Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

DCA security line time

DCA security line time

Old Jun 21, 2010, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

DCA security line time

in line at 5:51 am. finally screened at 6:16 am. the line was significantly longer at 6:16 than when i got into it.

before i got in line, i used the AA ticket kiosk to change seats(as a non elite, online i can only reserve middle seats in the back half of the plane.) that line was 10 min.

this is not nearly the lightning speed and walk through that the dca lovers and the iad haters claim.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 9:12 am

I have kind of noticed Monday mornings seem a little worse (at both counters and security checkpoints). Can't say reliably worse b/c I'm not there every Monday a.m. and can't say why generally. Tourists heading home? Gov't folks heading out on the road? Just don't know. One thing I have noticed is that TSA tends to get a little of a late start EVERY early morning at DCA and often (again, just as I recall) only opens one/two lines. Doesn't move very fast.

I will say I have never seen "short" AA lines at DCA. Nearly, every time I've flown AA out of DCA, I've been thankful for (a) status, (b) flying first class, (c) online checking (into a livable seat) and no checked bags. Where (a), (b) or (c) hasn't been an option, I silently weep.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
One thing I have noticed is that TSA tends to get a little of a late start EVERY early morning at DCA and often (again, just as I recall) only opens one/two lines
This has been my experience as well. I think there's a lot of lingering over pre-early morning shift coffees.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:04 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Any recommendations for how early to arrive at DCA for a 7:45am weekday UA flight? Is there an elite security line?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Any recommendations for how early to arrive at DCA for a 7:45am weekday UA flight? Is there an elite security line?
I believe UA shares a "concourse" with US Airways. There is no priority line for that area though I do recall there being one for the AA "terminal" though I've stopped being loyal to AA as of late.

The US/UA security line has gone pretty quick in my experience and I'd arrive by 6:40a if boarding starts at 7:15 and you dont want to be in a rush through the terminal.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold
I'm sorry - Terminal C is US Airways only. Terminal B is for American and United. I'm not sure if the American (Terminal B) elite line is for UA elites too. The FlyerTalk AA Wiki page states:

"The middle pier [Terminal B which also houses UA at DCA] has an elite security line to the left side of the entrance maze for (and I quote): first class, business class, airline club members, Platinum and Gold members, oneworld and star alliance members. It is not always open." ~ http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...rity_Lines_(AA)
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

i think that elite line on "B" is down the middle. it is easy to find. just follow the employees. it is not a separate line, just a straight cut through of the corral.

i think US has a a lot of flights out of B.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Originally Posted by slawecki

i think US has a a lot of flights out of B.
A large number of USAirways Express flights go out of Terminal B. I don't think any USAir mainline flights do, though. USAir runs a bus between B and C Terminals, but I don't know how frequently or if it's only operational during peak times
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TERM C is for US only. TERM B is US Express, UA, AA and Frontier. B has an elite security line. C does not (becs it includes 4 Shuttle gates and almost everybody on those flts is an elite). Both C and B move very quickly. PAX are typically experienced and TSA staffs well enough to move the ball along.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.