FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-atlantic-453/)
-   -   New Transit Option from BWI (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-atlantic/1185244-new-transit-option-bwi.html)

mhnadel Feb 17, 2011 12:55 pm

New Transit Option from BWI

With the opening of the Intercounty Connector on March 1st, there is going to be a new metrobus from BWI to the Shady Grove Metro Station. Route is numbered 201. It will be free for the first 2 weeks and $5 after that.

Given that it is a longer trip than to Greenbelt, this is probably only of use to people going to Rockville or Bethesda, but it might also help to Woodley Park or Dupont Circle, which are frequent tourist and convention destinations. And it is always good to have more options.

ColumbiaPete Feb 17, 2011 5:00 pm

More options are a good thing. That's going to be a long ride at first, they're only opening a portion of the ICC on March 1st, 7+ miles out of total of 18.

So not sure what the route will be but it's not going to be a quick trip. Probably quicker than going all the way into town from Greenbelt and back out again though, I guess.

ambyr Feb 18, 2011 2:21 pm

That's not a Metrobus route number. . .

Ah. An MTA bus.

The timetables are interesting. It's conceived as a commuter bus, so I'd expect it to run a little more frequently at rush hour and a little less frequently otherwise, but apparently not. And the way it's staggered--five hours in the morning where there's buses to BWI but not from, and four hours in the evening vice versa--makes me wonder where in their fleet they're pulling the buses from. They can't be planning to just run them empty one way.

ITravelThereforeIam Feb 24, 2011 1:55 pm

so this won't help me (i have never been to wash dc before and am planning to leave via BWI)...Don't flame me, please...I just saw the thread title and my research has only just begun on how to get there from downtown DC

violist Feb 24, 2011 2:14 pm

Try here.

Analise Feb 24, 2011 2:16 pm

I remember when I lived in MD in the 90s of talk of an intercounty connector but it will be done on March 1? Anyone have a map of it?

So it will be a $5 toll road....will it take EZ Pass? Will the whole thing be done?

euslaner Feb 25, 2011 1:50 am

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 15926386)
I remember when I lived in MD in the 90s of talk of an intercounty connector but it will be done on March 1? Anyone have a map of it?

So it will be a $5 toll road....will it take EZ Pass? Will the whole thing be done?

From what I have read, it will only take EZ Pass.

Analise Feb 25, 2011 9:00 am

I'm still trying to find a map of it online. Is it really going to open up next week to connect 270 with 95 (above the beltway I assume)?

choster Feb 25, 2011 10:19 am

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=intercounty+connector+map

http://www.iccproject.com/project-area.php

Analise Feb 25, 2011 11:18 am

Did you actually try these links, choster? :p The first one just shows a google result page with links but where is there a simple map that you can see the actual highway? If it were that easy, I wouldn't have asked. ;)

Hey there was one with bubble colored pop ups that blocked what looks like an attempt at a map. :D

joanek Mar 7, 2011 8:13 am

This map might be a bit better---and does show the one portion that is already open.
http://www.iccproject.com/PDFs/jan-11-rainbow-map.pdf

Analise Mar 16, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks. Which part is open now that it's past March 1? Does it intersect with the BW Parkway?

I thought the ICC would be further north than PG County; that's where the Capital Beltway is. I thought the part that connected with 95 would be midpoint b/w Baltimore and DC like in Howard County. Wasn't that the point? Or was it just a connector close to the beltway to relieve the 495 traffic...maybe that was the point.

mhnadel Mar 17, 2011 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 16045907)
I thought the part that connected with 95 would be midpoint b/w Baltimore and DC like in Howard County. Wasn't that the point? Or was it just a connector close to the beltway to relieve the 495 traffic...maybe that was the point.

What's open now is just from Shady Grove to Georgia Avenue (labeled as Route 97 and the signage has apparently already confused at least one transit reporter).

And, yes, the real intent was to alleviate traffic on the Beltway.

By the way, not only does it take EZ Pass, that's the preferred way to pay for it. The only other option is to have them photograph your license plate and send you a bill - which carries a $3 surcharge.

Analise Mar 17, 2011 11:03 am

Originally Posted by mhnadel (Post 16050945)
What's open now is just from Shady Grove to Georgia Avenue (labeled as Route 97 and the signage has apparently already confused at least one transit reporter).

Rt 97? Isn't there already a Rt 97 connecting Glen Burnie with Rt 50 outside of Annapolis?

And, yes, the real intent was to alleviate traffic on the Beltway.

By the way, not only does it take EZ Pass, that's the preferred way to pay for it. The only other option is to have them photograph your license plate and send you a bill - which carries a $3 surcharge.
I would think that most people already have EZ Pass. What is the cost of the ICC now? What will the final cost be when it opens completely? I assume EZ Pass users will pay a discount compared with those who pay with cash?

Thanks for the info.

mhnadel Mar 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 16052377)
I would think that most people already have EZ Pass. What is the cost of the ICC now? What will the final cost be when it opens completely? I assume EZ Pass users will pay a discount compared with those who pay with cash?

I think it's $1.45 now for the little bit that's open.

There is no way to pay with cash. Your only options are EZ Pass or having them photograph your license plate, mail you a bill, and hit you with a surcharge for the privilege.

And I don't know if most people have EZ Pass. Given that this is the first toll road in that area and Maryland's insistence on charging a few bucks a month for the convenience (though you can, of course, get an EZ Pass from other states), I think the only people who it ever made sense for are those who would drive north of Baltimore regularly.

Personally, I find it hard to imagine when I would ever use the ICC, but I live in Virginia.