Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VS future with United-Continental

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

VS future with United-Continental

Any word on whether Virgin Atlantic will maintain a partnership with the new United once the merger is completed, or will that be a thing of the past now that Continental has become a part of United? What kind of mile sharing could there be?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:12 pm

Programs: their are many of them
I think it would be best if virgin were to join the star alliance. it would make the airline more of a threat to british airways

I have been wondering what will happen to the partnership with continental
Old Oct 31, 2011, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA global, VS Gld , SPG plat
You can still make CO rewar bookings on VS well into 2012 so whatever happens it will not be an over night termination.
Generally the codeshare benefits routes that UA do not currently serve and it makes commercial sence to maintain them.I am thinking particularly of LHR-JFK (where UA sold all their slots years ago) and onwards.
You can get a CO/VS codeshare from JFK to HKG which UA just cannot offer so.

However, what I would expect is codehare on certain roues only rather than pretty much all of them at present.

I also agree that VS should join * and resolve it otherwise they will get left out in the cold.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 12:44 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
I think you answered yourself, if VS joins *A I'd expect the codeshares to stay, if VS joins SkyTeam or another, then propbably not (other than a few strategic routes sadly).
Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:12 pm

Just as a datapoint, Hawaiian has already noted their Mileage Program website that their partnership with CO is terminating at the end of the year. Partners who are intending to terminate their ties with COUA beginning 2012 would typically have noted their websites by now - or at least their phone agents would know.

A call to Flying Club's partner desk revealed that CO operated flights in 2012 continue to be bookable as usual and they have not been notified of any changes to Flying Club's ability to use CO numbered flights. However, their phone agent did not know if the UA flights would be bookable once the CO flight numbers ceased to exist. She also had not heard of any changes to Virgin's position of staying out of Star Alliance. Did not discuss the BMI bid angle.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:00 am

Programs: Freelancer
I had no issues, just a few days ago, using CO miles to book a May 2012 flight LHR-LAX on VS.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
I also just booked a US-SE Asia award via Europe, with VS across the Pond in J. Very excited about this -- this is a rare, nice perk of this merger for us PMUA folks and I intend to take full advantage of it!

For those of us who can't stand EWR, it's a pleasure to have some flat-bed J options ex-JFK that don't require connections... ^
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:23 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
VS is no longer bookable on the continental.com website.

But I think you can still call to redeem the miles.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 1:15 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by amartin1979
VS is no longer bookable on the continental.com website.

But I think you can still call to redeem the miles.
Just tried a dummy booking on continental.com and the Virgin codeshares are still showing through Sept/Oct 2012.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I'm certainly hoping that VS keeps its relationship with CO and even expands it to joining *A. However, I would have thought that the advantages of joining *A will diminish hugely if there's no *A BMI to provide short-haul feed to VS at LHR.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold/SVN 3 Star Elite, ICG Plat Ambassador
Just booked EWR-LHR thru BOS and DUB-EWR thru LHR for Sept. 16-29 using CO miles, with VS Upper for both TATL segments. It's confirmed, so I guess it's solid!
Old Dec 1, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Two weeks ago I was able to book EWR-LHR using CO rewards for next Friday, one of the 'cheap' J options (50,000 miles o/w) was EWR-BOS-LHR with VS UC on the BOS-LHR portion. Checking today (8 days out), there is still seats available at the lower mileage cost. Also looking at various dates in early/mid 2012 VS is still showing as an option with CO rewards.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
Just tried a dummy booking on continental.com and the Virgin codeshares are still showing through Sept/Oct 2012.
+1 - Just booked a February flight SFO-LHR myself on CO.o.l.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Newbie VS flyer here - Are you able to use Continental miles to book a VS flight then or is it only VS miles for Continental flights?

I have alot of UA miles which I was saving to use on UA, and obviously at some point in 2012 the Continental & UA programmes will merge, but you can still transfer UA miles to CO at present and vice-versa.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:12 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Originally Posted by AdamUK
Newbie VS flyer here - Are you able to use Continental miles to book a VS flight then or is it only VS miles for Continental flights?

I have alot of UA miles which I was saving to use on UA, and obviously at some point in 2012 the Continental & UA programmes will merge, but you can still transfer UA miles to CO at present and vice-versa.
Yes you can, although I am not sure whether that's on all VS flights (I think it is) or only those codeshared with CO.

If you do, ensure that you get confirmation from VS of your booking, there's been a reported glitch between CO and VS for some people, in that CO's system shows your booking but doesn't successfully transfer the booking to VS's system. A smart CO agent will sort this for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.