Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

V Australia frequent flyer program for US residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

V Australia frequent flyer program for US residents

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Question V Australia frequent flyer program for US residents

V Australia only lists the Virgin Blue frequent flyer program as where flight can be credited. However, the Velocity program does not allow enrollment by anyone who isn't resident in either Australia or New Zealand.

Are there any points programs to which V Australia flights could be credited that better cater to residents of the US (or Europe for that matter)?

Could V Australia flights be credited to Virgin Atlantic or Virgin America?

Or have a misunderstood how Velocity works? (Certainly a possibility.)

Note - I'm NOT suggesting that V Australia has any obligation to make frequent flyer benefits usable to people who don't go to Australia or New Zealand frequently. We're not their primary market. However, when trying to choose between Qantas, Air New Zealand, JetStar, and V Australia, these issues do come into question.

Thanks for anyone who can clarify this!

Last edited by adzel; Feb 10, 2009 at 7:54 am Reason: add additional information
Old Feb 10, 2009, 9:06 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Currently, their Velocity program is the only one you can opt into, and, as you pointed out, you have to be an Australian or NZ resident.

There have been rumors that there will be some reciprocity coming relatively soon with Virgin Atlantic.

There is also an interline agreement in place with Northwest Airlines (and I imagine that will be true when DL completes the merger with NW) and with Alaska Airlines. At this point, this doesn't mean much, but a few months ago the CEO of Northwest did say that they will be monitoring V Australia's progress and stronger links may be possible in the future.

I am not sure that Delta, who is about to enter the Australian market in a short few months, is going to want to go forward with any further agreements with a competitor.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Other than my card, Velocity Rewards has never mailed me anything. I'd just sign up with a NZ/Australian address assuming your flight is soonish (before VS Flying Club or VX Elevate become partners of VA).
Old Feb 10, 2009, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Other than my card, Velocity Rewards has never mailed me anything. I'd just sign up with a NZ/Australian address assuming your flight is soonish (before VS Flying Club or VX Elevate become partners of VA).
Problem is worse than that. Almost none of the rewards are useful to
someone not resident in Australia or New Zealand or who doesn't fly there frequently. The hotel awards are only good in Australia and New Zealand. The Velocity Store won't ship outside of Australia or New Zealand.

By contrast, Qantas and Air New Zealand are members of global alliances, so you can credit to other programs, but even if you join their programs, the awards are useful in the rest of the world as well.

That's all OK - most of their fliers will be Australian or New Zealand residents. The question is competitiveness against Qantas or Air New Zealand or Jetstar.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
I built up a lot of Velocity points when I lived in Aus. Now I'm living in the UK, I'm annoyed to find I cannot book flights for family and friends to visit the UK, because Velocity partners who fly to Europe: VS, MH, etc will only allow the cardholder to redeem flights for themselves.

But I can use them for DJ or VA flights for those still in Aus.

That said, I don't recall any requirement for Velocity members to remain Australian residents, and the points don't currently expire, so they'll be good for something eventually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.