 5:24 am   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Greater DC
Programs: UA plus
Posts: 12,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET12 View Post
TSA is a 24hour operation at IAD. The main checkpoints are open from 5AM-10PM. If you desire to go through security between 10PM-5AM, you need to go through Employee Security, which is located in the baggage claim level, 1 level below ticketing. This checkpoint is located next to baggage claim 8.
Interesting tidbit,
GoingAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 11, 7:55 am   #7
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,866
What does the airline say? Hopefully parking isn't bad, and the parking lot shuttles are operating on a regular basis that early.
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 11, 7:20 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: TYO
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 5,980
I wouldn't show up before 5 am.... If you are worried then maybe 04:50 to be safe.
gnaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 11, 8:16 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 13
Thanks for the information everyone! I really appreciate it!
mcc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 11, 12:26 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IAD
Programs: UA GS; AA EP; Le Club Platinum; PC Platinum; SPG Platinum
Posts: 378
5 AM.
Yuengling is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:51 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.