Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Anyone here going to Virgin invited Ice Hockey Canada/USA match in Sydney June 17?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone here going to Virgin invited Ice Hockey Canada/USA match in Sydney June 17?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Got an RSVP invite to this during week, assumed it was a Velocity Platinum special event type thing.

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/event...017777/tickets

USA/Canada Ice Hockey Grudge match at Sydney Olympic Stadium, with dressing room access, ring side seats, and so on.

Just wondered if any other FT members will be there - might need to arrange special handshake etc!

Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Nothing here for this Plat ..
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Well unless you are based in SYD, there was unlikely to have been, and your profile does not say.

I did reply YES to RSVP and it then transpired that one needed to meet OUTSIDE at Sydney Olympic Park at 5pm for the Virgin hostess and other guests - bitterly cold that night. It finished about 10pm.

I asked if they had a cocktail reception or refreshments etc, sometime during that 5 hours, and was clearly told guests could BUY whatever they wanted from vendors there, and that was the deal.

I assumed it was hosted in some Corporate Box type deal etc, but apparently not? Anyway, 5 hours (plus hour each way travel for me) on a Saturday, I chose to sit at home and watch the Swans AFL and other matches on Foxtel in a nice warm lounge, than get chilly at a hockey game.

I asked a Canadian friend who is Hockey mad if these were the top guys, and he laughed and said there were NO NFL players among them, just kids on try out lists etc, and so on, all up for an end of season junket to oz. i.e. the C or D teams it seemed, from his reply.

The IDEA was good, and be nice to see these things once a year ro so, but if targeted at Platinum flyers, who often spent a great deal of money with Virgin, seems a little cheapskate in the actual concept and implementation. Not even a beer, wine or sandwich all night it appears? Pretty rude really.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
Well, there wouldn't have been any NFL players, since they play Gridiron. That game is still entertaining to watch if you love ice hockey though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.