Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin Atlantic AMEX - 45,000 miles signup bonus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club British Airways Executive Club

I already have the card, but my gf just got this offer in an e-mail: https://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/USCC...ntry?sc=UABJNM

Sounds like a good deal to me! Only have to spend $750 in 90 days to get 45,000 miles. Just passing along the word...

-Matt
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:08 pm

I also got the offer. $90 fee, not waived.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:51 pm

In summary, $800 cash plus $26,667 in credit card spend = one roundtrip upper class LAX-LHR.

$800 cash =
$600 award taxes/fees +
$180 annual credit fees for 2 years

100,000 VS miles =
45,000 sign-on +
15,000 threshold bonus @ $25,000 spend +
40,000 regular for $26,667 spend
Old Jan 20, 2011, 7:33 am

Also: Up to 5,000 bonus miles when adding additional Cardmembers***

Although I don't see any fine print on the "up to", that's usually easily done.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:03 pm
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Is the fuel surcharge applied to bookings on all partners ?

This seems to be very good offer: 50K miles sign up bonus is much higher than usual, no ? But I am quite surprised to see the lack of enthusiasm on this board. Are the VS miles really so useless ? Does VS charges a fuel surcharge on all partner redemptions ? Is there any other reasonable way to use the miles, e.g. gift cards ?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:25 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
In my personal opinion, VS points are far from useless - fuel surcharges are a pain, but not enough to negate the value of points redeemed for premium class travel. IMHO.

The lack of enthusiasm towards this thread may be explained by the fact that the majority of regular posters on this forum and UK based, and the thread concerns a US credit card.

I would certainly swap you card issuers.

Nick
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
In my personal opinion, VS points are far from useless - fuel surcharges are a pain, but not enough to negate the value of points redeemed for premium class travel. IMHO.

The lack of enthusiasm towards this thread may be explained by the fact that the majority of regular posters on this forum and UK based, and the thread concerns a US credit card.

I would certainly swap you card issuers.

Nick
Another special offer for our US brothers! Life sucks in the UK
Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by napilimom
Also: Up to 5,000 bonus miles when adding additional Cardmembers***

Although I don't see any fine print on the "up to", that's usually easily done.
From the T&C's: "You will receive 2,500 Flying Club miles for each of the first two authorized users added to your Card."
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: spg gold
I just saw this reveiw on one mile at a time

A credit card sign-up bonus I won’t be taking advantage of….
Virgin Atlantic is offering a sign-up bonus of 45,000 miles for their American Express co-branded credit card. You earn 2o,000 miles after your first purchase, and another 25,000 miles after $750 in purchases, plus 1.5 miles per dollar spent for all purchases. There’s a $90 annual fee. In theory this sounds tempting, since 45,000 miles is a pretty big sign-up bonus, not to mention earning 1.5 miles per dollar is great.

However, these are Flying Club miles, which I consider to be more of a liability than an asset. Actually, I consider them to be less valuable than Delta miles. A lot of people want to redeem for Upper Class on Virgin Atlantic, which seems to be a pretty good business class product. Redeeming through Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club, an award from New York to London roundtrip will cost you 90,000 miles and about $611 in taxes and fuel surcharges. You could book that same exact award through ANA (they’re partners with Membership Rewards and SPG) in Upper Class for 63,000 miles and about $400 less in fuel surcharges.

Yes, Virgin Atlantic has some decent partners with reasonable redemption rates, though at the end of the day you’re going to be paying fuel surcharges and higher redemption rates than elsewhere for just about every type of award. Furthermore, the fact that they have individual partners and aren’t part of an alliance is a negative, since you can’t mix airlines on a single award.

Ultimately I don’t think it’s worth collecting miles in a program that doesn’t have the best “deal” for at least some kind of redemption. For example, Delta has the best redemption rates on V Australia. British Airways has the best redemption rates for travel on LAN (and allows unlimited stopovers, meaning you can hit Lima, Santiago, and Easter Island all on a single award for 80,000 miles roundtrip in business class).

And for Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club I’m drawing a blank. I can’t think of a single type of award where they would be the most reasonably priced.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by jkoenig51

And for Virgin Atlantic’s Flying Club I’m drawing a blank. I can’t think of a single type of award where they would be the most reasonably priced.
How about only 6K miles for a return (r/t) Hawaii interisland flt. on HA? That equals 8 return interisland flights for a measly $90 fee.
HA charges 15K using their miles.

Last edited by philemer; Jun 29, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.