Wiki Posts
Search

V Australia Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN
V Australia Questions

I just purchased a RT ticket on V Australia for LAX-SYD in April. At no time during the reservation/ticket buying process online was there mention of seat selection. Couldn't find any info on their website either. I wonder if they are going to be like SWA in the olden days when whoever got to the airport first, received a lower boarding pass number, ensuring them a better seat selection.

Also, it says flights are subject to regulatory approval. Their first flight commences Feb 27. What if they don't receive regulatory approval? Will they give a refund?

I'm looking forward to flying on a brand new airplane with better legroom and experience than Qantas or United.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
There is quite a lengthy (and recent) thread about V Australia: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...d-484-all.html

There is no way to select seats online at this point. People have reported success with calling V Australia directly to inquire about a) whether their flight will still depart as scheduled (to answer one of your questions) and b) were able to get seat assignments.

It seems that the Feb/early March flights may be in danger of being canceled, depending on the routing. Those who have been affected are getting a full refund but are not getting rebooked on other carriers.

AFAIK, the issue isn't regulatory approval but rather Boeing's delay in finishing the assembly of the first two aircraft (due to the Nov strike).
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by gosha83
AFAIK, the issue isn't regulatory approval but rather Boeing's delay in finishing the assembly of the first two aircraft (due to the Nov strike).
This is correct. The Boeing machinists' strike was directly responsible for blowing up V's initial-planned debut date and Christmas season revenue.

I know the 777s exist, because I live near Boeing / Paine Field and I've seen them on the flightline, but whether interior fittings and employee training will be done by the end of February is anyone's guess. I would think they'll be up and running by April though.

I'm intrigued by the product descriptions on the V Australia website but will hold off on booking until I see some photos (impossible as yet obviously), seat charts and FT trip reports.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Vitaforce
Also, it says flights are subject to regulatory approval.
I wouldn't worry - that is words their lawyers insist put on the website for new international routes before they start. VA has the approvals they need, just not yet the aircraft.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
VA has the approvals they need, just not yet the aircraft.
And that's better?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:06 pm

VA's 1st plane is/was scheduled to be "delivered" on Jan. 26 according to a December PR. It's arrival in Australia was scheduled for Feb. 7.

A.net has some photos
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:42 pm

Programs: TG TN DJ
Seat Selection available

Im booked on VA from SYD to LAX departing on 14 May, got the cheap $1100.00 fare, I rang the call centre and have assigned seating, so it can be done.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN
Thanks for the info. I'll try calling the toll free US number again. Tried last week and got disconnected.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 9:13 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue this discussion in the Virgin Flying Club Forum..
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Feb 5, 2009, 8:31 am

First aircraft is definitely all finished, I'm visiting it on the LAX tarmac tomorrow.

At that point I'll try to get a good outline of seat layouts so we all know what the "best" seats are for our TPAC trips.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Despite obscure2k's post above, I'm going to move this on over to the 'Other Australian' forum, since it is not about Virgin Atlantic, or Flying Club.

Please continue to discuss it there.

Jenbel
Co-moderator, Virgin Flying Club
Old Feb 6, 2009, 12:30 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
http://www.vaustralia.com.au/777/

I'm planning on being there to see it land... if anyone else is going drop me a PM and we can meet up.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:49 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Asia Miles
Great to see that VA have announced non-stop MEL/LAX flights from September, however when I tried to make a booking from ADL (on the days that non-stop flights are scheduled from MEL), the website would only offer me flights through SYD or BNE.

Certainly the 0600 DJ departure from ADL should provide enough time to connect. Could this be because the VA website hasn't been completely updated yet or beacause of the promo fare only bookings originating from MEL are being accepted.

Hopefully they will get it fixed soon, otherwise NZ might be getting some business their way.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 1:16 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
And a link to some more news

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-23349,00.html

Business Promo fares from $5999 Inc and PE from $2499 with 14 day advance purchases.

Also, VS corporate sales in the USA will be promoting VA as a partner and offering the same discounts.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
PE from $2499 with 14 day advance purchases.
PE roundtrip @ AUD$2499? Holy moly... that's about USD$1700 at today rates. I really hope they do this for ex-US departures!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.