Wiki Posts
Search

Velocity Gold - Massive Devaluation

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity
Velocity Gold - Massive Devaluation

For all those of us who worked hard to get Gold and above the FlyBuys 3 month Gold membership trial with VERY low bar set to maintain Gold beyond the trial is an absolute joke.
Not only will it flood the lounges but the Priority Boarding queue may well be nullified.
I foresee an American system in the near future with staggered Priority Boarding. ie Platinum first, then Gold.
My wife and I are Platinum and having had probably an 80% success rate on booking row 3 I am now achieving maybe a 40% on getting it thanks to Economy X opening it up to anyone with a few extra bucks to spend.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Haven't a problem with it really.

Most of the challenging SG's will be gone by spring, so only a short term thing.

As for economy X, I am finding it less crowded up front when travelling.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
The FlyBuys Explorer Gold promotion has been rolling for at least six months. This is just another round of that. I am nt sure that it has made a noticeable change to anything - but it is obviously working given that they keep doing it.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:45 pm

The promotion is heavily capped in terms of numbers permitted to join AFAIK. They have a quota in the order of 100's - a drop in the ocean for how many Golds there are.

And it's not a guaranteed thing, one applies and has to wait up to 4 weeks to see if VA approves the trial. Then chances of those actually taking a flight could be slim.

I think you're over reading into it.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:49 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Promotional status doesn't devalue things to a great degree in my opinion.

If these people don't fly enough to maintain gold, they won't crowd lounges or take up seats. Sure, there is something there but I don't think getting upset about it will help anything.

I suspect the Economy X has more to do with your seat assignment struggles than a targeted promotion.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:03 am

I got this "offer" ( or perhaps "invitation to apply" is more accurate). Haven't flown Virgin for years, other than to run down the points ( now zero balance, bottom status). There has been no reason for me to choose Virgin as a QF PLT ( Life Gold), but disincentives given no benefits.
I will fly Virgin if I get it ( 50/50 with Qantas), if I don't then nothing lost.
Surely it makes sense for Virgin to steal some business from Qantas . The only attempt in recent years was the risible "strategy" to target public servants for PLT.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Since VA has decreased the number of status credits that can be earned on its cheapest flights I'm now very careful about what I book and with whom I fly. As most of my flights SYD-MEL are on a Sunday afternoon where time is less of a concern I'm more inclined to forego 5 SCs and pay Tiger less than $100 than pay Virgin $150 or more. If I'm paying that sort of money I'd be choosing to pay the higher fare and get 15 SCs. However I'm very carefully husbanding my SCs so I end up exactly on or just over the 400 I need to re-qualify for Gold, and I get these mostly flying SYD-MEL when the time of the flight is important to me. Lounge access on a Sunday afternoon?! Lounge is full of ankle-biters so not a pleasant experience anyway
jumpingenes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.